+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which laptop ?

Soulwalker

Default Which laptop ?

Hey all been looking on getting a new laptop and narrowed it down to these 3, just wondering which will perform the best and will i need the i7 for the extra ??

thanks links below..

http://www.ebuyer.com/517551-pc-spec...op-pcs-l563895
    http://www.ebuyer.com/632111-pc-spec...op-pcs-l657742
    http://www.ebuyer.com/583053-msi-ge6...ge60-2od-286uk

The correct answer is a PC if you intend to use it for games. The only situation I could see it justifiable to buy a laptop with the intent of gaming is if you travel constantly. So yeah get an equivalent PC.

IonCannon@Deepwood
    2 sugoi 4 u

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by IonCannon View Post
    The correct answer is a PC if you intend to use it for games. The only situation I could see it justifiable to buy a laptop with the intent of gaming is if you travel constantly. So yeah get an equivalent PC.
    Always on the move has to be a laptop im afraid.

I'm not an expert, but between those 3 I would say the Cosmos II X580, from a purely specs perspective. Reasons being, the 850m is the newer Maxwell architecture, which is more power-efficient than the other two. Also, according to NotebookCheck, which I've relied on much in the past for detailed info, the 850m outperforms the 765m which is in one of the other ones you posted. Also, even though the VX15 comes with an i7, it is at lower clock speed (granted, not by much) and Rift is more reliant on single core clock speed for performance than multiple cores. This may change in the future, but I'm not counting chickens.

And yes, people will say use a desktop. I'm sure that's better, no doubt. Personally I play Rift on a laptop, the Asus G67VW (the 660m variant). I keep my settings on Ultra + a few others turned higher (such as draw distance), and I get 20-30 fps in dungeons/raids, 40-50 in dimensions, and....like 15 idling around TB, but that's TB. I also use a cheap wireless trackball (Logitech M570), for doubters of that. Gaming mice and desktops and wired ethernet connections are great if you can get them, but by no means necessary for Rift, even for raiding.

If possible, I WOULD recommend upgrading to an SSD if you can. Mine broke (freakin' OCZ bankruptcy....) and so I'm back on a regular HDD for now, but the load times on the SSD were quite nice, both in Windows and Rift (you'll lag at 95% still for a moment but you'll get to 95% faster!), and I'll be getting another when I've saved up a bit. I also upgraded the RAM in mine but that won't help Rift at all, from how I understand it.
    Last edited by Serein; 04-13-2014 at 01:52 PM.
    Serein, Gaetinn, Amkhe, Skaidras | Co-Guild Leader of <Nordvegr> of Faeblight | 4/4 iROTP 4/4 TD 3/3 BOS
    New to Rift? Free bag, cape, weapon glow, and title with my Ascend-a-Friend code: EPZHJKQ3DDYHG7GDEDHJ

+ Reply to Thread