+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KatFiveKnives

Thread: Why do/don't you subscribe to Rift? (some university research questions)

Default Why do/don't you subscribe to Rift? (some university research questions)

As the title suggests, I'm doing a research essay on why people who play MMOs do or do not pay a subscription. The essay is for the Media Cultures course in the Bachelor of Design (Games) at RMIT. Any participants in this research will be anonymous in the essay.

Please note that not every question will apply to everyone, so N/A responses are fine. Also, please note that elaborating somewhat will help my research much more than just yes/no answers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question 1: Do you subscribe to Rift?

Question 1a: If you answered yes to the above, what was your main reason for subscribing rather than playing for free? If no, what was your main reason for playing for free?

Question 1b: If you are not a subscriber, is one of the main reasons for playing for free a financial one? (feel free to skip this question and simply write "skip" if you think it is too personal)

Question 2: Do you play any other MMOs?

Question 2a: If you do play other MMOs, do you subscribe to them, and why?

Question 2b: If you do play multiple MMOs, which ones do you subscribe to? How did you decide which MMOs to subscribe to and which to play for free?

Question 3: For any of the MMOs you have played, have you ever changed your subscriber status? (from free to subscribed or vice versa)

Questiona 3a: If so, what were the main reasons for the change?

Question 4: Have you ever made a micro-transaction (in-game purchase) in any of the MMOs you have played?

Question 4a: Have you ever made a micro-transaction in any other game or app?

Question 5: Have you ever subscribed to any non-game service? (such as Netflix)

Question 6: Do you mainly play MMOs to play with friends or workmates?

Question 6a: If so, do you subscribe to those games?

Question 6b: Have you ever continued to subscribe to an MMO after your friends/workmates have stopped playing the game?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are all the questions I have at the moment, though I might come back and add some more if an interesting point comes up in the responses.

Big thanks to anyone who takes the time to help me with this research!

Question 1: Do you subscribe to Rift? YES

Question 1a: If you answered yes to the above, what was your main reason for subscribing rather than playing for free? The EXP/valor/prestige/coin boosts.

Question 2: Do you play any other MMOs? YES, I also play SWTOR, TERA, WOW, LOTRO AND GW2.

Question 2a: If you do play other MMOs, do you subscribe to them, and why? In addition to Rift I also sub to TERA, SWTOR, LOTRO and WOW. Why? Because I have friends in each, and when Rift gets extremely frustrating, I have alternate games to play.

Question 2b: If you do play multiple MMOs, which ones do you subscribe to? How did you decide which MMOs to subscribe to and which to play for free? See question 2a above. If I spend any significant time in a game during the month, I usually sub. The $75 a month I spend on subs may seem excessive to some, but when you're retired, that $75 covers most of my entertainment costs for the month, and gives me stuff to do/play 12+ hours a day. $75 is also fairly insignificant when you look at my other monthly expenditures like pizza/wings delivery, which averages over $200 a month.

Question 3: For any of the MMOs you have played, have you ever changed your subscriber status? YES, when I feel the game is no longer worth the frustration. (I have 5 days left on my Rift sub)

Questiona 3a: If so, what were the main reasons for the change? The frustrations from the game outweight the entertainment value of the game.

Question 4: Have you ever made a micro-transaction (in-game purchase) in any of the MMOs you have played? YES, ranging from $10 - $250+ in a month.

Question 4a: Have you ever made a micro-transaction in any other game or app? Other games.

Question 5: Have you ever subscribed to any non-game service? (such as Netflix) YES

Question 6: Do you mainly play MMOs to play with friends or workmates? Mainly to play with friends? NO. I play them for fun.

Question 6a: If so, do you subscribe to those games? N/A

Question 6b: Have you ever continued to subscribe to an MMO after your friends/workmates have stopped playing the game? YES Most of them finally left about a month ago. I'm just trying to get my last class to 60 before I drop Rift from my list of games actively played.
    Level 60/Rank 90 Guardian Mage * Level 60/Rank 62 Defiant Rogue * Level 60/Rank 86 Guardian Cleric
    Level 60/Rank 82 Defiant Warrior
    * Level 60/Rank 86 Guardian Rogue
    * Level 60/Rank 53 Defiant Mage
    Level 60/Rank 24 Guardian Warrior
    * Level 60/Rank 15 Defiant Cleric
    * Wolfsbane/Zaviel

Quote Originally Posted by Kajematch View Post

Question 1: Do you subscribe to Rift? yes

Question 1a: If you answered yes to the above, what was your main reason for subscribing rather than playing for free? If no, what was your main reason for playing for free?
    Because I CAN. And also I enjoy the perks that come with a sub

Question 1b: If you are not a subscriber, is one of the main reasons for playing for free a financial one? (feel free to skip this question and simply write "skip" if you think it is too personal)
    NA
    Question 2: Do you play any other MMOs?LOTRO, former ESO player (got banned for no reason) Founder for Archeage so I will be playing that

Question 2a: If you do play other MMOs, do you subscribe to them, and why?Yes and because I CAN and I enjoy the perks

Question 2b: If you do play multiple MMOs, which ones do you subscribe to? How did you decide which MMOs to subscribe to and which to play for free?All are subbed

Question 3: For any of the MMOs you have played, have you ever changed your subscriber status? (from free to subscribed or vice versa)No

Question 4: Have you ever made a micro-transaction (in-game purchase) in any of the MMOs you have played?Yes

Question 4a: Have you ever made a micro-transaction in any other game or app?I don't understand how this question differs from #4. My reply to #4 encompasses all games I play. If you mean NON-MMO games, then no because I don't play them.

Question 5: Have you ever subscribed to any non-game service? (such as Netflix)No

Question 6: Do you mainly play MMOs to play with friends or workmates?Yes

Question 6a: If so, do you subscribe to those games?I play MMO's and all that I play I sub to

Question 6b: Have you ever continued to subscribe to an MMO after your friends/workmates have stopped playing the game?That has not happened to me, so idk

These are all the questions I have at the moment, though I might come back and add some more if an interesting point comes up in the responses.

Big thanks to anyone who takes the time to help me with this research!
    You're welcome. I enjoy playing MMO's. This is what I do instead of watching television.
    Last edited by KatFiveKnives; 05-29-2014 at 07:53 AM.

Rift Disciple

Question 1: Do you subscribe to Rift?Yes

Question 1a: If you answered yes to the above, what was your main reason for subscribing rather than playing for free? If no, what was your main reason for playing for free?W/o my patrons items, it doesn't seem too great in game.

Question 1b: If you are not a subscriber, is one of the main reasons for playing for free a financial one? (feel free to skip this question and simply write "skip" if you think it is too personal)N/A

Question 2: Do you play any other MMOs?Yes, I play several other MMOs

Question 2a: If you do play other MMOs, do you subscribe to them, and why?Yes, I subscribe to others, for the inconvenience they may cause when the servers are down.

Question 2b: If you do play multiple MMOs, which ones do you subscribe to? How did you decide which MMOs to subscribe to and which to play for free?Too many games to list, but Rift is actually the only game I've had played and payed for over a years worth at a time .. the rest of the others are usually pay to play as well for when i go back to them or free to play.

Question 3: For any of the MMOs you have played, have you ever changed your subscriber status? (from free to subscribed or vice versa)Yes I have

Question 3a: If so, what were the main reasons for the change?Basic reasons..if in game was boring your only paying or free playing for what your getting...

Question 4: Have you ever made a micro-transaction (in-game purchase) in any of the MMOs you have played?Yes, even in my free-to-play games, I have had made micro-transactions.

Question 4a: Have you ever made a micro-transaction in any other game or app?Yes

Question 5: Have you ever subscribed to any non-game service? (such as Netflix)Yes

Question 6: Do you mainly play MMOs to play with friends or workmates?family/friends/veteran players

Question 6a: If so, do you subscribe to those games?Some times

Question 6b: Have you ever continued to subscribe to an MMO after your friends/workmates have stopped playing the game?Yes, and Rift being one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kajematch View Post
    As the title suggests, I'm doing a research essay on why people who play MMOs do or do not pay a subscription. The essay is for the Media Cultures course in the Bachelor of Design (Games) at RMIT. Any participants in this research will be anonymous in the essay.

Please note that not every question will apply to everyone, so N/A responses are fine. Also, please note that elaborating somewhat will help my research much more than just yes/no answers.

Question 1: Do you subscribe to Rift?
    No. I used to.

I ended my sub when it went F2P. Trion changed my sub to a patron system that, in my opinion, has absolutely zero value.

No.

Question 2: Do you play any other MMOs?
    Yes

Question 2a: If you do play other MMOs, do you subscribe to them, and why?
    I only play MMOs I can sub to. I do not play F2P MMOs because F2P games, in my opinion, turn into glorified iBabysitters for a lot of very young players and trolls. I'm a "seasoned" gamer. I've got little to nothing in common with people born in this millenium. I also prefer to be billed up front rather than have my content gated behind artificial pay sinks.

Question 2b: If you do play multiple MMOs, which ones do you subscribe to? How did you decide which MMOs to subscribe to and which to play for free?
    EVE, Mortal Online, Planetside 2 (Station Pass), Wildstar (Annual), EQ, EQ2, PotBS, UO, Star Trek Online (Lifetime), DCUO (Lifetime)

Question 3: For any of the MMOs you have played, have you ever changed your subscriber status? (from free to subscribed or vice versa)
    No, not willingly.

Question 4: Have you ever made a micro-transaction (in-game purchase) in any of the MMOs you have played?
    Yes.

Question 4a: Have you ever made a micro-transaction in any other game or app?
    Yes.

Question 5: Have you ever subscribed to any non-game service? (such as Netflix)
    Yes.

Question 6: Do you mainly play MMOs to play with friends or workmates?
    No. I play to have a good time. It's nice if friends play too but other people don't define my play habits. Peer pressure died in me sometime back in the 1980s.

Question 6a: If so, do you subscribe to those games?

Question 6b: Have you ever continued to subscribe to an MMO after your friends/workmates have stopped playing the game?
    Yes.

\
    Last edited by Laeris; 05-29-2014 at 03:33 PM.

Heya, as someone who studied stuff at Uni as well, you may find that you will get more accurate answers if you ask for PMs to be submitted to you, as reading the answers of others can produce biased responses. I don't know if you are relying on anecdotal data only, but hopefully you are backing up your thesis with peer-reviewed journal studies, or are at least comparing your self-report data to those given in said journals. Being you are doing a Bachelors, I would think the Conclusion of your thesis could mention the shortcomings of method, for heuristic reasons. Good luck!
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

Quote Originally Posted by ilex011 View Post
    Heya, as someone who studied stuff at Uni as well, you may find that you will get more accurate answers if you ask for PMs to be submitted to you, as reading the answers of others can produce biased responses. I don't know if you are relying on anecdotal data only, but hopefully you are backing up your thesis with peer-reviewed journal studies, or are at least comparing your self-report data to those given in said journals. Being you are doing a Bachelors, I would think the Conclusion of your thesis could mention the shortcomings of method, for heuristic reasons. Good luck!
    Hey, thank you very much for the feedback! I'm honestly fairly new to conducting this kind of research as the course I'm in is mainly design-focused, but I'll try to take on your advice.

And also thanks to everyone who's answered the questions so far, you've been very helpful!

+ Reply to Thread