+ Reply to Thread

Thread: This Says It All

Red face This Says It All

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GSEG5apfrw

0:25 I'm a pretty busy person with a 9-5 job and a family...

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GSEG5apfrw

0:25 I'm a pretty busy person with a 9-5 job and a family...
    That dragon sounds a lot like Satan* on South Park.

* not as cool as Super Devil

That is hilarious! and true! I thought this was real until I woke up and saw it was from Machinima... That's really exactly what happened. My fondest memories of WoW were from Molten Core, Blackwing Lair and Ahn'Qiraj... it's sad that they pump out so much content so fast. Do they feel like people will lose interest? Because I don't even think many people even got to see the content before they threw it out for something bigger (not necessarily better).... it made me sad to see it all come and go so quickly... I hope Trion doesn't make the same mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Apherdite View Post
    That is hilarious! and true! I thought this was real until I woke up and saw it was from Machinima... That's really exactly what happened. My fondest memories of WoW were from Molten Core, Blackwing Lair and Ahn'Qiraj... it's sad that they pump out so much content so fast. Do they feel like people will lose interest? Because I don't even think many people even got to see the content before they threw it out for something bigger (not necessarily better).... it made me sad to see it all come and go so quickly... I hope Trion doesn't make the same mistake.
    I didn't like that they MOVED the players to something else (like going to Outland) without developing what was ALREADY THERE. Expansions shouldn't just be in territory, but in existing content and activities.

Not that they haven't done that as well - I'm just talking about Blizz's focus.

Yeah, I definitely agree with that as well... Azeroth was HUGE... and now it's practically abandoned. There was so much content and so much they could have expanded upon. I did always enjoy the high level zones next to the low level zones, I died so many times leveling

Once you go down the road of catering to your established and power gaming player base while at the same time marketing the game as ultra casual friendly, it quickly turns into a "catch 22" situation, you can't retain one group of subscribers without alienating the other, thru empty zones, trivialized loot/content/accomplishments etc..

Luckily for Blizzard, due to their very successful marketing campaign, they have a constant stream of new recruits, from Asia and elsewhere, and along with cranking out more "carrot on a stick" expansions for the old timers, it will keep em going until they're finished making their other mmo and try to recreate the miracle once again.

One thing I like about Rift is the fact that they're trying to add high level content in low level dungeons thru a sort of tiered system, once you're a certain level, another tier of the dungeon opens up, but the dungeon is still in that old familiar zone, and retains its original theme.

They could technically keep it going even with expansions, and expand on established areas instead of constantly making new zones and continents, creating huge dead zones in the game and wasting a whole lot of art/lore/theme assets.

Another way to keep the game from the kind of "farm some mobs so you can kill bigger mobs ad nauseum" stagnation you see in WoW and other pve gear centered games, is a constant, evolving RvR conflict, that's fluid and constantly being expended upon, with real, tangible rewards on a personal, guild and faction level, that's really worth fighting for.

I know a lot of people have mixed feelings about PvP, but I honestly think that a 50/50 mix of pve and pvp content makes for the best game, you just cant get the kind of gameplay and replay value from a purely ai driven pve game, that you could from guild and faction rivalry, politics, backstabbing and all the other fun stuff that pvp/rvr brings to the table, I think a pve/pvp hybrid can be done, and done well, and Trion just might succeed where others have failed.
    Last edited by Valgris; 10-21-2010 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valgris View Post
    Once you go down the road of catering to your established and power gaming player base while at the same time marketing the game as ultra casual friendly, it quickly turns into a "catch 22" situation, you can't retain one group of subscribers without alienating the other, thru empty zones, trivialized loot/content/accomplishments etc..

Luckily for Blizzard, due to their very successful marketing campaign, they have a constant stream of new recruits, from Asia and elsewhere, and along with cranking out more "carrot on a stick" expansions for the old timers, it will keep em going until they're finished making their other mmo and try to recreate the miracle once again.

One thing I like about Rift is the fact that they're trying to add high level content in low level dungeons thru a sort of tiered system, once you're a certain level, another tier of the dungeon opens up, but the dungeon is still in that old familiar zone, and retains its original theme.

They could technically keep it going even with expansions, and expand on established areas instead of constantly making new zones and continents, creating huge dead zones in the game and wasting a whole lot of art/lore/theme assets.

Another way to keep the game from the kind of "farm some mobs so you can kill bigger mobs ad nauseum" stagnation you see in WoW and other pve gear centered games, is a constant, evolving RvR conflict, that's fluid and constantly being expended upon, with real, tangible rewards on a personal, guild and faction level, that's really worth fighting for.

I know a lot of people have mixed feelings about PvP, but I honestly think that a 50/50 mix of pve and pvp content makes for the best game, you just cant get the kind of gameplay and replay value from a purely ai driven pve game, that you could from guild and faction rivalry, politics, backstabbing and all the other fun stuff that pvp/rvr brings to the table, I think a pve/pvp hybrid can be done, and done well, and Trion just might succeed where others have failed.
    Here here!

I especially love returning to dungeons.

Here's hoping that even after all of the launch content, that dungeons continue to change as the story does, in sometimes very strange and fantastic ways

+ Reply to Thread