+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alberta Tar Sands = fail

Default Alberta Tar Sands = fail

In the last 80 years we have come so far with our use of Petroleum, I’m sure everyone is becoming tired of the high gas prices and wishes there would be a better way to get around, one that puts less strain on the environment.

After the BP disaster everyone wanted it to be fixed to stop the pollution. But what if it didn’t stop? Would it upset you? What if I told you it was still happening just not in the same location.

Well welcome to the 2nd largest oil deposit in the whole world. Alberta’s Tar Sands.

My wife and I just finished watching http://www.petropolis-film.com/

The movie is all aerial video as they fly over numerous facilities, the whole thing disgusts me.
    I’m not normally a tree huger by any means but this is beyond environmental genocide.
    All that land was once lush forest, now its nothing but toxic waste. Not to mention what they are putting back into the water.

I’m sad to be Canadian (human) today; as guardians of the the largest landmass we are failing, just because we want cheap gas.

I hope I’m not the only one that feels this strongly.
    You can find the video on Netflix, I watched it on my PS3.
    Last edited by Sals; 10-15-2010 at 05:03 AM. Reason: spell
    Coda Rocklift Bard
    It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.

Not to take a side one way or another, but you shouldn't make judgments having seen only one side of what is a complex issue, not on this, not on anything.

The answer imo is not finding better places to drill or better countries to invade for oil. The answer is you and me selling our cars. Personally (and sadly), I'm not willing.
    Last edited by Arieste; 10-15-2010 at 05:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arieste View Post
    Not to take a side one way or another, but you shouldn't make judgments having seen only one side of what is a complex issue, not on this, not on anything.

The answer imo is not finding better places to drill or better countries to invade for oil. The answer is you and me selling our cars. Personally (and sadly), I'm not willing.
    It isn't about giving up our cars, it is about manufacturing cars that require far far less gas, or even zero.
    GM had a mass produced elecrtic car almost 10 years ago. But the oil company put such a strain on production, that GM had to scrap the project. http://www.sonyclassics.com/whokilledtheelectriccar/

We have the knowledge to get there, but the oil companies don't want it.
    Coda Rocklift Bard

We have a Canadian company that builds a fully electric car. They can not be purchased in Canada. I wonder why that is.
    I have learned that the Zenn Car is no longer produced or available for sale in Canada.
    Maybe certain MP's are getting cut backs from oil companies.
    http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/Artic...aspx?e=2677497

It just stinks of a hush campaign.
    Coda Rocklift Bard

Have you looked into the environmental/geopolitical disaster that is battery production/disposal for those electric cars? And what fuel is used to produce the electricity?

There's a study somewhere about how buying used cars with decent or good MPG is better than buying a new hybrid, or a prius due to the cost/energy/ect it takes to make a car of that caliber/brand new machines.

There are so many functioning used cars out there that just rot while people toss out 50k for a brand new one. It's gross.

Though I can understand the feeling of wanting to know your backseat has never been used...

Quote Originally Posted by Kula View Post
    Have you looked into the environmental/geopolitical disaster that is battery production/disposal for those electric cars? And what fuel is used to produce the electricity?

There is always that side of the coin. Just seems no matter what way we go there is always going to be a consequence.
    I guess if your not walking everywhere you will always be polluting in one way or another. Unless you drop a fart as you’re walking.

I know that things are not going to change in my lifetime, seeing that movie on Thursday enraged me, I felt I had to get some thoughts off my chest.
    Coda Rocklift Bard

Quote Originally Posted by Delith View Post
    There's a study somewhere about how buying used cars with decent or good MPG is better than buying a new hybrid, or a prius due to the cost/energy/ect it takes to make a car of that caliber/brand new machines.

There are so many functioning used cars out there that just rot while people toss out 50k for a brand new one. It's gross.

Though I can understand the feeling of wanting to know your backseat has never been used...
    We have become a throw away society, new = better. I have noticed this alot in my community, all the new big box stores that replaced there older smaller ones have moved further north, now areas that use to be busy are full off empty units for lease.

The back seat and the stick shift. :P
    Coda Rocklift Bard

+ Reply to Thread