Closed Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Who will move to Wildstar?

I got beta key for next weekend. Finally I can test this game.
    Sheona/Faynee <VANEN> , <Apotheosys>

Rift Chaser

I got beta keys too....ill try it for the weekend.

found a good video about wildstar, that adresses the pre endgame content.

he shares my attitude towards 1-20, but he says the whole outlook of the game will change once youve been in a dungeon and higher in levels.

Hm my highest beta character was 19, might have to try the lvl 20 dungeon to see if it hooks me as well.

Exaggerated cartoon characters. Pass.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX9Xhdstz80
    "If this (points to heart) is empty, this (points to head) doesn't matter."

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser Phoenix View Post
    found a good video about wildstar, that adresses the pre endgame content.

he shares my attitude towards 1-20, but he says the whole outlook of the game will change once youve been in a dungeon and higher in levels.

Hm my highest beta character was 19, might have to try the lvl 20 dungeon to see if it hooks me as well.
    It's a biased opinion just like every one else's and no better or worse, its good in your opinion because you agree with him. many others do not.

IMO no one still playing Rift can call another game bad or a flop - not even SWTOR which is, all things considered, a more successful MMO than Rift.
    Last edited by Gruntled; 04-23-2014 at 01:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post

tl;dr - Trion should do this: Melee = Turret Ranged > Mobile Ranged

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntled View Post
    It's a biased opinion just like every one else's and no better or worse, its good in your opinion because you agree with him. many others do not.

IMO no one still playing Rift can call another game bad or a flop - not even SWTOR which is, all things considered, a more successful MMO than Rift.

I see you haven't watched the video

I am quite hesitant to try out Wildstar mainly because the graphics is a bit too cartoonish for me. Apart from that, sounds like it might be a great game. Will probably only try it if I get a beta pass. Probably won't buy it right away when it hits live.

Any other MMOs coming up?
    Pantz@Hailol
    Asia's best cleric

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by BouncyHippo View Post
    Wildstar seems really cool. And i don't think i will have room for two huge MMO's. So it is going to be one or the other. Who thinks Wildstar is going to be the next big hit for MMO's? I watched the devspeak and they claim that the classes are balanced, they didn't make assassins overpowered like Rift does.
    I don't know as I haven't played Wildstar yet. I recently got the weekend beta key so I'll probably give it a whirl. Though, I doubt I'll get too involved with Wildstar, unless it's literally groundbreaking, never experienced mmorpg concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    I think it has the most potential of any MMO since Rift, and I think Carbine has significantly more resources behind it. And they're taking advantage of the complete absence of games with compelling PvP content, rather than adding it in as a side-show like Rift, SWTOR, and FFXIV:ARR did. The Warplot thing is particularly ambitious.

Of course, it could go completely belly-up. The 40-man raids are a gamble (one that I hope they have a contingency plan for). I also hate the theme and the visuals. WoW in space. Bleh.
    I like spaced themed games, I really liked SWTOR, at least the immersion of it, the feel of going from planet to planet, etc, space stations and all. Even though when you look at it, it's nothing more than just going from one "continent" to another (or zone). Also a reason I particularly like Mass Effect too, cause it really immerses you into the space theme.
    White Fang

Adastra@Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntled View Post

Fun fact for you: Trion, in the first 9 months it was live made 100 million in "profit." No idea what their numbers are after that (Google it if you want proof).

Now, here's how much SWTOR has made in profit for launch until 5 minutes ago: $0

That's because It ran 150-250 million in development, then EA spend close to 400 million in marketing related costs. That's why you see total estimates for SWTOR to be in the ballpark of around 600-700millon. Their last investor call stated they've made around 450 million in revenues.

It will be 2018 before they recoup their investment.

Given that, define your definition of "Success." I say this because if it weren't multibillion dollar EA running the show, SWTOR would have bankrupted any other developer.

Shield of Telara WriteThemWrong's Avatar

I tried it last during last weekend's beta test. There's some things I liked about it like the cartoony graphics. I'm all right with them since it seems to fit the tone of the game. Character models and ability animations were really cool. It also seems much more modern than any other MMO in terms of atmosphere but also gameplay.

But there are things that, at best, are awkward. The UI has virtually no customization. Movement mechanics are just excessive; sprint, dodge, and double jump?! Still can't get over the ground projected skill shot abilities. Some say it makes the combat more dynamic but I found myself struggling to move or do much else because I had to face my enemy to do damage. In PvP I found this especially annoying.

I'll probably give it a try though just because it is a very interesting game, it's focus on PvE content, and the developers might just be worth the subscription.
    Last edited by WriteThemWrong; 04-25-2014 at 11:28 PM.

Just started playing the beta weekend and first impressions, not good. The character creation has only a handful of base faces, but most look awful. If it finally gets past the loading screen, the UI is bulky, buggy and cant be customized. Theres this datapad thing thats just too big and has a bug that it wont stay shrunk when told. Alot of the UI are addons, and if they crash you can lose the chatbox, ability bar or health bar. It does not feel worth a monthly sub for whats involved. Basically just full of bugs but I hope that its just the beta, and not in the full version.

Good points. The graphics, although cartoony, suit the game and look great! roles and paths work well. The controls, although a bit awkward to start off with, are a good idea and can be configured to your play style. I originally wanted the pre-order for all the cool stuff, but now I think im going to wait till the end of the year to see if they fix anything or goes free to play.

Tried it this weekend and i looooove it. Bye bye rift. Just bye bye. Ur pay to win pvp can shove it

Rift Disciple

Tried it... didn't like it so far. Kinda looked like hearthstone if it were an mmo as far as aesthetics go.... wasn't into the UI or gameplay.
    Last edited by Constants; 04-27-2014 at 10:07 AM.

RIFT Guide Writer Sekhmet The Fierce's Avatar

Chiming in after a very long time not posting/absence:

I've played Wildstar on one of the beta weekends and honestly, it plays nice. The visuals aren't my cup of tea normally, but they have a character and feel that is a lot more refined than the likes of ESO (insert generic fantasy theme here). Having also played ESO, Wildstar proved to be a far more polished experienced in its early beta state than ESO's getting ready to go live state. Not to mention, Wildstar characters don't move or have attack animations that look like the character has a large object inserted up its backside. Also, Wildstar's combat was not terribad like ESO's.

That said, I'm not entirely sold yet on whether to go for ArcheAge or Wildstar, or just to go back to EVE Online like some bittervet and give up on themepark MMOs for good. AA seems like it has a good set of features, but since I haven't gotten onto alpha/beta access yet, I can't say for sure if it will do the trick for me. As for Wildstar, I at least know a number of guildies/friends are going there and so I have some incentive to give it a go.

No game is perfect, but with most of my guildies on Rift now moving elsewhere to other pastures (greener or not), there's now little to keep me playing. Plus, my fear with ArcheAge is that Trion will push the cashshop a little too aggressively and end up doing the PvP lockboxes for BiS gear, pay-for-gear and the general gambling/skinner boxes. At least with Wildstar and its EVE Online-esque business model, I get what I pay for. As for the F2P cashshop, it all depends on whether Trion wants to milk its customers silly or not.

Maybe my last concern won't be proved right, as once Trion has more than one profit source, it might not need to pursue more aggressive measures. But for Rift, it has left a little bit of a bad taste. Note, it didn't start this way as initially the model was sound and unintrusive.

TL;DR: I'm waiting and seeing before I make up my mind on this. Lots of games with potential, but only so much time for me to split between.
    "Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein."
    He who fights with Monsters should look to it that He himself does not become a Monster. And when you gaze long into an Abyss, the Abyss also gazes into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Dunno about you guys but Wildstar looks like Borderlands for kids...

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast