+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Males who play female toons

Rift Chaser

Default Males who play female toons

Back in the day of D&D, rarely did anyone play a character of the opposite gender, however in MMO's this does not seem to be the case.

All the female players that I know, myself included, play exclusively female characters, while the guys seem to be around 50/50.

I know the general response from male players is that they prefer to look at female toons, but I think it's a deeper difference than that.

I've tried to play male characters, they're pretty, I like looking at them. I also feel like I'm in drag.

I think that girls make a connection with the visual representation of themselves in game that guys just don't.

Comments?

Plane Touched

I'm a guy and I make female toons and try to make them look as close to my fiance as I can /shrug

Rift Master

I am a guy and up until Rift, have always played a guy character and am a guy.

But the guardian avatar ugly male characters are sort of pushing me towards the female characters.....

If only we had more options for customization, I might stay true to my old school gamer ways of a guy playing a guy.

But unless something changes, when it goes live, I will play a Lesbian....

Maybe because I'd rather play the superior half of our species?

No, I'm not kidding either......
    CPU: i7 920 @ 3.6Ghz MB: ASUS Rampage III Extreme RAM: 12GB Corsair Vengeance Video: 2 x EVGA 670 FTW's in SLI HD: Crucial M4 256GB SSD LCD: Shimian 2560x1440

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Rielyn View Post
    I think that girls make a connection with the visual representation of themselves in game that guys just don't.
    While this is a wide generalization, I can tell you that my wife cares about how her character looks, while I do not. This would support your theory at least for her.
    RIFT is trying to do to WoW what WoW did to EQ. -nocaps

Shadowlander

I sometimes do play a female alt-- usually only a robe wearing class, as I ususally don't like the robes on the guy toons

Quote Originally Posted by BKR2879 View Post
    Maybe because I'd rather play the superior half of our species?

No, I'm not kidding either......
    I loled ....PS: You got a little brown spot on your nose ;)

Im male: I started playing female toons after listening to a podcast like audio file back in the Asheron's Call 1 days. The guy that did it said, "If I am going to stare at an @$$ all day, Id rather stare at a female version than a male"
    Last edited by Extell; 01-31-2011 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rielyn View Post
    Back in the day of D&D, rarely did anyone play a character of the opposite gender, however in MMO's this does not seem to be the case.

All the female players that I know, myself included, play exclusively female characters, while the guys seem to be around 50/50.

I know the general response from male players is that they prefer to look at female toons, but I think it's a deeper difference than that.

I've tried to play male characters, they're pretty, I like looking at them. I also feel like I'm in drag.

Comments?
    I rated your thread.

A little kindness goes a long way.

I like pretty girls, usually more than I like looking badass or tough so naturally I roll female characters. Every time I try to deviate from that, I find myself unable to, drawn back to playing female characters once again.

I can't say the *** argument applies for me. I like my character to look good in general.
    Interested in roleplaying in Rift? Check out the Rift RP roleplaying community!

Future high elf or kelari warrior. Depends on how I like their aesthetics and their respective factions.

Oh noes! Another elf player! Kill eet!

I wouldn't want to strictly from the stand point of not wanting that awkward moment later on when your friends find out that you are a guy they've been talking to the whole time and not a girl.

But thats just me.
    "We are the architects of our own design, be it failure or otherwise"

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Most D&D players I know play both male and female characters, and it's been that way for at least twenty years, probably thirty. This is true of everyone I know who plays RPGs, male or female, including transgendered people.

In short, the plural of anecdote is not data. That you happen to know only girls who play only female characters doesn't mean it's universal. I think roleplayers tend to both connect more strongly with characters and be more able to make characters who aren't as much like themselves.

Didn't I see this thread already before it faded into oblivion where it belonged? Use a search feature dude.

Sorry OP but I have to disagree

Being female, I rolled a male toon for some light relief and really enjoyed it instantly

My reason?

He looked hawt and it is total fantasy playing another gender - so yes, I can see why guys like playing female toons

Only bit that was awkward was when the gals hit on him O.o

I play through my male characters - they tend to be avatars (in the hindu sense of the ancient word) for various electronic fantasy incarnations of my self.

However, when I roll and play a female toon, I tend to relate with them more like I do daughters: I tend to want to spoil them, give them the best gear, all the frills, take them on adventures through the woods and in the caves. I talk about them in the third person because they're not really direct representations me in the same sense as my boys.

Strange but true.
    (shrugs)

People I run with have names for those males who play females.
    Manginas and Grape Smugglers, that being said, several people I run with are Grape Smugglers.
    I have done it on a few occasions, but much prefer to play a character of my gender.
    Opulence, I haz it!!!

Putting the Laughter back into Slaughter!!!

<Support UI Improvements>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast