+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: They'll never make an MMO with a single server for all players...

Default They'll never make an MMO with a single server for all players...

To all the people who laughed at me when Rift launched and I brought up the concept of a single server housing all players... take a look at ESO and suck it up! The last laugh is on you ;)

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyThump View Post
    take a look at ESO and suck it up! The last laugh is on you
    Which part, the broken quests due to the phasing ?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Which part, the broken quests due to the phasing ?
    This!

Yes, there's one server per region .. and trying to get to play with a friend is an exercise in frustration doomed for many to fail.

WOW's phasing showed how player-hostile that tech. can be, when you often couldn't 'group up' to help friends out because you weren't in the same phase as them, or take Bree in LOTRO where phasing means you don't see everyone, or overflow in GW2 .. or several other variations of 'phasing' .. take that and multiply it by orders of magnitude to see the effect we're seeing in ESO.

I like the game a lot, though it's your typical bugged-to-hell initial release of an MMO, and playing on my own is great fun, but the moment I want to link up with friends or guildies it turns sour.

If/when "Travel To Player" works RELIABLY then the frustration level will abate somewhat, but right now it's a royal mess and even if it gets 'fixed' it's still far inferior to a game world where everyone can see everyone else in the locale.

So, let me fix your thread title:

No one with common sense will ever make an MMO with a single server for all players...
    Oh, one more thing .. ESO has no AH.
    Last edited by Kerin; 04-02-2014 at 03:10 AM.

Because shard-jumping on Rift has never ever happened before.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

To all the people who laughed at me when Rift launched and I brought up the concept of a single server housing all players... take a look at ESO and suck it up! The last laugh is on you ;)
    Except technically it's still not one server. It's bound to be multiple pieces of hardware (servers), and multiple processes hosting phases (servers). So yeah, while it may be available under a single name, it's still very much not a single server.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerin View Post
    This!

I know and that sucks!! And the Herbal nodes are so rare, it will take forever to level alchemy. I love all the TES games, but playing the ESO beta sort of turned me away from that MMO. I rather spent the 60 bucks that the game costs on Rift and buy more dim items LOL
    Last edited by Agrona77; 04-02-2014 at 04:15 AM.

Sword of Telara

Erm, EVE has a single server, TSW has a single server .... hardly new or innovative .

I dunno I'm kinda liking the no auction house. Hawking my wares in Town brought back a bit of nostalgia about the Commonland tunnels. I've noticed a few phasing bugs but nothing a quick log in/out hasn't fixed.

To my knowledge, EVE is a "true" single server system. Yes, it's a server farm set up on clusters but everyone (all 80k+ concurrent users) are in the same "instance" if you will. TSW separates people. They may be on the same server but they're in mirrors of the same zones. EVE on the other hand... only has 1 instance of any location. There is only 1 Jita, 1 Luminaire and so on.

But yes, this has been live in Eve since what? 2005 or so? It launched with 2 servers but the 2nd server was quickly scrapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerin View Post
    No AH and the worst UI I've seen in 10 years....

regardign teso, the game went from "kinda decent, i think it will get pretty cool later on" on the first beta weekend

to

"jeez, i am bored to tears and the games world feels so demystified. the combat animations are indie at best and combat lacks impact overall."

And i feel so immersed being the "only hope for a village" when I see people forming a sprinting snake and my progress on quests being skipped to the next part because 5 other people just triggered it 1 min ago, atleast it was like that during the weekend "betas".

yeah, i'll pass on it even as a F2p game.

I had the impression that the "AH" or a form of it like trading or shops is set up by the Guilds that controls a Keep in Cyrodil ?

Or something to that effect, only played three Beta weekends which was enough to show me it wasn't for me, i'll get my Elder Scrolls fix from Skyrim, still have 100's of hours to wade through on that, but good luck to anyone tempted by the new shiny

Quote Originally Posted by ilex011 View Post
    Because shard-jumping on Rift has never ever happened before.
    When did you ever jump shards... aren't you a fae4lyfe?

Ascendant

There are many instances. If we were all on the same servers then by my calculations the entire EU mega server is only a few hundred people.

Single server tech does not equal mirrored instancing. All you have that is congruent is a chat server allowing communication (Battle.Net does this already). That is what you're getting when you're talking about such things. It isn't a single server or a single seamless instance. It's Newbie Zone (1), Newbie Zone (181), Newbie Zone (354) and so on. Same mirrored content. Star Trek Online, TSW and Age of Conan use this server architecture.

EVE and other single server games are also multiple servers clustered together. The difference is that the game world is spread seamlessly across those clusters. One bank of servers may provide processing for one region of the game world while another bank supports other areas. The main difference though is that there's only ever 1 Newbie Zone with no mirrors. If you meet a friend and he says, "Hey, I'm in Jita! Come see my new ship!" There is only 1 Jita and you know where to go to meet him... when you get there he'll be in that sector and not in Jita (154) while you might find yourself in Jita (8). World of Warcraft and Rift uses a similar architecture to this on their multiple independent servers.

The difference between EVE and Rift is that EVE's infrastructure is absolutely massive (and is often heralded as one of the most complex and groundbreaking IT infrastructures in the gaming industry). Some companies blow money on marketing and other projects while others sink all of their capital back into future proofing their business model.
    Last edited by Laeris; 04-03-2014 at 02:01 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast