+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GW2...Designing dynamic Events

Default GW2...Designing dynamic Events

OMg that a looong interview xD
    im going to register for the uni, when i get back i will watch the video and post a properly response :P
    i speack not english good you tell me when wrong i am ! [JK!]
    Waiting for the king of the mmorpg's ...
    -Dnz

Shield of Telara

Wow, there's some really good stuff here.

(22:50) Very interesting on how current MMO's have conditioned player behaviour. The devs watched as a player ran past a bunch of npc's that were yelling for help. But the player just ran past all the npc's. When asked why she ignored them, she said she didn't have a quest to help them. None of the npcs had a symbol over their head, so she ignored them.

(29:30) Something for both the adventurer who just goes out and explores (me) and the person who wants directed content. Hidden events for explorers so you actually get rewarded for leaving the beaten track. I very much like that.

(44:10) Giving an example of their take on dynamic content: You fail to defend your town from centaurs and its overtaken. You then form an assault and drive them out and reclaim your town. But it doesn't end there. You drive them back to their village, and then stronghold and overtake their stronghold - you're now at the opposite end of the event chain. So now their stronghold is yours and you have to defend that to keep control of it.

Phew, still not done watching but this has left me pretty excited.

DANG! Is it THAT long?!

Apparently the GW2 designers have a solution to every current MMO 'problem'. The solutions aren't solutions, just other ways to go about them.

Not including quest text because some people don't read quests.

*roll eyes*

"This is the first MMO that is actually cooperative, grouping with other players."

The questions open and the first question is rifghtully so: "if you do random dynamic events, and so easy to join, what's the incentive to talk to each other".
    Response: "we don't expect players to talk to each other, they can just join, we won't force them to communicate with each other"

So your game is cooperative but you don't want people talking to each other.

*roll-eyes* at this whole interview
    Last edited by Aurelie; 10-14-2010 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelie View Post
    Apparently the GW2 designers have a solution to every current MMO 'problem'. The solutions aren't solutions, just other ways to go about them.

*roll eyes*

"This is the first MMO that is actually cooperative, grouping with other players."

The questions open and the first question is rifghtully so: "if you do random dynamic events, and so easy to join, what's the incentive to talk to each other".
    Response: "we don't expect players to talk to each other, they can just join, we won't force them to communicate with each other"

You missed the point in Olympic fashion.

*gold medal*
    "Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

forums - Fozzik's Hardware
    blog - The Last Bastion

Rift Disciple forestwhitakereye's Avatar

The developers thought quests were an outdated system. Static questgiver tells you to do something. The quest text says something, like that centaurs are attacking the village, but they're not. There is quest text, but it hits you all at once, and the majority of the time it's probably not needed. If you had one quest, you'd soak it in. But when you have 20, and they're really not that important, you skim over them or don't read them at all, especially in a game like LOTRO where the arrow is going to point you to the exact location.

There aren't technically any 'quests' in GW2. There are events. If centaurs are attacking a village, they're attacking a village. You can help out just by seeing it as its happening, or because there's an NPC down the road yelling that centaurs are attacking. They didn't include quest text because it's non-immersive and unnecessary to what they're doing.

If anything, it's the opposite. They DID include quest text for people who wanted to get a little bit more of the story or because they needed the quest text to point them in the right direction. Like you talk to a woman and she says she's not feeling well and thinks the well is poisoned. You never need to talk to that woman, but you can if you want. The mark over her head is because other games have conditioned people to look for marks over npc heads.

That's not the conclusion they want you to draw from that portion of the presentation. They were talking about how people sometimes want to solo, but want to feel like they're part of a community, otherwise they'd be playing a single player game not an MMO. They don't encourage 'grouping', they want people to be able to drop in and out of events whenever they wish. They encourage 'cooperation' because players are never a bad thing and people get rewarded for rezzing others and such.

The thing about WoW is that there is no incentive to communicate. If you do a dungeon and you blast it out in 15 minutes, why bother talking? Especially now that the LFG tool is cross server. No incentive to communicate with someone you'll never see again, at all. But the thing about GW2 is there are event chains. You can jump in any time and help, and when it's done, there might be another event in the chain, so everybody continues on. Then when it's over, maybe one group heads down the road to something else and people tag along because it's going well. That is the situation they think/hope encourages communication and community organically by people saying, "hey, how's it going, can I join you?" There's really no incentive to say "no thanks, I'd rather solo," because other people aren't going to take experience or loot away from you.

Shield of Telara

*roll eyes*

You've missed the point of what they were saying in that video. I'm also tempted to say that you went into it with a certain viewpoint that wasn't going to be altered regardless of what you watched. That's your loss, because arenanet is simply trying to add variety to a genre that's getting stale. There will always be the need for traditional mmo's and they'll surely always be represented, but if this genre doesn't incorporate fresh ideas and challenge 'the way its always been' then it will slowly decay.

Even if you dont like the game, or arenanet, or you dont trust ncsoft or whatever, what they are doing is putting their necks on the line. We have to have some risk takers in this industry if it's to evolve or move forward. And it must move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorathir View Post
    Even if you dont like the game, or arenanet, or you dont trust ncsoft or whatever, what they are doing is putting their necks on the line. We have to have some risk takers in this industry if it's to evolve or move forward. And it must move forward.
    Exactly. The reason I'm excited about Rift is that they're trying something a bit different with the souls system and rifts. And the reason I'm excited about GW2 is also that they're trying something different with dynamic events and full rewards for everyone who contributes. I don't expect either developer to get things 100% right on the first attempt, but I do respect both of them for at least trying to evolve the genre rather than just making another WoW-clone (which was just an EQ-clone ).

Okay ... this interview segment was freakin' COOL. I' m even more excited about GW2 now. I love that whole "cooperation" thing. I don't have to talk to folks, I don't have to do LFG. I can just start an event ... and if others want to join in, cooperatively, they can ... and the event will scale with the number of contributing people. If no one jumps in, the event stays "manageable" to a solo player. I really like that. I like how they touched upon the fact that it's not that solo players don't want to group (otherwise they would just play a single player game), but that they want to take part in a world where there are other people around contributing. I like that a lot. That's me in a nutshell.

I hope they give us a release date soon!

+ Reply to Thread