+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: YouTube to Buy Twitch for $1 billion

Default YouTube to Buy Twitch for $1 billion

Title says it all but i've put together some brief thoughts in this video.

If anyone else has any opinions please do share them with us all

YouTube to Buy Twitch for $1 billion
    Intim @ Zaviel EU
    Twitch Channel ,YouTube,Twitter

Another site I wont be using then if it implements using gmail as the login system.. ho hum..

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by BaronVonBoom View Post
    Another site I wont be using then if it implements using gmail as the login system.. ho hum..
    This is bad, there's going to be just a few companies that control most things. Sadly competition authorities will do sweet FA about it. Twitch is based in the USA, yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by caitie View Post
    This is bad, there's going to be just a few companies that control most things. Sadly competition authorities will do sweet FA about it. Twitch is based in the USA, yeah?
    Exactly, I already have to make sure im not being tracked by Google analytics on everything I search, see & do. So I try to avidly avoid using their mailing system if possible as its just hugely intrusive. If they take Twitch then Its just another site I will be able to view but not participate in via comments & possibly chats during streaming:/

Google needs to seriously reel it in as like you say its becoming an all devouring monster of a company.

Indeed buying up everything to carve up the digital world.

Sounds like the return to empires in 1900s
    Intim @ Zaviel EU

Ascendant

Google needs to seriously reel it in as like you say its becoming an all devouring monster of a company.
    People complain about how much their government knows about them but forget about Google. Some probably don't realise that the purpose of gmail is to search your email!

Google services no longer require that you use a gmail account to login. You can most definitely use your own personal email.

Who gives a crap about Youtube (Google) buying Twitch.

The real deals actually affecting people are Pfizer trying to crush Aztra Zeneca and purge 2500 scientist jobs in Sweden. GE buying Alstom. Volkswagen buying Scania to transfer technologies. Where is the European union competition buroue in theese affairs.

But still, this should really be looked over in respective competition buroue (EU and US): Google has a too big marketshare.

For example Volvo wasn't allowed to buy Scania back in 1999 (? I belive ?) because it would create a marketshare of 90% of trucks in the Scandinavian markets. I already think that youtube have a 90% marketshare of legal moviemedia consumption. Shameful.

But then again, who am I advocating healthy competition and jobs (mostly in Sweden) when Pfizer wanna taxcheat to generate even bigger profits.

There's something about american business who stinks badly.
    Flfe, swaging in <Mostly Harmless@Gelidra> since 2013
    4/4 Frozen divas
    Endless divas 5/5
    Planebreaker divas 2/5, Infinty divas 2/3
    Grim divas 2/4

Quote Originally Posted by Folfe View Post
    Who gives a crap about Youtube (Google) buying Twitch.

The real deals actually affecting people are Pfizer trying to crush Aztra Zeneca and purge 2500 scientist jobs in Sweden. GE buying Alstom. Volkswagen buying Scania to transfer technologies. Where is the European union competition buroue in theese affairs.

But still, this should really be looked over in respective competition buroue (EU and US): Google has a too big marketshare.

For example Volvo wasn't allowed to buy Scania back in 1999 (? I belive ?) because it would create a marketshare of 90% of trucks in the Scandinavian markets. I already think that youtube have a 90% marketshare of legal moviemedia consumption. Shameful.

But then again, who am I advocating healthy competition and jobs (mostly in Sweden) when Pfizer wanna taxcheat to generate even bigger profits.

There's something about american business who stinks badly.
    Nearly off the off topic there. Don't worry the whole phyiser deal is a hot political potatoe in the UK.

I guess more needs to be done to watch the big corps who are running everything. Scary
    Intim @ Zaviel EU

Soulwalker

Default A T & T to buy DirecTV

Just thought I'd add that to the file.

I remember when Ma Bell was broken up into Baby Bells. Seems all things do come full circle.
    "Food for thought is no substitute for the real thing." Walt Kelly

"Boredom is an affliction of small minds." Wink TartanBelle (me)

Last edited by Baramos; 05-19-2014 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Intim View Post
    Nearly off the off topic there. Don't worry the whole phyiser deal is a hot political potatoe in the UK.

I guess more needs to be done to watch the big corps who are running everything. Scary
    That's the point, the deal discussions are run in England. And they just consider England. The swedish medical business depends on Astra, Cameron is selfish. Europeans must see themself as an united people, and therefore defend each job.
    Flfe, swaging in <Mostly Harmless@Gelidra> since 2013
    4/4 Frozen divas
    Endless divas 5/5
    Planebreaker divas 2/5, Infinty divas 2/3
    Grim divas 2/4

Can't wait to see Google+ comments in Twitch chat channel like "Come see this video" "This title-of-video-I-just-watched is amazing, come watch".

In all seriousness though, there's a few concerns:
    • If they employ Youtube's copyrighted-content system that will be annoying.
    • You'll likely not be able to run music on your streams, but I think that's fine since you shouldn't be able to anyway (if it is copyrighted material and you don't have permission from the owners which I doubt many streams do).
    • Google+.

That said, perhaps ad revenue will increase for Twitch, they could potentially get better infrastructure and the streamers will possibly get more ad revenue + like Youtube they could potentially start earning revenue from the get-go or at lower subscriber numbers.

From what I read on a reddit post recently Twitch has something like 'reach-5,000-subscribers-and-we'll-let-you-share-revenue' -type deal. If Youtube/Google buys them they could potentially use Youtube's policy.

I really hope this doesn't go through... I'm going to be upset with the people who own Twitch if they sell to Google. If they're seriously offering $1 billion then CLEARLY Twitch is worth a significant amount... in which case they shouldn't need to sell and will still make quite a comfortable income. And it seems livestreaming is constantly becoming more popular, so I expect it will continue to grow and their service will become more profitable as time goes on.

I really want to get away from Google. I'm not part of these tinfoil hat conspiracies, I'm just getting sick of the way Google plows everything into their tunnel-vision goal for making Google+ a viable marketing platform (shame, because I actually really like Google+'s setup and think if they were focused on a pro-user platform YT & G+ integration could be the best thing possible... but they aren't pro-user). YouTube is riddled with bugs that haven't been fixed and if their "Known issues" page is any indicator, they have no intentions of fixing them and apparently aren't aware of some of the issues that millions are having. Some of the known issues today are things that have been an issue for ages.

And right now their ghost banning system is just awful... on the pages/channels on my YouTube account (but not on my personal G+ profile which is the core account) my replies to other users' comments are completely invisible, and this carries over if I add a new channel to the account... all because if you get flagged as spam a few times within some timeframe (which happens from people disagreeing with your opinion and using flag as spam instead of downvote), you are automatically blacklisted.

I'm really hoping this deal doesn't go through. I like Twitch the way it is.
    GALUHAD
    CSTM - Faeblight (RP - NA)
    Dimensions: Elven Retreat | Floods of Isengard (PvP)
    Twitter | Twitch | YouTube

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast