+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: To Those Still Calling For FLying Mounts

Ascendant

Default To Those Still Calling For FLying Mounts

Blizzard have finally realised how game-breaking they are and there won't be any more flying in new expansions:

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/3...mounts/#post82

Of course, there's plenty of time for them to reverse this decision in the face of the fire-storm this has created, but I have to say I'm stunned they're trying to pull this trick in the face on on-going decline in numbers: flying is one of the main mitigations for the game's mind-numbingly tedious end-game grinds.

I love this bit:

Being efficient is great, being clever is great, and using your cleverness to be efficient is great, but how many of us have done the Tillers dailies up on the cliffside where the Hozen are, and waited for packs to pass by before setting down right where you’re supposed to, use whatever thingamabob you’re supposed to, and then lift off ASAP hoping-hoping-hoping nothing aggros? How many of us have become furious when we actually have to fight something!? Is that clever gameplay? Is that being good at playing the game, or is it using a mechanic to avoid having to play it? Is that what the game should be, and what our expectations should be as gamers playing it?
    Classic Blizzard-think: yes, players behave like that because the 'fight' alternative IS NOT FUN, it's a tedious delay in an entirely tedious set of dailies we only do because the reward outweighs the mind-numbing tedium of the getting.

Blizzard's response: take away the tedium-remover and keep yelling the mantra "we think it's fun SO YOU WILL DO TOO!".
    Last edited by Kerin; 04-27-2014 at 11:14 PM.

Ascendant

Seriously you went with declining numbers. /sigh

Utterly moronic decision. It's been my theory that they're pandering to the vocal world ganking lobby. They tried to bring back world ganking by placing vendors that are usually in the city in the open world. It failed. I wish they'd just make all servers PvE and have optional flagging for PvP. I guess the rogues wouldn't like that.

Their rational being that you can swoop in kill a mob and when fly back out. yes that's true but guess what: when they introduced flying in TBC (currently the flock's best expansion) they had a solution to this. Flying guards that would knock you off. Yip, that simple.

If you want a lol look at the reason for the increased price of services for players using GBP.

Oh, look, another thread in an MMO bashing another MMO. Lets look at the facts: Blizzard is doing an experiment with flying. Flying was great for the game when it was release because they had flying content in mind on Outland. That has since been abandoned, but flying stayed in the game because why not. To me, as a WoW raider, I really could care less about flying. I like the thought of having to fight through a fortress to get to my objective and have to fight back out again. It makes it seem, when I think about it, like a lot of potential fun instead of just flying up after I'm done. In fact, I don't even consider it a 'feature' so, as a consumer, I don't feel like anything is being taken away from the product I pay for.

I also don't think people in Rift ever realistically called for flying mounts. Rift has transportation right with the gates being at convenient spots. You are never wondering around aimlessly on a ground mount for too long between interest points which most likely have gates. I think the reason people call for flying mounts is to troll players who take the game too seriously and get their panties in a bunch, such as the OP.
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

Telaran

Don't care what WoW does. Flying mounts are a vanity option at best. But, I don't see the need for them in Rift. I suppose, if you are trying to get somewhere that is far from a "hub" area and don't feel like fighting your way back to where you were, flying there could be nice, but Rift is small enough, or at least compact enough, to where you don't really need to fly.

... I'm patiently waiting for a mount that can at least 'glide'
    why? Because i missed my flying mounts from WoW and it was fun.

From a business perspective, it seems like a poor decision; however, I agree that flying mounts made some of their content completely irrelevant as you tried to avoid combat as much as possible.

Glad my favorite mount is my Swift Horde Wolf from ToGC lol.
    Last edited by Lethaemis; 04-29-2014 at 12:48 PM.
    12/12 -- 15/15 -- 9/9
    Comet Of Ankhet -- 2/4HM
    Lethaemis@Laethys 1600 Primalist

Who cares? It's time that over-simplified nonsense was retired and replaced.
    Last edited by Captain Kremmen; 05-03-2014 at 02:21 AM.

Rift Master

Still waiting for gravity to hurt in this game...

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Guidinglite View Post
    Still waiting for gravity to hurt in this game...
    Good gods no!!! I love no fall damage! It feels epic to me to be able to race all over the place and go soaring off a mountain cliff.. This game would be completely ruined for me if they started doing fall damage... just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahnastashia View Post
    Good gods no!!! I love no fall damage! It feels epic to me to be able to race all over the place and go soaring off a mountain cliff.. This game would be completely ruined for me if they started doing fall damage... just saying.
    The introduction of no-fall-damage was supposed to be a temporary fix, until the underlying problem was corrected. That fix never coming was the beginning of the slippery slope to where the game lies today. A poor reflection of the game I started playing soon after launch in 2011.

Okay what if we had flying mounts, but they only worked in steppes of infinity? Seriously its like the most poorly designed zone in the history of mmos imo =x
    ~ | Fiskerton | Fiskermage | Fiskerheals | Fiskerbear | ~

I'm a homeless stray of a raider

there goes their income from fancy mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethaemis View Post
    From a business perspective, it seems like a poor decision; however, I agree that flying mounts made some of their content completely irrelevant as you tried to avoid combat as much as possible.

Glad my favorite mount is my Swift Horde Wolf from ToGC lol.
    Vanguard:SOH had the best flying mounts. They resolved these issues or exploits, by creating no fly zones in areas where it gave a clear advantage. It was a lot of fun and very satisfying to just be able to launch into the air at any time, and quickly arrive at a spot on the map to do your adventuring.

In RIFT, often you're going from one side of the map to another for zone events. You're dodging the zone's population, invasion forces, going around hills or other obstacles, and generally not taking a straight line to your destination.

I don't understand how people are arguing there should be no flying mounts, because they provide exploits in certain situations. Just fix the exploits.

I would love flying mounts in RIFT. But I'm not going to push the issue because I'll just go play another game I enjoy that has flying mounts, like ArcheAge.
    Last edited by Altira; 05-06-2014 at 09:50 PM.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX9Xhdstz80
    "If this (points to heart) is empty, this (points to head) doesn't matter."

When rumors first started circulating about this my first reaction was annoyance. I like getting to a raid asap without getting dismounted by some trash, I like "hoping hoping hoping" when MoP was first release because it made the dailies I wanted to do a lot quicker.
    After some consideration and reflection I think back to my most memorable times I've had in the game and non of them included anything to do with flying.

Given the fact they abandoned the enormous rep/daily after the first tier of raids (nudge nudge Trion get on the band wagon with that), the need to hop between mobs wasn't as important and have come to terms with that it would probably make the game more fun overall.

Also Rift doesn't need flying mounts, ports are sufficient
    Last edited by GoldChrish; 05-07-2014 at 05:28 PM.
    Chrish @ Wolfsbane

oh well i dont really wanna see flying mounts inRift...but i cant resist the idea of riding a Greenscale mount
    Maniaq@Greybriar

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast