+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By WriteThemWrong

Thread: how is this game compared to FF14:ARR?

Soulwalker

Default how is this game compared to FF14:ARR?

Would like to know

Shield of Telara WriteThemWrong's Avatar

Rift wasn't so poorly done it had to be torn down and remade entirely.

You can blow through FFXIV ARR all content in 2 months.
    Without serious investments in time over many many months you can't see all the content in Rift. You would have plenty to do in Rift

Source: Tanked all "Turns" of Bahamut's Coil, the end game dungeon.

End game players wore no crafted or dyable gear (some aesthetics have changed recently) so the customizability was pretty terrible.

tldr people play ffxiv because they like to look at lalafel

I actually have and like ARR.

Pretty much for me simple break down.

Story/presentation=Rift.
    Graphics and visuals=ARR.
    PVP=equally average.
    Dungeons=Rift.
    Classes=Rift(just simply has a lot more diversity and possible roles)
    Combat=Rift, close but ARR never really picks up even post lvl20+
    Events=Rift
    Content=Rift.
    Crafting=ARR.
    Quests=Rift.

This is also open world continents rather than linear zones. You will however miss the ability to switch class/job on the fly on the same character.
    Fates are a poor attempt at open world/random player grouping, especially compared to Rifts and Invasions which still remain, imo, the only really good example of this in MMOrpg's.

This MMO is just far more complete in my opinion then ARR(which is still very good)

Give it a go, after all it is free.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by gobSIDES View Post
    Story/presentation=Rift.
    No chance. The amount of effort SE went to with the story eclipses Trion's attempts. I've finished the 2.1 and 2.2 story and even that was up to a high standards for a content patch.

Quote Originally Posted by nubstar View Post
    Would like to know
    Pretty different.

Crafting: Much less involved.
    Gathering: Much less involved, more integrated with the rest of the game, less efficient if you just want to farm materials.
    Raiding: By most accounts, the raid content is pretty decent. FF14 seems to have more emphasis on overall raid strategy and tradeoffs, less on executing pretty clearly-understood tactics well.
    Class design: Individual character builds are more flexible. However, each character can only use one quarter of the available class abilities, and only abilities from three classes at any time. Nothing comparable to the specialized jobs you unlock at high levels in FF14.
    Combat: Faster-paced (GCD typically 1.5s or 1s instead of 2.5s), but often somewhat simpler.

I like them both, they're very different games, though. I would say, if you're curious, try it out for a bit. It is free, and really, they're not kidding; you can play through to endgame and raid without paying a penny, and you're not going to be suffering horribly from the slow levelling. Or at least, the levelling speed is the same as or faster than the levelling speed we were happily paying subs for pre-F2P, they didn't make it suddenly grindier or anything.

I like both. I spend more time playing Rift, but at least part of that is the addon API; if FF14's addon API shows up and doesn't suck too much, I may spend more time there.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Rift Chaser

If you played ARR and haven't tried rift, well its like you sold your playstation 2 and tried to play playstation 1's game (ARR is graphically superior )

Default FFXIV = Meh

I tried FFXIV and played for less than a week before coming back to Rift. I like the mechanics and game play in Rift far more than FFXIV.
    Processor: Intel i5 2500K @ 3.3Ghz
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB DDR3
    Graphics: EVGA Geforce GTX 560Ti 1GB
    OS Drive: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 256GB SATA III SSD (Win 7 Pro 64-bit)
    Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V LX

@caitie That's your opinion, but in my mind I'm not a fan of the Pokemon style dialogue boxes Japan use in every single RPG they put out.

Shadowlander

FF14 is an absolute *disaster* of a game.

- Zero customization, cross class skills are an unmitigated joke and have no place in your rotation. Every single one of your peers will have the exact same cross class skills which they won't use either so it makes absolutely no sense.
    - Zone design is inexplicably terrible. Every zone has a town 30 seconds away. You literally cannot run across a map without hitting some sort of town or outpost every 30 seconds. This is not an exaggeration.
    - End game content has no soul. People are just wordlessly grinding away with no explicit purpose.
    - The creators are Japanese and have zero interest in their Western customers. They don't talk to anyone but Japanese players.
    - Fate grinding is without a doubt the most inane thing I have done in a game, MMO or not.
    - End game zones which there are exactly two of them are ultra tiny and repetitive. Mor Dona is a little loop of a racetrack that you run around. Incomprehensible zone design.
    - You are expected to pay monthly for this ****.

Yeah, enjoy.

Shadowlander

A couple of more facts about this travesty:

- Zones are corridors. Everything is a linear tunnel and you absolutely cannot go wherever you want to go.
    - No swimming. Every single river is a foot deep and you can walk across it.
    - World is very small there are an insane amount of load screens. Even cities are divided up into three separate areas, a loading screen on each. Absolutely not seamless.
    - Chocobos are worthless in combat therefore pointless to level up.
    - Combat is TERRIBLE. It is like you are playing through molasses. Super slow, very repetitive and limit breaks are only available in groups.

One thing I will say I loved is the weather effects. They even have a heatwave weather effect where you see ripples in the air. It is cool.

I suggest you ask this on the FF14 forums too. I bet you will get opposite response.

Negative points on Rift and positive points on FF14 that is.
    Pantz@Hailol
    Asia's best cleric

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by irkiz View Post
    I suggest you ask this on the FF14 forums too. I bet you will get opposite response.

Negative points on Rift and positive points on FF14 that is.
    FF14 white Knights would rip Rift white knights apart.

Quote Originally Posted by nubstar View Post
    Would like to know
    It's basically impossible to get an objective answer to this.

For every single MMO I've ever played, there have been people that have said it was the best MMO on the market. And I don't think that any of them were wrong, they just have different criterion for "best". Different people like different things.

+ Reply to Thread