+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: If you won the lottery...would you want to produce an mmorpg? I would!

Default If you won the lottery...would you want to produce an mmorpg? I would!

My fantasy, winning the big bucks...

One of the 'to-do's' on my wish list would be to produce an mmorpg.

I can't imagine the 'rush' you would would get ... seeing your ideas come to life.

I'd try to find the most creative animators, the best story-tellers and genius coders....oh...and don't forget talented art directors!

hey...that kinda sounds like Rift!

As part of the planning for my mmo, I would go for dynamic cities.

This is how it would work..
    Each player would have a small piece of real estate in general areas of the game. When enough folks congregated together, then city 'services' and buildings would begin to appear.
    Players would have the option to add resources to a building to make it bigger, better, flashier.

If the players moved on...the city would slowly disintegrate...until nature once again took over. If a player left his/her house untended for a period of time...the same would happen. (their stuff would be kept in big box in a 'storage area'.

The idea sounds good in theory, but trust me, once you get that close to the ins and outs of what it takes to produce and a great MMO you will lose the enjoyment of playing it.
    either you creation falls flat and it turns out or suck or its popular and great, but u have spent so much time and effort on all the details of the game that simply logging in and playing is tedious.

I would much rather fork over the cash and just add in my 2 cents when the game was released.
    "that frog over there looks like a lizard..change it!"
    " i want there to be a new zone called Terd island....make it happen!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rawr View Post
    The idea sounds good in theory, but trust me, once you get that close to the ins and outs of what it takes to produce and a great MMO you will lose the enjoyment of playing it.
    either you creation falls flat and it turns out or suck or its popular and great, but u have spent so much time and effort on all the details of the game that simply logging in and playing is tedious.

I would much rather fork over the cash and just add in my 2 cents when the game was released.
    "that frog over there looks like a lizard..change it!"
    " i want there to be a new zone called Terd island....make it happen!"
    heheh....I'm a natural 'detail-oriented' person. I'd love the challenge (most days).

Shield of Telara

Oh hell no. It wouldn't be as simple as "ok put this there, and i want that to work like this". My ideas would not come to life and nobody would like my game, and I'm being incredibly generous here by even thinking it would get to market.

I might have a few good ideas (hey, they're good ideas in my own head) and certain directions an mmo I produced should go in, but there's no way in hell I could do what Pardo, Gallenite, Jacobs, even McQuaid did.

Nah, I'll stick to what I'm good at. Complaining about Rift's races and moaning about quest hubs. That's as good as i can manage. Armchair design is my forte. Having the intelligence, creativity and man management skills to actually bring an MMO to life is not something I could ever possibly do.

A producer is the cash guy...you hire the best...give them a goal (scope) a generalized outline, and a time frame and lots of $.

project management at its best! (most challenging too).

A dream is cool but knowing the value of money and the fickleness of gamers, I don't think I could waste it on game development.

Quote Originally Posted by Quesa View Post
    A dream is cool but knowing the value of money and the fickleness of gamers, I don't think I could waste it on game development.
    Sometime just seeing your vision come to life...that could be a payoff. I do believe that if you build it...the players will come.

The easy part is getting the initial players...the more difficult part is keeping them. People get bored. I get bored. What keeps us going in RL is dynamic events...keeps us from getting in the rut.

Rift has the right idea...and I hope they have the component tech to add other more 'fluff' dynamics.

Very few lottery jackpots hit the $50-$100 million needed to produce a quality MMO, and even if you did win that much I doubt anyone would spend it all on a game.

On the other hand, if I was a billionaire, then yes I would make a MMO just the way I want it.

i would be a philanthropist. i would much rather put 50 mil into benefiting others.

Honestly, you couldn't pay me enough. I'd never want to design an MMORPG because gamers are so fickle and hard to please. I feel like no matter what my original 'vision' was, it would end up getting changed to please people who, in the end, wouldn't be all that happy anyway =/

No way, I would buy an island and cupcakes.

If I did, I'd rather invest some in a game like Rift, in hopes that it would go toward the game and ensuring that we have happy Developers who get appropriate amounts of sleep and don't have to work a lot of overtime, because there would be enough good quality ones that they didn't need to rely on 70 hour work weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by 13moons View Post
    i would be a philanthropist. i would much rather put 50 mil into benefiting others.

This is goodness. I think of an mmorpg as a way of helping others.

If you are 80 years old...and can hardly walk....play an mmo and RUN, JUMP, RIDE, rid the world of horrible monsters. An mmo...can and should give a life experience that can't be given in the real world. To satisfy your criteria, I would set aside profits for those in need.

It's better to teach how to fish...than to give a fish. So build a wonderful mmo...that could/would create income. Make it the beginning of something wonderful for the real world.

Bulding n tier websites is a big enough pain - I dont think I would start my own company- I might invest in one with a good business plan and devs tho....

More likely than not tho I would probably just buy a bunch of guitars

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast