+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: has the beta NDA on wildstar been lifted yet?

Default has the beta NDA on wildstar been lifted yet?

as above. I'm a little out of the Wildstar loop.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

Yes, NDA was lifted. I have had beta access since September or so and have played maybe one hour total since then. I tried but I just couldn't get into it.
    MMO VAULT (Video Game Music) ➜ https://www.youtube.com/c/VideoGameMusicSoundtrack

lgw

tl;dr: YES!

Long version...

I was sceptical at first as well, but I really found some potential in it. It feels a lot like early Rift, but for the lack of a better word, "righter" in many aspects.

Two BUTs:
    (1) You have to like comic, sci-fi and some oddball humor. For me personally, it just hits home.
    (2) It's action combat. Now being a PVPer at heart, and growing up on FPS where you greeted your buddy with a friendly rocket-to-the-face, it's great. But it's sure not everyone's cup of tea.

Either way, next weekend is another beta weekend. So hit up Twitch, or just go for tube and try to find what you are looking for. Pre-orders have full beta access, but they will certainly throw out a bunch of keys as well, so if you dig for one, you should get one.
    ... aka schoklat. PVP nerd - gaming vet.
    First of slackers, herder of trolls.
    Wildstar PVP inc

Ascendant

yes and what lgw says about it I agree with.

personally I love the humour and the art style, I have never played GW2, Tera or any other games with this type of action combat so I was skeptical but turns out I love it and double jump in an MMO? where have you been all my life?. Imagine being able to double jump Salvarolas beam of death instead of running - thats double jump

I went into the beta determined I wasn't going to buy it - I have my doubts about endgame and the viability of their direction but I ended up pre ordering it

for me the game hits a home run, story and lore - oodles and oodles of it, fun quests and mechanics sprinkled in with the collect x kill y quests
    combat that keeps you on your toes. difficulty in the open world even at low levels. Dungeons that are HARD, even the leveling ones.

Superb animations and a great variety of really different looking races and creatures, zones that are beautiful IF you like the art style and I do
    the player races have good variety and are not just humans with pointy ears short humans tall humans although more customization at character creation would be nice

TLDR: yes I'm a fan, I think it is an extremely well made and immersive game. I can't wait, but the game won't be for everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post

tl;dr - Trion should do this: Melee = Turret Ranged > Mobile Ranged

That crafting though; a beast of its own - highly doubt it'll be everyone's cup of tea.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by ilex011 View Post
    as above. I'm a little out of the Wildstar loop.
    Since pre-orders started.

Quote Originally Posted by Baramos View Post
    Yes, NDA was lifted. I have had beta access since September or so and have played maybe one hour total since then. I tried but I just couldn't get into it.
    The PvP has some promise. I found warrior much more fun to play in PvP. Time to kill is fine but surprise there's too much CC. Stalkers aka rogues have stealth and big burst, who would have guess that's OP. Esper being the only proper caster has cast times so it's less good as damage so I switched to healing but didn't get much time to try it properly.

I really love their lore and humor. I'm not one for lore normally, but it was implemented incredibley well. I love the crafting and normally I don't like crafting, I like the combat, I like the animations (Chua have the best animations) arena is great, you get practice aenas starting at level 30. Warplots are like PvP dimensions, there's just a lot going for it.

It reminds me a lot of how rift was in beta and how awesome that was. Hopefully they don't go the same route as rift.

Things I don't like, its not going to be very friendly for casual players who want to experience end game. I love the PvP but... It's slightly cluster**** if you don't avoid the zergs. Small scale and 1v1 fights are awesome.

Default ok thanks

I, like Baramos, was in a closed beta and only played for a couple/few hours before logging off and ignoring the rest of my subsequent invites.

The humor is cute, but I ended up liking the promo vids a lot more to the actual game. WS is like a cross between Pixar and Joss Whedon. I like both of those separately but together, just no. The art style is very distinctive and cartoony which I don't like (the cartoony part I mean), but it's done very well. So is the lore, as mentioned. The NPCs are always around doing their own thing, which was cool. Their responses were varied and they seemed to have personality.

That one jumping quest where you're in the artifact storage room... grrrrrrr. So much hate for that damn quest. The one I DID love is where you are saving the poor veggies and they follow you around to the safe area. Adorbs. I giggled. Don't think I could handle a game with that much cuteness overdrive overall though.

I found the mechanics clunky and the ground effects way too cluttered.

I like the subpath options (I chose Scientist, heh, but never got far enough to really use it).

In all, it just seemed to *me* personally to be a bit gimmicky and not my cup of tea. Also, what I expressed up there are purely what *I* don't like in a game and of course as follows, those things may not bother other people. Game seems to be well-done and the devs seem passionate about their creations which is cool, but I can't see myself playing it. (Or ESO either, for that matter. Hell, I'm still trying to chop enough wood to build a sporking house in Skyrim )

I really only have time/funds for one MMO at a time, so I won't be leaving Rift anytime soon. Though I do play Trove now and will definitely be playing ArcheAge, Rift will still be my main MMO.

For those that liked WS, enjoy! I do wish them success as long as it doesn't interfere with Rift, haha.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

Have been playing in closed beta for last few months and already pre ordered. The combat and gameplay are very smooth with no lag at all.

Has all the features already that most mmo's never implement even years after being out. The amount of customization you can put in is amazing.

The crafting has alot of depth which for me is a plus same as with the overall style, very animated and very detailed with an enormous full open world.

Can understand the graphics are not for everyone but looking at a screenshot or video and actually being in the game are two very different things.

Thanks for the heads up about the beta weekend. Going to try it out.
    <Coriolis>
    Archemys

Quote Originally Posted by AceinHole View Post
    Oh well, Haters gon' hate.
    Meh, if I was hating I wouldn't have sugarcoated my response. I can play the role of hater as well though, so here we go. Most games when you play them for the first time have a nice fresh and shiny feel to them and it is easy to get suckered in until you realize that it is just a polished turd months later. If a new game can't even pull me in while wearing new game blinders, there is no chance that I would want to play it long term or even waste a few months with it as a filler game.

You can take cartoon graphics like something you would see from the mid 2000s, add a million ground telegraphs and wrap a nice bow around it but in the end, you still just have a turd. I understand that companies go that route with art so more people can play and so the graphics won't look outdated so fast as new technology comes out, but to many it already looks outdated. I am one of the players that will always value gameplay over graphics, but I hate the gameplay as well.

The NPCs and humor aspect were brilliant, but that isn't why I play games.

/flush
    MMO VAULT (Video Game Music) ➜ https://www.youtube.com/c/VideoGameMusicSoundtrack

Wildstar is certainly not a bad game, but its basically a jump and run X "safety dance: the game" online. Even the best jump and run with the craziest sillyness can not be played long term like an mmo.

The games primary lacking point is depth in its combat. sure, you can double jump and stuff, but you are essentially putting more effort for less reward here. I am not seeing returns like with Dota 2 skillshots for instance (which might be too much, but the current return is way too low). Imagine having skills do 50-60% less damage in rift and you having to press every auto attack while all your attacks radiate a flashy telegraph.....

That's not deep and innovative for me....

Positioning and tactics seem very downplayed in pvp, because it essentially becomes a cluster*uck zerg fest with its aoe spam. Everyone is spamming "cone of cold". In other mmos, you get rewarded in pvp for timing your aoes right and punished for doing them wrong, and you can position yourself awesomely, so many peasants fail to notice you. This is not really possible in wildstar.

Another gripe with combat are the skills. You can not customize them in a meaningful, unique way, and the illusion of choice is not even existant. Also, you do not have rotations in the classical sense, or are able to use the skills in an "awesome , satisfying way". Nothing to spice it up, no procs from a spell that make another instant or turn you into a demon or the like....

The questing is also quite boring, and pretty much like storm legions questing, tuned for efficiency meaning way too stretched and prolonged to keep the locusts and 5+ hours a day nerds busy, instead of being a decent and fun leveling experience.

It has nice graphics and animations, good communitx relations during the beta, a worked out content schedule for atleast 1+ year, endgame focus, fluid movement, addon support from early beta and a distinctive visual design.

it's just that the core gameplay (combat and questing) get way too repetetive after 20 levels, and there is no "drive" to push you (like an awesome new ability completely changes how you play)

Questing is dull, which is probably the biggest hit on the game. Even still, the further you progress, the game opens up other viable ways to level.

PVP has very good depth for a game just setting up to launch, and it's certainly in a better state and more skillful than RIFT has been at any point. Zerg PVP isn't anywhere near the problem it is in RIFT, and while class balance isn't perfect, it's in a very respectable place 2 months from launch.

The combat system is the make or break feature, and it's unsurprising that people don't get it, given how it strays from the standard. Dodging and proper positioning is important even at the low end questing side of things, where it can mean a quest mob your level killing you, and feels very rewarding. Even though most abilities essentially have a cleave area of effect, there are still defined ST and AoE focused abilities that make a real difference in damage output if used in the wrong context. In PVP, it does take time to adjust to the urge to dodge everything and start dodging only the things that matter.

The ability tier'ing system is excellent, and comprises the best part of talenting systems (improving specific abilities) while the AMP system handles a lot of the +stat stuff that comprises the rest of talent trees, giving you a lot of ability for customization. Especially enjoyable is that ability tier'ing and ability sets can be managed on the fly any time out of combat, allowing for a lot of adaptation between pulls or pvp respawns.

What took me most by surprise though was crafting. There is a good amount of depth to actually crafting items, and harvesting is engaging and enjoyable due to the relatively common random occurrences that can occur when harvesting.

As someone who started playing RIFT at launch, the only feature Wildstar doesn't do noticeably better than both launch and present day RIFT is questing (they're about on par), and out of the box UI customization (although that is supposed to be fixed soon).
    Last edited by Leif; 04-04-2014 at 08:45 PM.
    Waiting for Wildstar...

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser Phoenix View Post
    Another gripe with combat are the skills. You can not customize them in a meaningful, unique way, and the illusion of choice is not even existant. Also, you do not have rotations in the classical sense, or are able to use the skills in an "awesome , satisfying way". Nothing to spice it up, no procs from a spell that make another instant or turn you into a demon or the like....
    your comment on combat make me wonder if you just missed how stuns, interrupts etc work with moments of opportunity, how some abilities work together and if you even looked at the skills available and the ability teirs

to each their own though some will love it some will hate it. Everyone will have an opinion on how it should have been done

servers should be back up after a quick restart back I go
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post

tl;dr - Trion should do this: Melee = Turret Ranged > Mobile Ranged

The good news is that you guys are stuck with me still, tried Wildstar, not my cup of tea, have to agree with a lot of the comments here but it's just the graphics struck me as a bit 'garish', movement annoyed me no end, this constant 'loping' side to side motion as i ran along.

That might have been the race and class i chose as i went "Mordesh Exile Scientist Engineer"

On the other hand, i did only reach level 5 and completed all the first zone after the Ark so might jump in again, but at the moment not too pushed

has the beta NDA on wildstar been lifted yet?-slipmat.140330.110619.jpg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast