+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Budget comp build

Default Budget comp build

Thinking of building a low cost computer to replace a 8 year old dell. Won't see much heavy use, internet/videos/music/photo editing mostly. If you guys can give me any recommendations of either how to reduce cost or where the system may be falling short it would be appreciated. Keep in mind this will be my first build so I'm kinda winging it.

Here's what I'm thinking of

CPU $70
    AMD Phenom 9850 Black Edition 2.5GHz
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103286

Mobo $50
    Foxconn A76ML-K AM3 Ready / AM2+ / AM2 AMD 760G
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813186166

PSU $30
    COOLER MASTER Elite 460 RS-460-PSAR-J3 460W ATX12V
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817171046

Memory $46
    Kingston HyperX 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820104072

Hard Drive $60
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3750528AS 750GB 7200 RPM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148445

CD/DVD Rom $17
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136168

Case $30
    Rosewill R223-P-BK 120mm Fan ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147109

Total cost = $303

Any recommendations, advice, or general tips will be appreciated.

If you don't plan on gaming and adding an add in graphics card I suppose that would do ok. I wouldn't recommend what is effectively last generation tech for a gaming build though.

If you were going to game you'd want at least around a 650w PSU these days. I'd also recommend replacing the following for gaming (and note that it's not a whole lot more than the current parts.)

AMD Athlon II X4 635 AM3 $100
    G.Skill Ripjaw 4 gig DDR3-1600 $95
    ASUS M4A77TD $85

Total $280

Note this does not have on-motherboard video, so you'd need something like a XFX AMD 5670 $100 as a minimum to game.

You may want to peep my site for bla bla if you want the system to game. If you are going to do editing you will certainly want to kick up the ram to at least 4 gig and probably want to spend a touch more on CPU power.

Don't forget you'll need an OS.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

I agree with the bunny above me. My power unit is the one thing that broke the most. Maybe go for a bit more expensive / bigger one^^.

Just a few things...I think the original Phenom CPUs weren't all that great at the time from a performance standpoint, and also had some issues. It might be worth $10 or so to move up to a 3.1GHz dual-core Phenom II X2. You'd get much better performance in the type of usage you're looking for.

I'd go with a different case...the case is mostly a personal preference thing, and mostly comes down to me not liking that brand.

For low price quality cases, I like Cooler Master, but then again I typical spend about $50 because I like getting two 120mm fans and I think the quality is a bit better at that price point.

I would probably recommend getting a low priced discrete graphics card, even in a system just for general use. I just don't feel like onboard graphics ever really cut it that well...especially now that more and more 2D apps (including Windows 7) use the GPU to accelerate performance.
    "Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

forums - Fozzik's Hardware
    blog - The Last Bastion

I suggest you don't skimp on a power supply, pay the extra money for it.
    The Tanks Philosophy: If the tank dies its the healers fault, if the healer dies its the tanks fault, when the DPS die its their own damn fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Torcalil View Post
    I suggest you don't skimp on a power supply, pay the extra money for it.
    To drive that point home (if needed) I always tell people two things...

It's the heart of your system. Like your own heart you don't want one that's underpowered. One heart attack and it's all over.

Think of the power supply like a controled lightning gun. If it ever gets out of control it could do very bad things to your system.

rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast

Finally an AMD build.

I'm using a M4A89 Series MB in my build. Not needed but a nice MB if you want one that can handle upgrades in the future. It took a bios upgrade but mine is running all 6 cores with no issues.

Only issue I have with this build is the CPU is lacking atm, I'm planning on upgrading it to liquid cooling soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    all 6 cores with no issues.
    Only issue I have with this build is the CPU is lacking atm, I'm planning on upgrading it to liquid cooling soon.
    *boggle* Any AMD 6 core CPU should have more than enough power for gaming. I think you'll have to define "lacking" so we can help determine your problem. I highly doubt your CPU is it, and even a heavy OC via liquid cooling will likely only yield a minimal gain. (Particularly considering that a real liquid cooling system will typically cost you around $250 last I checked.) If you are talking about gaming FPS, typically you only gain 1/3 of the OC % in FPS %. (As example, 50 FPS and then heavily OCing your CPU by 30% = (1/3 30% = 10%) * 50 = 55 FPS.)

This system won't see much gaming if any so I'm on the fence as to how much to invest in a graphics card here.

Thinking of the following changes.

PSU $30
    RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817152028

CPU $80
    Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Processor
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0316707

Motherboard $60
    BIOSTAR TA790GXB3 AM3 AMD 790GX ATX AMD Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138163

Memory $70
    G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231253

New total cost = $347

The OS won't add to the cost as I can get windows for free through my university (guess all those technology fees are good for something)

On a side note I'm trying to get a gaming rig together too and keep kicking myself at these CPU deals at fry's I miss, thuban 1055t for $150 missed by 3 days and Phenom II x4 955 for $100 out of stock at the fry's in my state.

Quote Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
    *boggle* Any AMD 6 core CPU should have more than enough power for gaming. I think you'll have to define "lacking" so we can help determine your problem. I highly doubt your CPU is it, and even a heavy OC via liquid cooling will likely only yield a minimal gain. (Particularly considering that a real liquid cooling system will typically cost you around $250 last I checked.) If you are talking about gaming FPS, typically you only gain 1/3 of the OC % in FPS %. (As example, 50 FPS and then heavily OCing your CPU by 30% = (1/3 30% = 10%) * 50 = 55 FPS.)
    Bah I should have proof read that. My cooling is lacking atm. For some reason it just quit yesterday. I swapped jumpers around to be sure it was the fan, but everything worked just fine in different ports. I'm sill not sure what happened. It got unstable enough to cause a BSoD.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    Bah I should have proof read that. My cooling is lacking atm. For some reason it just quit yesterday.
    Eeehhhoo that's much better sounding (not that that is good, just sayin' compared to a six core being underpowered.)

Personally I just do a fancy air cooler. Unless you oc liquid isn't worth it. Even then it's often better to just spend that money on upgrades vs. Liquid.

Quote Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
    Eeehhhoo that's much better sounding (not that that is good, just sayin' compared to a six core being underpowered.)

Personally I just do a fancy air cooler. Unless you oc liquid isn't worth it. Even then it's often better to just spend that money on upgrades vs. Liquid.
    yea well I let a salesman talk me into the V8 cooler. I wanted a liquid system but they only had one is stack and Kitty got that one. Its still acting funny so I may just swap it out. Its definitly a trust thing now. I would rather not have it fail again and have a more expensive repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    PSU $30
    RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817152028
    Looks acceptable, but I'd highly influence you towards spending a touch more if you want a PSU for teh cheap on an OCZ StealthXStream II 700w at $64 post rebate ($84 pre). Or you could go with the Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650w at $90 post rebate (which is quite high atm, usually it's closer to $70 post rebate.)

While they don't look all that difference in terms of power, the amp rating is much more solid on these two. I don't fully understand it, but I think you could describe the amps as cables holding a weight. With these the cables are much stronger, thus they are safer units.

Again, this is the heart of your system. You don't want to go overly cheap here.

+ Reply to Thread