+ Reply to Thread

Thread: For those who you use guild hosting (Guild Launch)

Soulwalker

Default For those who you use guild hosting (Guild Launch)

Some of you have guilds. I posted in the Guild forum and got no replies so I'll post here.

For those who have made your own guild websites, if you chose Guild Launch, why did you prefer Guild Launch as your preferred choice in hosting your guild website? If you don't use Guild Launch and use another service, why did you choose the other service?

What's the biggest difference between Guild Launch and other services?

Soulwalker

No replies? I know a lot of people in Rift use guild websites ;)

For the same reason Ts3 is preferred, It's more common, People already have accounts there & simple and easy to use
    Primalist of
    <The Phantom Troupe>

8/8, like that even matters anymore..

Soulwalker

My guild switched from GuildLaunch to EQDKP+,because you more possibilities. Also you are not bound to advertisment.

Also as User - not the admin - of the GuildLaunch page, it just felt not really user-friendly designed in terms of navigation.

The last thing is that you can import your raids semi-automatically with EQDKP+, which is a nice feature.
    Last edited by Schalla; 04-03-2014 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by windrider07 View Post
    Some of you have guilds. I posted in the Guild forum and got no replies so I'll post here.

For those who have made your own guild websites, if you chose Guild Launch, why did you prefer Guild Launch as your preferred choice in hosting your guild website? If you don't use Guild Launch and use another service, why did you choose the other service?

What's the biggest difference between Guild Launch and other services?
    Guild Launch was the only one offering Rift-compatibility in large scale when we started using it, that's pretty much it. Without using the rapid raid + local storage, there is really no reason to have a GL website, so if you are not going to use those, I suggest looking for another options.

Also, GL customer support and recent changes to services leave a lot to wish for (WYSIWYG editor is horrible, search still broken after 6 weeks, etc...).

We started out on GuildLaunch 3 years ago, i honestly don't remember why we switched, but it was about 6 months in that we switched GuildPortal, they probably just had some more features that we liked at the time. They were ok for a while, but it was basically run by two people from their basement, things started breaking, and there was zero support, after a few months of it being extremely broken, with no answers to support tickets, or updates to any of their news pages besides tons of people having issues, we switched again. Been using Enjin for about a year now, haven't had any major issues, and any support tickets i've put in have been answered pretty quick. We couldn't be happier
    Soulraiser - 60 Cleric // Soulslayer - 60 Warrior // Soulshadow 60 Mage
    Faeblight NA
    http://www.dargaardknights.com
    Visit our recruiting thread HERE

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Stopped using this service 4 years ago because you can loose all your posts/info/set up should their be a major crash Guild Launch did not have a backup file system unlike such companies like Enjin at the time.

Soulwalker

I'm guessing my thread was moved to Off Topic?

Anyways, wow....thanks guys for all of the feedback. This was literally the best amount of feedback I ever got.

If anyone has different experiences, post it up

With a fairly low annual cost, with guildlaunch you can get a site that is advertising free, a custom URL and full administrative control over the site (right down to custom modules, layout, ability to use your own source code and so on).

That's why we chose that one for our site back in the day. We didn't use TS3 because the voice quality is utterly terrible compared to the latest iterations of Ventrilo and Mumble (provided the vent server is confiugured for high end codecs... which mine is ).

It all boils down to intended use and what you're willing to pay. TS3 is more a budget program with lower latency used mainly for FPS gaming (as is mumble). Mumble is also very configurable and can be ramped up in quality but it is more difficult to configure for the average user. Ventrilo is a mix between the two with a fairly simple to use system. Good latency, great quality... easy to use. I want my 3rd party apps to work and stay out of my way. That's why I use ventrilo.

The same can be said for guildlaunch.com. It is a hosting site that lets me do my thing and be able to not have ads spam my visitors. It provides a nice library of pregenerated modules (widgets) that will work for most guild leaders. Then, there's also the nice ability to totally trash the entire guild launch content and host your own site there instead. Price wise, at the time when we got it last year it was one of the cheaper options. It's cheaper though for a reason: That reason is that guild launch is not over-engineered and is more for web admins who know what they're doing. This is so that you can customize it freely without it getting in your way. Some other hosting sites force you into layouts or widgets that cannot be turned off... and some don't let you create fully custom content. Those are more expensive but also cater to mostly beginner users.

+ Reply to Thread