+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Magic The Gathering & Rift

Default Magic The Gathering & Rift

Is is just or does rift seem more like Magic: The Gathering? Just been comparing some of the Magic The Gathering Artwork to thttp://forums.riftgame.com/asset.php?fid=14881&uid=10307496&d=1394348512his..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magic The Gathering & Rift-1920-1080-354052.jpg  

The fantasy artwork looks similar to countless other pieces of fantasy artwork. You can see whatever you want to see in it.

You mean Rift is a fantasy game?!?!?

Just forming an opinion; Path Of Exile was based on Magic:The Gathering.. also F2P turned out to be a great game too. I reckon Rift has those characteristics too
    Last edited by destinyhero; 03-09-2014 at 02:41 AM. Reason: (took off a symbol)

Huh?

No seriously. This is a generic fantasy art thing. You'll find dozens of other properties with similar styles.

i will use this thread to start a comparison between the 2 art styles of eq and next

http://tagn.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/eqnsplash.jpg

vs the original

http://tagn.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/eqboxart.jpg

am I the only one finding the original 100x better?
    Last edited by Kaiser Phoenix; 03-09-2014 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser Phoenix View Post
    i will use this thread to start a comparison between the 2 art styles of eq and next

vs the original

After seeing that comparison, I'm not sure whether I should laugh or sadface..

It looks like the art sold itself out on the mindset of "If we make it look more like WoW, people will like it.", rather than holding true to its tabletop RPG roots.

The linked artwork in particular was from the expantion block called Zendikar, which was based off of a world more along the lines of Dungeons and Dragons, with explorers and dungeons, elves and dwarves and whatnot. So yeah, that's probably why it looks more closely to your average MMO things.

If you compare it to other sets, like Innistrad, which was more horror themed, or the current block, which is more Ancient Greece themed, you probably wouldn't see as close a resemblance to your everyday MMO.

But as people have pointed out, fantasy game and fantasy art will have similar points.
    "In the land of the terribles, the mediocre is king."

Quote Originally Posted by Azchire View Post
    After seeing that comparison, I'm not sure whether I should laugh or sadface..

It looks like the art sold itself out on the mindset of "If we make it look more like WoW, people will like it.", rather than holding true to its tabletop RPG roots.
    That's EXACTLY what I was thinking as I flipped between the two. I've seen a lot the other art representing EQ:Next and that's the overall impression.

"Hello lowest common denominator, what can we do for YOU today?"

When I heard about EQ's newest project a few years back, and more recently about the world building aspect of it, I had in mind the artwork and screens from pre-EQ2 launch. I was really involved with promotion of the game, helped with one of the fansites, etc., for almost 2 years before the game actually launched. Played the game for several years post-launch, too. So imagine my disappointment (so far) with what I'm seeing now...and while I haven't written it off (how could I? I even tried WoW for a while, and there are parts of it I like), but my expectations are low.

As for the Rift vs. MtG comparison: Even though MtG DID have its own lore and dedicated storyline, I've always viewed it as a generality of many different genres of fantasy. That doesn't mean I think it's a bad thing. I absolutely LOVED the game, spent way too much money on it, played in tournaments...even read some of the books based on the game. And because of the generality, I (like others have already said) think you can look at almost any fantasy MMOG and see some similarities.

There are seemingly countless examples in fantasy, MMOGs, TCGs, and beyond, that use the elements as a basis for magic, just to start! As far as artwork goes, even work by one of my favorites like Keith Parkinson (gone way before his time) can be applied to many different fantasy games.

http://www.keithparkinson.com/bio.php

Sword of Telara

vs the original

Not so much better, just different styles, they're both fairly good pieces of art work, but they're very different styles, it's more a preference thing than a quality thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Asharoth View Post
    Not so much better, just different styles, they're both fairly good pieces of art work, but they're very different styles, it's more a preference thing than a quality thing.
    absolutely not.

Everquest next artwork: the characters seem "pasted" into the world. the do not really have a "firmness" with the environment.

atleast 3 characters look into blank space

the picture feels awfully claustrophobic

the woman ( between the giant dragon and the small lizard warrior) will trip over the dragons tail because her stance makes no practical sense and her hammer will get stuck.

firiona vee is butt ugly

firionas weapons are way too big and cartoony

the clothing with its shoulderpads and firionas huge bracers and diadem seem to be too inspired from wow

the art style itself is too similar to world of warcraft

eq classic artwork:

with its extreme realism, the artwork seems almost alive

extreme detail

perfect use of colors

the women are well proportioned and beautiful

the clothes also are superior in every way

the action is not in a single level, but in the background as well.

firiona is directly looking at you (and extremely charming while doing so)

etc. etc.

vs the original

No. No you are not the only one.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

This is something I did in my spare time eons ago, one of the remnants from my adolescence, during the time when I lived and breathed the MTG CCG.

Attachment 17615

Quote Originally Posted by Narcoth View Post
    This is something I did in my spare time eons ago, one of the remnants from my adolescence, during the time when I lived and breathed the MTG CCG.

Attachment 17615
    You are so much braver than me. I know some pictures, drawings, and likely some other bit of damning paraphernalia exist of me back in the early to mid '90s of me involved in all things MTG...but I wouldn't dare post anything online! I'm simply not photogenic and I'm so critic of my own work that I never completed an art degree.

Your drawing definitely brought back memories of impatiently waiting for my turn to have my butt kicked at tournaments!

@Kaiser: Spot on with the comparison. Firiona Vie looks like she's got a mental disorder...one where she lacks a brain (perhaps someone put a cantaloupe inside her skull instead). I have NO idea how *anyone* in their 'art' department today thinks that would appeal to anyone of the age of 10...is that to be their target audience?

While both Magic: The Gathering, and Rift have a very general high fantasy style, making it difficult to draw clear parallels between the two, there is a common theme that the two worlds definitely share.

Both Rift and MTG have a theme quite centralized around transit between universes (planes). Also, both games share an emphasis color/elemental themes. MTG's 5-point "color wheel" of elemental magic can be very easily compared to Rift's 6 elemental planes.

Any of you familiar with the lore of "Planeswalkers" in MTG, might note that some characters (I speculate) in Rift have markedly similar characteristics. I can very easily see Orphiel Farwind as a MTG Planeswalker, and I don't think it'd be a stretch to see Ascended in general eventually meet the criteria for the title.

I can very easily see MTG and Rift existing in the same multiverse, and sometime's it's very exciting to imagine that being true, even if it'd never be "official". Rift's multiverse could turn out to be nigh-identical to MTG's.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast