Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: playing a MMORPG is like dating a woman - response to "I quit..." threads

Default playing a MMORPG is like dating a woman - response to "I quit..." threads

Last edited by WockyCC; 05-20-2014 at 07:04 PM.

Wocky For the Win

It is, I have learned when it comes to MMORPG's, you are *not* allowed to like more than 1 at a time. And if you do, you better keep it to yourself.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    It is, I have learned when it comes to MMORPG's, you are *not* allowed to like more than 1 at a time. And if you do, you better keep it to yourself.
    Um Huh-I agree see a lot of this on the boards-the only response I have to people with that kind of logic usually fills my face with a similar look to your Ava'.

Good video Wocky, btw.

I disagree on the premise. You seem to think it is like a girlfriend but it is more like a religion to some people.

Default yeah... so...

Quote Originally Posted by Laeris View Post
    I disagree on the premise. You seem to think it is like a girlfriend but it is more like a religion to some people.
    the irony... oh, the irony...

that you responded to this - that you don't play Rift, are generally negative and are on these forums almost every single day... passing comments... it's almost like this video was inspired by.........

no, I don't want an infraction.

ps. the religion analogy only goes so far - so whether you agree or not, my analogy suits it better and no, I'm not discussing it further with you.
    Last edited by WockyCC; 05-23-2014 at 04:47 PM.

Which mmo dev is next on your list to "betray you", making you dwell overly attached on their forums while writing short stories about first world problems?
    Last edited by Kaiser Phoenix; 05-27-2014 at 11:05 PM.

Laughed so hard.

Quote Originally Posted by WockyCC View Post
    the irony... oh, the irony...

that you responded to this - that you don't play Rift, are generally negative and are on these forums almost every single day... passing comments... it's almost like this video was inspired by.........

no, I don't want an infraction.

ps. the religion analogy only goes so far - so whether you agree or not, my analogy suits it better and no, I'm not discussing it further with you.
    What, putting over 6,000 hours into a game and sinking hundreds of dollars into it is null and void the moment I uninstall? Jeepers, I missed that line in the EULA.

And it would be nice if someone here would fill this guy in on what I do for a job. I'll give you a hint: It has to do with writing and editing for one of them there popular gaming publications. I'm active daily here on Rift, SWTOR, EQ:N and Landmark, Wildstar, EVE, and GW2. I also do a lot with the Battle.net client games (mostly SC2, Hearthstone and D3... there's others who focus on WoW).

Gaming is what I do. As a prior developer and writer, I turned that into a media career. It's like still being a developer but with more pay, better hours and a whole lot more freeeeedooooooom!

The reason I'm such a royal P.I.T.A. here is because I actually like the hell out of Rift and played it on my own time outside of my normal work load as my chosen MMO of choice. I'm hard on Rift because I want to see it get better and fix its problems. I don't give anybody a free lunch. I've been around this industry since the Sierra days with the INN network (showing my age, ugh). If a developer does something right, I praise it. If they do something bad, I make it known.

I am a journalist (yeah there's still some of us around). I don't defend or advocate for any developer. There is only right, wrong, or indifferent based on the product's merits or lack thereof. I don't need a feel-good fanbase. I have a paycheck.

This is quite possibly the BEST video I've ever seen. Brilliant. I laughed so hard I had to replay parts of it.

Default sometimes... people just don't care

And it would be nice if someone here would fill this guy in on what I do for a job.
    <snip self-important babble>

You need to get a grip on that ego of yours - any ego bigger than mine is dangerous. At least I know my weaknesses as I am aware and secure in the knowledge of them. You don't.

Let me fill you in on what I do: besides running an IT company for general network support, owning multiple properties, my particular set of skills are that I'm an IT forensic investigator, character profiler acting as consultant to advocates and attorneys. So, I know whatever I "want" to know about you should I care to find out more. I have no interest in you. I comment only because you amuse me, but I grow weary of it quickly - which is why I generally ignore you.

I don't care "who" you are, "what" you do, what you "have done" - believe it or not you're not that important to me or to most other people on these forums for that matter - like me, you're just some guy on the forums even though you "try" your damnedest to act like you have some sort of "authority" on the subject matter and argue from that viewpoint. You just look absurd when you do this - you, like me are just a guy with an opinion. You have no divine insight or authority here.

so, all this nonsense aside... in respect to "Rift" - as that is (partially) what the video is about and even though we are in the off-topic forums - what you "say" in your embarrassment / defense / saving of face, your motives are and what you actually write do not correlate, so please don't try to now excuse yourself - whether you like it or not, a quick glance through most of your posts will reveal you as being overly negative and usually not very constructive.

Criticize Trion, but then offer a solution. It's probably why people think your book lacks substance as well - and why you are maybe criticized that the plot, characters are shallow and lack depth. Some people just write like a scholar, not like someone who has passion or talent. This is the difference between a best-seller writer and a guy who writes things for a job.

I would go into an in-depth character profile, but there is no need. Res Ipsa Loquitur

I'm done with you as I am not in the mood for forum wars or infractions over you.
    Last edited by WockyCC; 05-28-2014 at 04:02 PM.

You're free to criticize all you like. Clearly, for someone so disinterested you've:

• Made a 17 minute video about me
    • Read my book (or, at least pretended to)
    • Offered a synopsis of said book (or, at least pretended to)
    • Insulted me a few times for fun (yay for that)
    Now on to the non-constructive bit.

You'll note the post about my disdain for the exclusive mount thing. I offered suggestions for ammendments there. Guess what, they acted on it. Yay for that! Was it all me? No. Did I offer constructive feed back? Absolutely.

Now, since you're looking through my posts now too (I'd make a comment about coattails and skirt hems but I won't) you'll note that the MAJORITY of my posts are about 2 things. 1) Free to play and 2) The Roleplay community. So, let's expand upon that a moment:

Here's a short list of the constructive points I have put out (several dozen times for certain)
    • Enforce RP ruleset. I even gave a laundry list over the years how I think it would be best or even viable to do so ranging from player volunteer programs to augment the in-game staff to hiring specific in-game moderators to moderate the chat log and actively seek out habitual offenders (they did this by the way)
    • Curtail active harassment
    • Empower RPers by offering more outside of the dimension RP content and locations
    • I've stood up for other guilds and have personally written letters to Trion as part of a larger community action (many guild leaders and concerned people voicing our concerns via certified letters and notices on BBs around the Web) both here on these forums and in my publication that ultimately helped solve some rather serious harassment issues which brought about a meaningful change to the community
    • I have offered countless ideas and criticisms on the F2P conversion. Yes, I don't like it and yes, I have offered a -lot- of constructive ideas on how one may be able to amend the system for others and ideas on how to bolster the value of the patron program
    Now, does that mean everyone has to like what my ideas are? Absolutely not. Just like with my book, it will not appeal to everyone... but hey, I've sold close to 100,000 copies. It is no "best seller" but when you think about it, the best seller's club is very small. You have a better chance to win the Powerball lottery twice than you do to write a single fiction category best seller in your lifetime. I don't exactly chalk that up as one of my requirements for satisfaction as a writer.

I write for one reason: My enjoyment in knowing that others are entertained or engaged by my work. Whether it is one of my novels, one of my textbooks (I have written several university textbooks on world theology subject matter), or enjoyed the characters I've made while working as a developer on MMOs in days past. To me, writing isn't about the money... it's about the interaction with others and the satisfaction in knowing that what I write impacts someone. I write for medical software companies, journalistic publications, video game developers, and for my own projects. In the past, I've also written advertising copy, marketing slicks, Web campaigns and I even did a stint writing witty sayings for t-shirts at Snogs Tees. I am a writer... marginalizing me for what I do is a fool's errand.

Not all people achieve their career's pinnacle. For a writer, some might see the Pulitzer or a Nobel prize as such a pinnacle. For others, the top might be a spot on the Best Seller's list. Are there not writers who are worth their time who never make it on such notable lists?

I think the difference between you and me is mainly that I am pleased in all things. I have fun doing what I do. I do not tear others down for my own amusement (you'll have to search long and hard through my post history for such things). I may disagree with the content they discuss but you will not see me descend to a personal level because people who do that lack substance.

I love debate and the exchange of ideas... whether I personally agree with them or not. It is through such things that we as people grow and ideas are refined into better ones. When a person descends to personal attacks it is a simple case of showing the world that you have no ideas or constructive means to continue the discourse. In my opinion, if you don't like what's being said, you should say, "I don't agree with you... <insert different opinion or reason why>."

But no, launching a personal attack is a gradeschool thing. Making a 17 minute video about me is fairly petty as well... but hey, it's entertaining so all the power to you. I'm a public writer (at least my pseudonym is anyway) so I expect people from time-to-time to dig up negative reviews on Amazon in the same manner that people datamine press releases about MMOs for the negative content to post later on the forums about how the game is dead or dying.

I'll just say this for now: I think you do need to move on. For someone who is so disinterested in me... I really don't want to know what you're like when you are interested in me. I would very much like to keep you as distant as possible.

Now my turn for Latin! (Been waiting to do this all post long)

Abi.
    Last edited by Laeris; 05-28-2014 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WockyCC View Post
    Some people just write like a scholar, not like someone who has passion or talent.
    Complete tangent, but... ah... as a published academic, I like to think that scholarly writing and passion/talent for such are not mutually exclusive.

Even though it might be easy to dismiss a paper from a scientific journal as particularly dry or boring (and many of them are), you can really tell a difference between authors with a passion for their work and those whom are simply trying to meet their University's quota.
    Last edited by Annalea; 05-28-2014 at 07:01 PM.
    Abbess, Petals of Mariel-Taun
    Avatar provided kindly by Cakuu! <3

Now, does that mean everyone has to like what my ideas are? Absolutely not. Just like with my book, it will not appeal to everyone... but hey, I've sold close to 100,000 copies.
    Abi.
    "The Choir of Thunder: Dawn of the Stormbringer " sold 100k copies? Do you have some proof?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast