+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: What Do You Think Of RIFT?

Default What Do You Think Of RIFT?

Alongside SWTOR, this is the best MMO I have ever played ( Though I am only 14.) There is an amazing amount of choice here and it's the first F2P MMO I've played that isn't P2Win. How long have you been playing and what do you think of RIFT so far?
    Since life is merely a conversation, pay attention the words and the lyrics that they be sayin'...
    - Angel Haze

Default Rift like Defiance has died

I log in and maybe 20-40 people on a shard during the week.On a weekend maybe 2ce that. Rift devs have refused to see the problems and fix them correctly. In my case PvP has so many problems I'm not sure it could be fixed and maintain some semblance of the MMO Rift.The devs have bandaged some problems (nerfed abilities,enhanced others,gotten rid of some spells and abilities all together, then re-enhanced old ones) but none have worked well.With so many MMOs out there why can't Rift dev teams see these issues others(other MMOs) have and work to make sure those do not occur? AA is also on it's way out but for other reasons than PvP.

Maybe some company will just actually make a p2w MMO announce that it IS one and because this is what a company is in business for to make money with the items players want. If it takes 50USD to make ones character the way one wants to and increase items power on a monthly scale for 40USD/month then sure, why mince words? Just let customers know this is what a certain amount of money gets your character and go from there. Maybe have contests to actually win some of them items (useful ones not cosmetic ones) players are paying 5-20 dollars for. Also it rids the MMO of any gold farmer spam as well. If the MMO company advertises that a max level (blank) character with top of the line equipment for PvE costs a certain amount and if one wanted PvP equipment it would cost another amount then so be it. Some would not play others would, just like now, but more honest. Here's an idea, "rentable" equipment!! You want to duel or PvP, just go to the online store and rent equipment for your character's level. That way your not stuck with obsolete equipment. Oh well, Trion needs to let another company give you a helping hand, on never mind that's what ya did with XL...

Well, since you're only 14, I suppose you haven't had the experience you've had here so far, at least on the forums. A LOT of people have axes to grind and seem to think if the game isn't JUST SO, especially the way THEY like to play, then it's all crap. I've been playing MMORPGs since Ultima Online launched in 1997, and Rift is still the most diverse game I have ever seen. There are thousands of possible "builds" for a character and each one has their own special perks as well as weaknesses. And yes, some things need to be fixed here and there, but the game DOES get regular updates and hotfixes, and despite what some butt-hurt people say, the Devs do listen IF you go through the proper channels (and not insulting them on the forums is also a nice touch, because who wants to help someone when they are calling you names all the time, right?)

So anyway - that's my take on it. Keep leveling your character and learning more about how to play it, find some friends or join a guild, and just make it about YOUR happy play time - and don't listen to grumblers. That's pretty much all I have to say about that....

Peace!
    Doob

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMusic View Post
    Alongside SWTOR, this is the best MMO I have ever played ( Though I am only 14.) There is an amazing amount of choice here and it's the first F2P MMO I've played that isn't P2Win. How long have you been playing and what do you think of RIFT so far?
    I have been playing Rift since a couple of weeks after release and I still really like it. I definitely had more fun in 2011 than I have had in Rift between 2012-2014, but it is still my favorite current MMO and like you said it is F2P at that. Glad you like it, have fun!

Default What do you think of Rift?

Not much really...

It WAS a great game.

Plane Walker

The best MMO I've played was WoW. As to Rift, I've been playing for ~2 months and I like Rift quite a lot. I like that there are lots of group options that are very easy to join (warfronts, instances, IAs, zone events), I like soul trees, exploration (puzzles, artifacts), I like dimensions and easy free transfering between servers. And of course, I also like that so much of the game is free. My main dislikes -- Rift's questing, lore and PVP all seem quite shallow and could use much more work.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by VolitheBear View Post
    Not much really...

It WAS a great game.
    I'll raise your ante with:

It COULD STILL be a great game. The changes needed in order for Rift to live upto its potential are:

-> make all builds fun in solo(included Sent and the like). This could be achieved by simply moving skill(s) down from deep within to more manageable. People need to have fun, otherwise...look, there they are! ;(

-> rewrite the quests. Just let me link ExtraCredits, so I don't have to babble(let them! ). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG1z...B0CA00461BB187 . With that said, a little better writing would be nice(Rift already does quite a nice job @ the enviromental storytelling). This shouldn't be too expensive as well

-> keep updates etc rolling. What can I say?

As you can see, it's fairly easy and cheap. If Daglar wanted to, HE could fix it. Unfortunately, everything revolves around that name. It's not what we want or how the market's changed. It's what he wants.

I think Rift is the second best MMO in the market. The things keeping it from the best are controllable by the studio, however.
    Last edited by intrinsc; 10-15-2014 at 02:50 PM.
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by intrinsc View Post
    I think Rift is the second best MMO in the market. The things keeping it from the best are controllable by the studio, however.
    I couldn't agree more.

It is 2nd best or, at the worst, 3rd best. Still goddam High! And trust me..."I know quality" ( )

I played Rift from soon after its release. After playing WoW 5 years previous to that, Rift blew me out of the water. Back then it was an awesome game, easy to pick up for an ex WoW player with so much more to offer.

Now, I rarely log in, and when I do it is to do maybe a couple of warfronts and to say hi ro guildies and friends (if they are online). I was playing Rift more up until Archeage released.

Rift felt like it was becoming more of a grind, especially since SL and since its release there have been alot more mmos come onto the market. I tried SWTOR but just could not get into it, there are far too many cut scenes in it for me.

I currently have 4 mmo's installed, WoW, RIft, Archeage and GW2. They all have their pros and cons. My favorite from that list is GW2 despite not logging in to play it for a month because of Archeage but that may change soon since I finally finished building my town house there today.
    Rikalus. Retired lvl 60 P76 Noob Mage. Bloodiron *Blue Team*
    Per Incendia Ego Perussi

Quote Originally Posted by Rikalus View Post
    I played Rift from soon after its release. After playing WoW 5 years previous to that, Rift blew me out of the water. Back then it was an awesome game, easy to pick up for an ex WoW player with so much more to offer.

Now, I rarely log in, and when I do it is to do maybe a couple of warfronts and to say hi ro guildies and friends (if they are online). I was playing Rift more up until Archeage released.

Rift felt like it was becoming more of a grind, especially since SL and since its release there have been alot more mmos come onto the market. I tried SWTOR but just could not get into it, there are far too many cut scenes in it for me.

I currently have 4 mmo's installed, WoW, RIft, Archeage and GW2. They all have their pros and cons. My favorite from that list is GW2 despite not logging in to play it for a month because of Archeage but that may change soon since I finally finished building my town house there today.
    I am in much the same boat as you... I played DAOC, and when WoW came out was blown away. I played it for years up until Rift came out, and even then was still frequently in WoW. Occasionally I would jump around to whatever other mmos were out there for comparison but Rift grew on me and it quickly became one of the best games I'd played. It filled a lot of the gaps I felt WoW seemed either unable or unwilling to address. Not only that, but I met and made some of the most wonderful friends I've ever had. The community in Rift has always, at least I've felt, set itself apart from other game communities. Sure, there are a lot of the same gripes and inconsistencies as other games, but on the greater whole people were and continue to be just nicer.

As time has passed, the new has worn off and I've found that life just tends to move on regardless of wanting to keep a "golden age" going so to speak. I still thoroughly enjoy Rift but no longer play as often or as enthusiastically as I once did. I've tried Archeage, and usually I'm pretty easy going enough to try to enjoy a game for what it is more than what it could be. However, with Archeage I just get mad. Heh.

Regardless of that though, I still find Rift to be among the best of the offered out there, and will continue to play it well into the future.
    Harine the Heartless -

"oh how sweet! You've all showed up for my house warming.... now get off my lawn." Oh ArcheAge, how I despise thee.

In my honest, humble(and maybe pointless lol) opinion Rift is no longer a great game.

I've been playing MMOrpg's for only about 5 years now, I picked up Rift about 3+ months after launch and instantly loved it. Great content, customisable play, story, etc...

But imho it has struggled since the release of SL. PvP is also very important to me and Rift has some of the worst PvP, lets ignore balance, bugs, etc and focus on the fact that it is super generic, uninspired and really an after thought at this point.

Rift could see it's problems fixed, but I doubt it will. Play maybe 2hrs a month now.

SWTOR-for me was a little too boring and too familiar without being as refined or content filled as it's competition. The only MMO I play regularly now is The Secret World.
    Last edited by gobSIDES; 10-18-2014 at 05:12 AM.

good game after wow
    ****ty preformance (engine)
    nice raids
    A LOT OF RECYLING MODELS UGGGHHHH
    love the world events
    LAG LAG LAG AND AGAIN LAG
    sometime nice when no one is online NO LAG (LAAAGGG)

Plane Touched

I must be lucky because I just don't see all this lag that I keep reading about. The AH is slow and I get a brief pause when opening the map or store but that's the majority of it.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1780 View Post
    I must be lucky because I just don't see all this lag that I keep reading about. The AH is slow and I get a brief pause when opening the map or store but that's the majority of it.
    Might be lucky on times of day. If I log in during the early hours on a weekday, not many people = not much lag. If I log in during prime time, it's highly dependent on what I want to do, where I would like to do it, and if there a zone event going on at the time.

As for my opinion on Rift - I liked it a lot better 6 months ago than I do now. Now it serves to give me small breaks in between studying and working. In order to make me like it again, I would need to see less abrasiveness and **** mentality of top brass, more optimization, and more responsiveness in general from the company. Weeks on a support ticket is unacceptable, several hour wait times for online chat is unacceptable.

As for content, pretty enjoyable. I like the dynamic content a lot. Dungeons are kinda fun the first few times, meh afterward. I keep wondering if some kind of randomizer could be added to dungeons. Maybe have 1 of 3 possible bosses for each boss fights, or 1 of a few alternatives for maps. Something to take the feeling of 'chore' out of it when it's no longer new and you're just grinding it for currency.
    I won the game by leaving it. Have fun with your cash grabbing nightmare.
    Wonder if this could happen to Trion or if it's limited to companies with deeper pockets:
    http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudi...x#.VGS-T_nF-So

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast