+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Gamer's Broadband"

Default "Gamer's Broadband"

So, ladies and gents, I've just been offered to test this "Gamer's Broadband" thing by a friend in a service provider company. They are a major business service provider, so their network is pretty busy during the day but completely empty during the night time.

Now, I'm just wondering if I should go through with it. I'd have to drop the service provider I have at the minute and I wouldn't be able to use my connection during the day without paying for "peak hour top ups" (however much they might cost) which is useful because I'm not in like 90% of the time during the day and it's hardly like I get decent download speeds during then anyhow.

Here're the facts about it I've been sent:-
    1. 12.50 per month on a 24 month contract (works out to 300 total). They've said they're considering lowering it to a 12 month contract, though.
    2. Broadband useable between 6PM and 8AM and over all the weekend. Unaccessible between 8AM and 6PM without paying for peak time "top ups".
    3. Unlimited download limits. No fair usage policy apparently.
    4. No throttling (dear lord, thank you), so no 7PM slowdown.
    5. Prioritised traffic on their backhaul. ( I have no idea what this means, can anyone tell me? >: )
    6. Free 10GB of peak-time (that's between 8AM and 6PM) bandwidth on purchasing the service. This is not a monthly allowance.
    7. Any peak-time bandwidth purchased rolls over from month to month, apparently.
    8. 8mb/15mb download speeds depending on whether you're an area with an ADSL2+ circuit. (Again, not a clue, it's apparently not available in every area, though)
    9. Static IP address on request.
    10. Wireless router on request.

Would anyone else get this done? I'm really not sure what to think about it. What do you all think?
    Last edited by Autarch; 10-15-2010 at 12:45 PM.

They have been developing servers like these for a long time now and the oppinions are all over the board, some people think it genious and as internet develops and the lowest specced ISP lines suport these kind of services it will become the new standard.

There are a bunch of advantages my main one would be that you'd not need an install copy (of 10+ gb) on each PC , that beeing said my main disadvantage and dislike would be my dependency on internet, if I sit in the car idle for a few hours I can't play a single player shooter for a bit.

Then there is the problem that people argue that this service will never support the performance and the reponse time a local game offers. I think the techneolagy is still a few years out to play really high end games flawlessly imagine a game like a FPS where camera motion and control is everything you would have the following setup:

- Traffic goes to Game Relay (Ping response == Camera Latency), this doesnot have to be an issue with a good line.
    - Traffic goes from Game Relay to Game Server (Causes your normal latency)

Basicly this would in my oppinion mean that you would have a lil bit more "lag / delay" than normal but it also enables these companies to have "local" servers for popular game effectively eliminating almost ALL the latency at all because Traffic from the game relay to gameserver goes over the local internal network.

Bottom line I think it is certainly possible but probbaly not has a very big market just yet.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Rift Disciple forestwhitakereye's Avatar

I think Kalbuir is talking about something totally different, like OnLive where you'd pay a subscription fee to play a game running on someone else's server, so you don't ever need a high end computer to run something.

I think the OP is just talking about their internet provider offering this awesome internet connection but with a time restriction because businesses use it during the day.

I don't know a ton about the specs, so I won't be helpful there. I just ran a connection speed test and I had 15Mbps download as well here in the USA. I think we pay like $40-50 a month for internet though, so the rate you're being offered sounds really cheap (though I don't know the going rate in the UK obviously). It would be the equivalent of $18 a month here.

I'd try to get it down to a 12 month contract or maybe try to do an introductory 3 month just to see how you like it, before committing to the 24.

And if you're fine with not being able to use the internet if you're home sick (unless you pay extra), then it might be a good deal.

Edit: If they're offering 10GB during the day which rolls over month per month, that'll be more than enough to just check your email or whatever on the days you are home. Also, ask about weekends. 24 hour access on the weekends I assume, right?
    Last edited by forestwhitakereye; 10-13-2010 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by forestwhitakereye View Post
    I think Kalbuir is talking about something totally different, like OnLive where you'd pay a subscription fee to play a game running on someone else's server, so you don't ever need a high end computer to run something.

I think the OP is just talking about their internet provider offering this awesome internet connection but with a time restriction because businesses use it during the day.

I don't know a ton about the specs, so I won't be helpful there. I just ran a connection speed test and I had 15Mbps download as well here in the USA. I think we pay like $40-50 a month for internet though, so the rate you're being offered sounds really cheap (though I don't know the going rate in the UK obviously). It would be the equivalent of $18 a month here.

I'd try to get it down to a 12 month contract or maybe try to do an introductory 3 month just to see how you like it, before committing to the 24.

And if you're fine with not being able to use the internet if you're home sick (unless you pay extra), then it might be a good deal.

Edit: If they're offering 10GB during the day which rolls over month per month, that'll be more than enough to just check your email or whatever on the days you are home. Also, ask about weekends. 24 hour access on the weekends I assume, right?
    You are right I was totally misled by the title and missread the OP's explanation entirely.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

What connection do you have now? And doesn't it work well for you? How much do you pay?

Isn't there any regular broadband service with x mbit that lets you use it whenever? Why are you considering this? Dunno what the other ISPs can deliver where you live, but to me it sounds like a bad deal. I luckily live in sweden where's there no issues with high peak hours, so dunno how much that would affect you.
    What about if you were home sick a few days, would suck without the internet.

I suspect he is. =p

Yep, pretty much.

The connection speed test gives the same results any time of the day. The trouble is that, of a night, pretty much every service provider throttles your internet connection and it means the internet goes veeeeery sloooooowly. Seriously. Like 1mb/s download speeds during the early morning compared to 50kb/s download speeds of an evening.

Exactly what I was thinking. Have my Google page cached and just go from there into a non-picture gmail / facebook to check them.

And, yep, weekends are completely off-peak because they don't have that many businesses working during those hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Martie View Post
    What connection do you have now? And doesn't it work well for you? How much do you pay?
    With BT (British Telecom). It's fine from like midnight to ten in the morning, but it's slow as hell otherwise.

It's like 20 a month with a usage limit and throttling.

Quote Originally Posted by Martie View Post
    Isn't there any regular broadband service with x mbit that lets you use it whenever? Why are you considering this? Dunno what the other ISPs can deliver where you live, but to me it sounds like a bad deal. I luckily live in sweden where's there no issues with high peak hours, so dunno how much that would affect you.
    What about if you were home sick a few days, would suck without the internet.
    Oh, sure, but they suck during the night. They throttle you (that's why they always put "up to x mb connection speed" on their websites, they almost never actually give you that connection speed) which means really, really slow speeds during the usual "raid times".

Why? Mainly to be able to play MMOs without getting my connection slowed down of a night. =p I suppose it'd work for everything else, too.

EDIT: Article on Bandwidth Throttling.

Telaran

Keep in mind that I'm coming from Canada, which is behind the times, but that package doesn't sound nearly attractive enough to warrant the time restrictions.

I don't read it as a "gamers package," I see it more as a "get more customers to backfill our infrastructure without having to upgrade infrastructure."

The internet, she's a fincicky multipus of routes. I'd at least ask for some real numbers on how far this ISP's reach extends to the point of being able to prioritise your traffic. In my experience, there's a heck of a lot of hops beyond your ISP's control between you and your game server.

Sorry to sound like a negative Nelly I have a love-hate relationship with ISPs

Quote Originally Posted by Adomnae View Post
    The internet, she's a fincicky multipus of routes. I'd at least ask for some real numbers on how far this ISP's reach extends to the point of being able to prioritise your traffic. In my experience, there's a heck of a lot of hops beyond your ISP's control between you and your game server.

Sorry to sound like a negative Nelly I have a love-hate relationship with ISPs
    I'll certainly have to check.

And don't we all?

I didn't read the op after the word "test" was followed by "pay". You shouldn't be paying to test anything. I wouldn't take that deal, particularly with built in throttling / day charges.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

One thing to consider is that some businesses like banks do big dumps during off business times, that may or may not slow you down. At least I was told this stuff happens.

Prophet of Telara

Here you go Autarch: better than BT and supposed to be broadband for gamers without the no daytime.

I've been contemplating the service for some time now. I'm currently with BT and they do throttle and I do get fed up with the lack of knowledge in their customer service department. I was having an issue with slower than expected speeds but my download rate seems to have sped up recently and I don't use torrents all that much to worry about the throttling.

BE are cheaper though. I just hate the idea of another 12 month contract when I really want to find a new flat. I believe they offer shorter contracts.

Check it out.
    We Were The Defiant

Then Rift went Trivial and Dull

Quote Originally Posted by anagain View Post
    Here you go Autarch: better than BT and supposed to be broadband for gamers without the no daytime.

I've been contemplating the service for some time now. I'm currently with BT and they do throttle and I do get fed up with the lack of knowledge in their customer service department. I was having an issue with slower than expected speeds but my download rate seems to have sped up recently and I don't use torrents all that much to worry about the throttling.

BE are cheaper though. I just hate the idea of another 12 month contract when I really want to find a new flat. I believe they offer shorter contracts.

Check it out.
    Are you sure those guys don't do any throttling? They don't seem to mention any lack of throttling on their website. Which is the main thing in this. Then again, if their service is pretty underused...

Quote Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
    I didn't read the op after the word "test" was followed by "pay". You shouldn't be paying to test anything. I wouldn't take that deal, particularly with built in throttling / day charges.
    Eh, it's more getting a cheap internet service and giving feedback, I'm thinking of it as. =p

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    One thing to consider is that some businesses like banks do big dumps during off business times, that may or may not slow you down. At least I was told this stuff happens.
    Isn't that what the "prioritised backhaul" thing prevents? I'm not really sure about this stuff. =/

Updated the main post, guys.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelie View Post
    He's just a spambot.

Please ban him.
    Well he don't actually mention the name of the service or post any links so he's not a very good salesman...if he is.

He did make a good attempt to quash my suggestions of BE.

And it's a crap service if you don't get internet all day...I'd never be interested.

Oh, and...

Throttling
    We Were The Defiant

Then Rift went Trivial and Dull

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast