+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: A MMO finally does combat right..

Default A MMO finally does combat right..

While we are stuck with uninspired themeparks , where sheep defend ever mmo and deny that it is a wow clone because it's like... 35% different, Koreans get sandboxes like THIS:

everyone who keeps throwing money at mmos like eso should not be suprsied that he only gets eso in the west.

If you look at any korean mmo you KNOW they do combat and pvp right. What that doesnt translate into is end-game raiding, which is horrible in korean mmos and great in western mmos.
    ~ | Fiskerton | Fiskermage | Fiskerheals | Fiskerbear | ~

I'm a homeless stray of a raider

Ascendant

Ok, so the open-world grindable mobs which don't matter.

Kind of a boring demonstration of the combat and mobility. I'd like to see it tested against a difficult encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiskerton View Post
    If you look at any korean mmo you KNOW they do combat and pvp right. What that doesnt translate into is end-game raiding, which is horrible in korean mmos and great in western mmos.

players in the west keep buying mmos with tearingly boring gameplay,instanced and lifeless zones and graphics from 2-3 generations past.

but they have raiding, aka a gear treadmill that gives them a goal instead of them setting goals for themselves. The problem is that this leads to, like stated above, the lacking of the overall game in its very core, thus the western mmos are self cannibalizing by providing content that quickly surpasses its "best before" date.

the other side of the coin is guild wars, that becomes a "pretty dress-up simulator" once you reach end game, which is equally dull.

I think the game that will hit the "sweet spot" will be a korean one, because they see mmos passionately and provide AAA graphics AND coding, while most western mmos always reset to the year 2005, make mmorpgs with slight or meaningless alterations of existing formulas that are hailed as "OH SO GROUNDBREAKINGLY INNOVATIVE " by western sheep gamers and press.

examples? The path system in wildstar is absolutely always the same and is more of an annoyance than anything. The combat in wildstar gets old very fast and lacks depth.

The combat in eso lacks depth and impact beside countless other issues that are hard to pin down because the game basically has no single feature that another mmo doesn't do much much better.

The "dynamic" content of Rift is not so dynamic since storm legion. Who gets excited for a zone event anymore? The awful balancing execution of conquest, that makes most of the population join and afk it at the last minutes.

and if they happen to have really cool features like artifact hunting or instant adventures, they somehow happen to destroy them/make them unfun in an expansion.

I prefer a concentrated game, that specializes on few things and makes them right instead of a dull "something for everyone" disaster that plays "catching up to wows features" the moment it launches.

I read/watched this little article about the character creation for that game only yesterday, looks really impressive thus far & the above vid only adds to it

http://www.tentonhammer.com/news/bla...acter-creation

It is still way off for NA but it sounds like the Russians will be getting it soon in comparison. Seems like a common trend lately. Definitely have my eyes on it for down the road.
    MMO VAULT (Video Game Music) ➜ https://www.youtube.com/c/VideoGameMusicSoundtrack

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser Phoenix View Post
    players in the west keep buying mmos with tearingly boring gameplay,instanced and lifeless zones and graphics from 2-3 generations past.
    This doesn't matter too much if your goal is simply end-game raiding, which for some people is. It's a textbook case of to each his own.

but they have raiding, aka a gear treadmill that gives them a goal instead of them setting goals for themselves. The problem is that this leads to, like stated above, the lacking of the overall game in its very core, thus the western mmos are self cannibalizing by providing content that quickly surpasses its "best before" date.
    That's simply the nature of end-game raiding. Once you're over that hurdle, you're over that hurdle. But it could be months before you're actually over that hurdle and that's where the fun comes from in end-game raiding. It's progression. That's not for everyone, but then again neither is pvp or flashy graphics. Flashy animations that constantly move you doesn't exactly translate to good boss mechanics. Even now, there are people who can't full clear t1 let alone t2 and they're coming out with t3 soon.

The constant need to come out with new content isn't exactly limited to just end-game raiding in western mmos, or even mmos in general. Hell, even single-player games have expansions and sequels.

the other side of the coin is guild wars, that becomes a "pretty dress-up simulator" once you reach end game, which is equally dull.
    I wouldn't know anything about this. Large scale pvp isn't for me.

I think the game that will hit the "sweet spot" will be a korean one, because they see mmos passionately and provide AAA graphics AND coding, while most western mmos always reset to the year 2005, make mmorpgs with slight or meaningless alterations of existing formulas that are hailed as "OH SO GROUNDBREAKINGLY INNOVATIVE " by western sheep gamers and press.
    some are innovative, some are not. some simply don't work. the same is true for korean mmos. but it's an evolution towards what people want in their definition of a mmo.

the perception of innovation is completely subjective. for example, let's say they discover a new shape of an airplane wing that lets planes fly 5% faster. to some, that's nothing but a minor increase not worth the time to research. to others, that's revolutionary and will cut down on travel times in the long run.

examples? The path system in wildstar is absolutely always the same and is more of an annoyance than anything. The combat in wildstar gets old very fast and lacks depth.
    I can say the same thing about korean mmo combat graphics. There's only so many animations they can fit into one toon and you can bet I can watch through all of them, pick the most efficient one and do it over and over. It'll get old fast.

The combat in eso lacks depth and impact beside countless other issues that are hard to pin down because the game basically has no single feature that another mmo doesn't do much much better.
    If all you want is combat, then by all means go play a korean mmo. ESO is more about the lore. That's what they're best at.

Having multiple focuses is one of the reasons people love mmos. There's always something to do, unlike other genres. That's not to say anything about re-playability though.

The "dynamic" content of Rift is not so dynamic since storm legion. Who gets excited for a zone event anymore? The awful balancing execution of conquest, that makes most of the population join and afk it at the last minutes.

and if they happen to have really cool features like artifact hunting or instant adventures, they somehow happen to destroy them/make them unfun in an expansion.
    That's a fault of Trion, not western mmos in general.

I prefer a concentrated game, that specializes on few things and makes them right instead of a dull "something for everyone" disaster that plays "catching up to wows features" the moment it launches.
    to each their own, but you shouldn't compare every single mmo to wow. that's not a proper measurement of the game's own identity.
    Last edited by Fiskerton; 04-09-2014 at 10:03 AM.
    ~ | Fiskerton | Fiskermage | Fiskerheals | Fiskerbear | ~

I'm a homeless stray of a raider

That's some action. Impact! I really like the third character. This looks much better than ESO for sure.

Plane Touched

A bit too flash, bang, whiz, pow, kaboom for my tastes.

That's why I like TERA. The combat system is kinda cool.
    But the endgame.. oh well.

RIFT content and its game system + TERA graphics + TERA combat system (soul system stays with RIFT) = Gimme.

But yeah, in my experience Korean (and also some Japanese) games are pretty much perfect.
    Problem is if they wanna compete in the West, they get westernised because western companies are ****ing scared of putting money into something that won't reward them. And they kill the game with that. \o/
    Last edited by Yeowang; 04-09-2014 at 10:56 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser Phoenix View Post
    While we are stuck with uninspired themeparks , where sheep defend ever mmo and deny that it is a wow clone because it's like... 35% different, Koreans get sandboxes like THIS:

smack stuff with sword.. roll

yeah.. amazing

we get it you don't like western MMO's. No need to insult the genre and everybody playing it. not your cup of tea? why are you here
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post

tl;dr - Trion should do this: Melee = Turret Ranged > Mobile Ranged

Ascendant

Korean games don't really have good endgames.

When I want a sandbox, I play minecraft.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by Deusveult View Post
    A bit too flash, bang, whiz, pow, kaboom for my tastes.
    I like flash, bang, whiz...

The detailed character creation is interesting.

Still in beta and still no NA publisher. So, for us in the NA is still talk.

Who knows, Trion may pick it up for publishing.
    Let Elrar know you care @

https://twitter.com/GiantApproved

Default Here's another one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U2TCagI6zs#t=36

Not as flashy as the Korean graphics. But exciting pvp!
    Let Elrar know you care @

https://twitter.com/GiantApproved

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast