+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bioware-Mythic artist rants about EA, SWTOR and WAR

Exclamation Bioware-Mythic artist rants about EA, SWTOR and WAR

I'm not sure how much legitimacy one can place on this person's bitter posting. The motive is questionable. Nevertheless, the info this person provides is intriguing.

Round of lay offs next week including the anonymous poster. EA to outsource their art.
    $300 million spent on SWTOR.
    SWTOR 20gig installation attributed to 100% VO.
    He names people who he thought were incompetent. One was a customer service rep promoted to producer. Also names some of his colleagues who were fired.
    The culture of fear and not speaking out within the company.
    He think SWTOR will fail like Sims Online and explains why WAR failed.

http://ealouse.wordpress.com/2010/10/12/hello-world/

he makes some really valid points, even if we only are hearing one side of the story, much of what he says lines up with other things i have read.

To be entirely and wholly honest about this..

I'm not in the least bit surprised. All it takes to fsck over a company is bad management. Particularly bad middle management. The last company I worked for had exactly those same kind of bosses, and I was not in a position in which that did anything more than ruin the customer service team. But it's not uncommon behavior in any company, let alone this industry. Which I was in, funnily enough.

I was not allowed to talk to my bosses boss, neither was any of my team. Even though they worked in the office, they were not allowed to email her even, unless it was critically important. You would get yelled at for doing so if she didn't think it was 'important enough'.

I was told 'not' to talk to my bosses bosses, boss. But I did anyway. He was -very- mad about the situation that resulted in my being laid off. My boss blatantly lied about 2-3 people failing to cover his own ***. Yet he kept the least productive member of the team on because of her other 'redeeming' qualities. I'm sure you guys can tell what I'm talking about there.

My own boss never spoke to me, he spoke through other people. He was supposed to do a monthly review, each month. He had been my boss for 6 months and did -1-.

I provided good customer service and got canned for it.

So, while we have no clue who this guy is or if it's true, I'm inclined to believe it based on personal experience within the industry. It's not hard to ruin a company by behaving the way those guys do.

You should hear all the OMFGILOVEBIOWARE fanbois over on the official site. Its rather sickening how they avidly defend the title without utilizing the least bit of logic.

Im inclined to believe this person based on how he spoke, his reasoning and the way he offered to answer more questions to anyone who had them. His information seemed to be from behind the scenes, with too many subtleties to be made up.

I believe SWTOR will do average, but IT CANNOT LIVE UP TO ITS HYPE. NO GAME COULD. And for that reason and that reason alone, makes the author all the more credible, job or no job....

Hey we still have RIFT.....

I can only hope that:

1)This isn't real.
    2)Trion is not actually, or will never come close to how bad this story is behind-the-scenes.

Just pray Trion don't get taken over by massive corporates

The sooner developers stop chasing the WoW $ the quicker we'll get decent playable and challenging gameplay back in our MMOs.

Not surprised at all. EA ruins whatever franchise they touch. Im sure Bioware will be going down that hole soon.
    Heretics and Blasphemers shall be purged by the righteous with fire

HmMmMmMmMmMmM I love drama in the morning

Poor management, run-ins, incompetence, bad decisions all of that is fine but you DO NOT pubicly post that stuff on the internet if you ask me... Poor carreer choose also if you ask me.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

EDIT: For the record I got no love for EA :P

I've always thought EA was a terrible company; this isn't definitive evidence, but with all the other stuff that has gone on, I am guessing it is the case. I remember the moment they started publishing for Bioware the quality started to tank; I couldn't even play ME1 for 6 months it was released in such an unfinished state.

One of my friends used to tutor the Son of the owner of EA. He'd complain that both father and son were not very nice people. I also have some programmer friends that work there... they seem to like their job on the other hand.

Anyone remember the similar "tell-all" letter that was released from, supposedly, one of the Vanguard programmers. The one where he accused Brad McQuaid of being addicted to opiates?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalbuir View Post
    HmMmMmMmMmMmM I love drama in the morning

Poor management, run-ins, incompetence, bad decisions all of that is fine but you DO NOT pubicly post that stuff on the internet if you ask me... Poor carreer choose also if you ask me.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

EDIT: For the record I got no love for EA :P
    You have to post certain things. This story isn't a good example, but I remember that Funcom story, he mentioned they were being overworked without pay and were forced to work during nights. Funcom had to admit tot that and change their policies and sent out a formal apology.

Not surprised, and personally I have no problems with how 'unprofessional' the poster is. Imo he admits he's pissed, admits he's ranting, and doesn't have any problem with us taking that into the equation, which to me lends credibility. Didn't sound like he was trying to be conniving or manipulative, just pissed off and wanting to inform the world and customers about what he--and I think if true we can all agree--seems like some pretty messed up stuff.

It's not whistle-blowing on illegal government activity, or anything, but it's still interesting and still relevant. Whether we like it or not, we aren't just gamers, we're also customers... and imo the rep and practices of a company are relevant to my decisions as a customer. You know, it might not be professional, but this is the kind of stuff I like to know before I consider purchasing a product. Though honestly, it wasn't really all that shocking . EA has sucked for years, one could tell there were major management issues in WAR by a few days in beta, and Bioware products have turned ****tier since EA got involved.

It's kind of like when all the 'allegations' about mismanagement of Vanguard came out... if you were surprised, you simply weren't paying attention.
    -According to a Facebook quiz, I'm a genius.

Sanya Weathers, who's mentioned in another statement on that blog, says categorically that's not what happened.

This is the EA Louse's statement:
    Wow, Sanya. That was a long time ago.

Yeah, that was actually not Rob Denton. That was her having a fierce, loud fight with Mark Jacobs about forum postings. Sanya had a very hard line stance on developers posting on the boards.

They shouldn’t. That’s community’s job. <- Is what I'm sure she would say.

But Mark Jacobs, who loved posting, especially about things he couldn't guarantee and made our lives hell because he would essentially promise them, did not like having to play by her rules. She totally called him out on it in an embarrasing way and too many people at the company knew about it, so she was out the door.

They replaced her with a really nice guy but he was a puppet who couldn't make Mark abide by the rules. Arguably though, he did a great job, but Eugene wanted community to be under marketings control, so when the big anti-Mark coup occurred they also fired all the community representatives left, and put one of the marketing lackeys in charge of all three Mythic products.

Lets see. Other crazy things… Mark wanted to do what Blizzard announced with Real ID like, years ago, and Sanya fought him on it. Mark also hates when devs post with fake names, and forced everyone who posted on boards to use real names (which created drama and stalking opportunities, which discouraged devs from posting).

So, all in all, Sanya stood up to him in a public space, and the next thing we knew there was a "mutual parting of ways." Also, her husband worked with us too, veteran, and he left later.
    Sanya's comment:
    As practically everyone knows, I have a binding contract that says I cannot talk about What Really Happened to me. [My lawyer reminds me: It says right here that what really happened was that we mutually agreed to separate, and every time that I've been asked since then, I have said we mutually agreed to separate.] I also cannot say anything about EA, anyone still working at EA, or any product now or ever developed by EA that might be “disparaging.” The only thing I can say, as a matter of fact, is that the contract exists.

However, I am allowed to say what didn’t happen.

That’s… not what happened. At all. Oh, it’s true in that I don’t think devs should post unless they’re willing to commit to a regular posting schedule, and follow the same rules as the community team (including courtesy, genuine respect for players, making no promises, speaking only to areas of personal knowledge, etc). But that wasn’t even part of the scene that led to the end of things.

Also, to be fair, Mark actually wasn’t the one with the hard line real name policy. That was me. Mythic didn’t have that rule until I showed up. This isn’t the post for me to go into my philosophy on the topic, and I’ve droned on and on about that in the past.

I’m not bashing Louse. I feel bad for him/her, given that there are not that many people still at Mythic that meet all the criteria AND can type that cleanly. The internet is busy cheering at him for “standing up,” but the internet isn’t going to protect him from being crushed like a bug by [a] legal team. And that, my friends, is why you’re not going to hear about what happened to me from me. Not until my lawyer gives me the all clear
    So some of it is probably real, some of it is grain of salt.

Most MMO forums wars are over the Game vs World divide. Which side are you on?

scary stuff, coz Rift is suffering from at least one of the faults he described too, bad marketing and advertising
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1282&dateline=1279040  725

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast