+ Reply to Thread

Thread: More Science of Gaming Stuff

Default More Science of Gaming Stuff

Are you a science nerd who plays games? Sure, we all are. Here is a website run by academics who are researching this very new field, the sociology and psychology of video games.

http://terranova.blogs.com/terra_nova/

This blog has been around for quite awhile and I just stumbled upon (literally) it again tonight. TED talks, scholarly papers founded upon solid scientific method, etc; have fun!

Oh, here's a good one to get you started. "Alone Together in World of Warcraft". Sample data taken from WoW because, well, it's the largest sample size to pull from. Discusses the phenomena of solo vs group play, comments both agree and dissent from these data. Enjoy, my fellow small handful of science-y, gaming nerds!

http://terranova.blogs.com/terra_nov...together_.html

*crickets chirp, tumbleweeds roll by*...
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

I wouldn't say this is a new field. I wrote a 40 page dissertation on virtual sociology back in 1996 and used online gaming as my medium of study. Even then, there were dozens upon dozens of peer reviewed periodicals that discussed distant end social interaction. I think you'll find that online interaction between people removes inhibitions and allows conversation to flow through less of a natural filter. This makes social interaction more responsive to peer pressure and herd mentality due to the fact that peoples' reactions without a social filter tend to be more visceral (both in expression and in response to stimuli).

Back when I wrote my piece, I found that regardless to what people wanted, they rated the quality of the time spent gaming higher when they were involved with less overall people. Human sociology tends to nudge people to play together in larger numbers (aka, big servers). People do this because its natural for us... but natural interaction comes with social filters. These are devoid in MMO settings... so as people naturally pile into the popular servers, the quality of the interaction plummets and people tend to have less fun due to unwanted or low quality social interaction.
    Last edited by Laeris; 06-14-2014 at 10:19 PM.

I'm going to jump the hoop and try to entertain this thread because for the amount of presence I contribute in Rift I'm hardly sociable online.

For me being with strangers online is more like catching a wave and riding it out until that initial energy is gone, like a passing conversation out of kindness in life's inevitable interactions. I have been in social circles online in games that I frequented, and when we were social with each other we were often doing separate things in-game.

MMO's I feel more than most other games have high degrees of competition when you need to group with other players and are not the relaxed setting required for healthy social or psychological interaction: I'm not one bit bothered by drive-by insults when I'm hacking away at other players in warfronts for example, because I am wearing a competitive edge myself. The result for me being in acceptance of the lack of communication.

I enjoy grouping with other players to work on common goals due to the complexity of teamwork in online gaming but the events that often bring players together in MMO's also keep us apart because our thoughts are not on how the other person feels or how you feel toward them, so what usually comes out is something demeaning. This to me is just setting boundaries for other players in a socially defenseless environment, which some people are just exceptional at.

As for me...I call it tough love. I do not believe people are innately cruel anymore than what they are brought up in, I think everyone wants to find happiness where they can and be able to feel good. There is a lot of room for error online because there is so much unknown sitting between ourselves and everyone else.

Bumping my own thread so there is something more interesting to read than endless self-important PvP posts. <3

ps: Laeris, in academia, 1996 counts as part of the "new" in "new field of study". and I would agree with your assertions.
    Last edited by ilex011; 06-15-2014 at 07:56 AM.
    Faeblight

Quote Originally Posted by ilex011 View Post
    Bumping my own thread so there is something more interesting to read than endless self-important PvP posts. <3
    I don't see how this is constructive. If you want to be the only person heard in a public thread which you happened to open maybe buying a diary would make other users look less self important?

Quote Originally Posted by Narcoth View Post
    I don't see how this is constructive. If you want to be the only person heard in a public thread which you happened to open maybe buying a diary would make other users look less self important?

What we have here, see, is a failure to communicate.
    Faeblight

Quote Originally Posted by ilex011 View Post
    What we have here, see, is a failure to communicate.
    Imho it is clear as day that you referenced my post through masked language in the form of an attack.

I could have brought up my extensive background in dungeoneering and raiding in World of Warcraft to provide examples of interactions with other players, but being that those experiences are years old dating back as far as December 2004, it is not fresh in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Narcoth View Post
    Imho it is clear as day that you referenced my post through masked language in the form of an attack.
    I actually was confused about your irritation until you made this post. Be assured it was not an attack on you. My apologies if you took it personally. It was not intended. It really was a swipe at the pvp subforum, not you. I had to go back and re-read your initial comment to get why you might have thought that it was.

I could have brought up my extensive background in dungeoneering and raiding in World of Warcraft to provide examples of interactions with other players, but being that those experiences are years old dating back as far as December 2004, it is not fresh in my mind.
    Actually, I'm usually very interested in hearing/reading about the experiences of people regarding group play vs solo play. So if you recall anything, pipe up!
    Last edited by ilex011; 06-15-2014 at 10:26 AM. Reason: I said "actually" 2x. tonite I'm gonna rock you tonite.
    Faeblight

+ Reply to Thread