+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I am really confused by the sense of entitlement to these beta keys

Default I am really confused by the sense of entitlement to these beta keys

I honestly DONT get it. If the Rift team wants to give away some keys as a marketing ply to get some hype going about impending beta, that is their right to do so (I am pretty freaking confident that they also have - and will add even more - beta testers who will work hard to test the game). If you want to play the marketing game (as I - and many others - did today) to see if you can get one of those keys, its YOUR choice to do so. And if you dont like HOW they are handling these contests, dont DO them.

Deciding to sit around and click refresh entitles you to NOTHING. Posting continually on a forum entitles you to NOTHING. None of us are entitled to a key at all. . . if you get one you do, and if you dont, then you can always play when the game comes out. ;-) They will chose who they want and however they want, and given that they cant choose everyone (or everyone at once) and they dont OWE anyone a key for anything. lol

Quote Originally Posted by ryashani View Post
    i honestly dont get it. If the rift team wants to give away some keys as a marketing ply to get some hype going about impending beta, that is their right to do so (i am pretty freaking confident that they also have - and will add even more - beta testers who will work hard to test the game). If you want to play the marketing game (as i - and many others - did today) to see if you can get one of those keys, its your choice to do so. And if you dont like how they are handling these contests, dont do them.

Deciding to sit around and click refresh entitles you to nothing. Posting continually on a forum entitles you to nothing. None of us are entitled to a key at all. . . If you get one you do, and if you dont, then you can always play when the game comes out. ;-) they will chose who they want and however they want, and given that they cant choose everyone (or everyone at once) and they dont owe anyone a key for anything. Lol
    but i hit f5 so many times!!

Hehehe, so did I, but I dont feel as though I 'earned' a key just by playing along ;-)

Hehehe, so did I, but I dont feel as though I 'earned' a key just by playing along ;-)
    Nah I was kidding. Never even attempted.

Just pointing out what so many on these forums and on Facebook are complaining about.

I know, it really blows my mind.

I wonder if these people ever saw some of the promos that radio stations do? Like where the contestants have to keep their hands on a car for as long as they can and whoever is still touching the car at the end wins. Only one person gets the car, but do those that werent willing to go without sleep and pee themselves cry that they still deserve a car just for playing along???

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    but i hit f5 so many times!!

omg F5 works? i logged out and logged in everytime to get updates
    You need people like me. so you can point your finger and say. Hey thats the bad guy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tergar View Post
    omg F5 works? i logged out and logged in everytime to get updates
    hahahahahahahahaha

If the keys were handed out based on how many bugs you could eat in a 10-minute timespan, we'd get six threads complaining about how icky the bugs tasted.

(No offense to any bugs out there - I know not all of you taste bad. Pass the beetles.)

Maybe they are really doing this to weed out the whiners out of the beta pool ;-)

Shield of Telara

I've applied in the beta app thread and entered into 2 competitions I thought were fun. But thats all I'm doing lol. If that isn't enough to get into beta, then I don't get in and thats the end of it. No big deal.

Why do ducks have webbed feet?...To stamp out fires

Why do elephants have flat feet?...To stamp out burning ducks.

I entered a contest. When I go check out facebook, which I do once a day, I'll either get a chance or not...mostly not. I'm just not counting on it. I cover the forums a lot, but still I'm not the fastest chicken in the coop. Did I want to help find bugs? you bet. But now we are at the point where it's mostly PR and focus testing and would I still like to do that? heck, yeah. But generally, I have the feeling I'll probably be lucky to see an open beta. Will I be disappointed I couldn't participate? Yes, but I'll deal with it.

Just people throwing fits because they think they deserve one over everyone else in the world. Rediculous and childish. The true character of community members came out when the keys did.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbid View Post
    Just people throwing fits because they think they deserve one over everyone else in the world. Rediculous and childish. The true character of community members came out when the keys did.
    Maybe that's why the contest happened? lol

Deciding to sit around and click refresh entitles you to NOTHING. Posting continually on a forum entitles you to NOTHING. None of us are entitled to a key at all. . . if you get one you do, and if you dont, then you can always play when the game comes out. ;-) They will chose who they want and however they want, and given that they cant choose everyone (or everyone at once) and they dont OWE anyone a key for anything. lol
    That's a pretty bad attitude to have. They ow it to the people who work there to make their game succeed for one.

Secondly, the whole way they are conducting this beta is weird and non-standard, gimmicky and I've said it before, disrespectful. If you advertise your game with a beta, don't make your players jump through hoops and pretend there is an open beta when there's really not. If you want to hit F5 all day, be my guest I have better things to do.

If companies acted the same way you just did, they would have 0 players. You're right, they do ow us nothing and with that said, the game will close it's doors a few weeks after release if they mismanage it.

Discussing this with some people is pointless. You know absolutely nothing about this company or their game and you're jumping in front of the train trying to save their chickens, amusing, yes, rational, no.
    Last edited by Aurelie; 10-21-2010 at 02:43 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast