+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: SOE finally get the idea for EQ2

Prophet of Telara

Default SOE finally get the idea for EQ2

So I see SOE have finally realised that server merges are needed for EQ2. I got an email yesterday deatiling what would happen.

All I can say is 'about damn time you realised this, SOE'. If they'd noticed this was needed a year and a half to two years back then they might still have my money.

Of course the whole social structure of the game might be shot to pieces, relying as it does on raiding and guilds, but perhaps this will breathe some life in to the old dog. Or are SOE just milking another cash cow?

It was a great game but I can't help but think that some things are mismanaged.
    We Were The Defiant

Then Rift went Trivial and Dull

Quote Originally Posted by anagain View Post
    but I can't help but think that some things are mismanaged.
    Yep, and mismanagement in that case starts with the president himself, a certain John Smedley who has the obsessive tendency to destroy every good game he can get into his fingers....
    ELDER of TELARA

Proud member of NEMESIS

Quote Originally Posted by anagain View Post
    Or are SOE just milking another cash cow?
    It's what they do^^.

I think they're trying to win back some of the EverQuest 2 crowd after EverQuest 2: Extended failed to live up to their expectations. The update before last included absolutely no content for the actual game, instead it changed the UI to a more newbie-friendly format, added Station Cash mounts to merchants, "updated" the spell effects, etc. - all in preparation for a flood of new players hitting the Free to Play server.

One of the red names on the official forums (can't find the exact post right now) subtly hinted that EverQuest 2: Extended wasn't generating nearly as much money as they had hoped.

Shortly after that, the new and "improved" spell effects (which most people hated) were reverted and update 58 rolled around. Must admit I no longer play EverQuest 2 (because of certain game updates in the past) but most people on the forums seem generally pleased. I may resubscribe for a month to check out the update and make sure my characters don't get renamed in the merger.

That said, I still think SoE is following the wrong format for the next expansion - but not enough information out to tell for sure, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Caracarn View Post
    Yep, and mismanagement in that case starts with the president himself, a certain John Smedley who has the obsessive tendency to destroy every good game he can get into his fingers....
    I agree, he does seem to ruin every game, VG, EQ2, even EQ1 somewhat, I used to defend SoE, but it changed awhile back. I'm only playing EQ2 til Rift comes out, need some form of entertainment heh

I got the email too! I LOL'd a bit, considering that I had some characters on 2 servers, my original Everfrost and on Blackburrow where I played a lil bit with some new friends from Aion at the beginning of this year. And of course, they're merging those two. What a coincidence!

lol its about dam time.

They still need to stop treating VG players like crap though. It really saddens me because i think SOE can make a good game but every time its always destroyed one way or another. Im hoping DCUO might show hope for SOE.

This would be the second sever merger if I was still active.

They reverted and took off the SC button and all that awful stuff?

Is there any place to see that EQ2X did not meet expectations? <she asks gleefully>

There F2P plan is horrible compared to what Turbine does with DDO/LOTRO. I was playing on Mistmoore earlier this year and it was terrible. Not only has the game aged horribly - never cared for their art style in the first place - but it was always empty. I'm LOTRO now and loving it. However Turbine overshot with too many servers for F2P too and they need to merge these in as several of these new servers are just way too empty. While we know companies don't like to do this as they see it as bad PR, not doing so is even one as it just caues people to leave early on. Companies should always react to these sorts of things much earlier than they do as now. How many people have they lost simple because they waited so long? This is another reason they should show ACTIVE server populations.
    "Midget soothsayer robs bank. Small medium at large!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    If this was in response to my comment, then no - they did not take off the Station Cash button as far as I know, unfortunately. They simply reverted the spell effects, which most people hated, that went in with the "EverQuest 2: Extended Update". Last I heard, their stance on the Station Cash button was that management required them to keep the "alternative" source of revenue present on the UI, or something odd like that.

In regards to EverQuest II, SoE seems to be taking two steps back, one step forward. They do something to bring in new players and when their existing players leave and no new players join, they try to win back the old. Once EverQuest 2: Extended caps out, if it hasn't already, SoE will have two EverQuest 2s to support.

P.S. - this is my view from the outside since I lost hope and unsubscribed from EverQuest 2 months ago, but I still frequent the forums and have many friends still playing who I speak to quite frequently. I'm sure anyone here who still plays could comment more accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    Nevah!

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/5...oncashicon.jpg

Yeah, I've been unsubscribed for a while. One can hope they would see the light and go back to being a quality game. Sigh*

Maser that just made me laugh, thanks.

Actually, this is a bad sign, especially since its so close to the release of f2p. It means that all of us who left after the announcement were right. They were going to screw us all.

I think we should just take the warning labels off of everything and let evolution do it's work. Weed out the stupid people.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    There F2P plan is horrible compared to what Turbine does with DDO/LOTRO. I was playing on Mistmoore earlier this year and it was terrible. Not only has the game aged horribly - never cared for their art style in the first place - but it was always empty. I'm LOTRO now and loving it. However Turbine overshot with too many servers for F2P too and they need to merge these in as several of these new servers are just way too empty. While we know companies don't like to do this as they see it as bad PR, not doing so is even one as it just caues people to leave early on. Companies should always react to these sorts of things much earlier than they do as now. How many people have they lost simple because they waited so long? This is another reason they should show ACTIVE server populations.
    I played on Mistmoore until last August when I finally left because the devs were being j3rks. It was NOT empty.

I'm playing LOTRO right now, and I don't know what server you're playing on, but most of the time I have to wait to get in to play so noooo, its not too many servers. There are already too many players for the number of servers. Turbine didn't do what EQ2 did and keep f2p separate. In fact, everyone is playing on the same servers and they are too full to handle all the players.

Actually, the f2p thats been offered by Turbine has been really good. Especially compared to the insanity being offered by SOE. Of course SOE isn't making the money they thought the would, because they're screwing everyone they can AND they lost a huge amount of their vets over it.

I think we should just take the warning labels off of everything and let evolution do it's work. Weed out the stupid people.

i left the game right as LON went in and glad i did
    But But it worked in Dev!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast