+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: WoW Vs Rift

Default WoW Vs Rift

What are the advantages over this game compared to WoW? So far I like it but want to learn more of these advantages such as wardrobe, rifts, instant adventure etc...

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by destinyhero View Post
    What are the advantages over this game compared to WoW? .
    It's not WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post

tl;dr - Trion should do this: Melee = Turret Ranged > Mobile Ranged

Rift Master

$15/month and a talent tree.

Really?

That's a very biased question. Not only that this is the RIFT forum, so people here might rather like RIFT over WoW, but their questions will probably mostly consist of "everything, WoW sucks", which is not a constructive answer, which is what you are looking for.

Or, of course, some RIFT hater will come along and bash it, but glorify WoW.

Edit: Fixed some stupid grammar mistake.
    Last edited by Yeowang; 03-02-2014 at 12:20 AM.

WoW

Pro: GREAT storytelling. caveat: they've had 10 years to build it and a preceding franchise. They *better* have good storytelling out of that!

Con: Unfortunately, much of the game takes place in books and you will never see it on Live. Or if you do, it's highly truncated. Plotlines just tend to magically disappear, as do major NPCs on occasion.
    Notoriously retcon-happy.

Rift

Pro: Good storytelling, with resolution/carryover to plotlines. Pretty damn good for a 3 year old game without an RTS behind it. They don't retcon, they rescale so many different skills of players can enjoy content. We have chronicles. These are one or two person "raids" designed to give the lore to folks who cannot raid, so they can keep up with the story.

Con: Some have complained that the storylines are too dry and the NPCs lack background.

WoW

Farmville! Now soon to be Barracksville!

Rift

Dimensions. Enough said.

WoW

Sure you can change your look via transmog- but it will cost you every time you do, and you are limited by your class.

RIFT

Wardrobe to your heart's desire.

WoW

Leveling- Hello, Westfall and PvP.

Rift

Leveling- Hello Instant Adventures, Rift groups, zone events, PvP, Great Hunts, Carnages

WoW

...is there a dev somewhere...? Anywhere?

Rift

Our devs are on the forum constantly. I sometimes wonder if they are mashochists. yeah I spelled it incorrectly; my glass of wine tells me I don't care. They also PvP with us.

WoW

Pro: Hunters can tame damn near ANYTHING. And sometimes tank effectively too.

Rift

Con: Our hunters don't tame at all. We get a pig, a raptor, and a dire wolf. New skins to choose from, though.

WoW

Azeroth really isn't all that dangerous to walk around in. You can always fly above, but what's the fun in that? Even if you don't have a flying mount (which Blizz said they regretted implementing), you can stick to the roads and be mostly fine. (I miss the old Duskwood )

Rift

Hide yo' kids, hide yo' wife, hide yo' low level guildies because Telara is *dangerous.* When an invasion happens, you better hide yo' quest giver and port master because they are going down too. (I LOVE THIS!) Doesn't matter if you stick to the roads- monsters and mobs WILL cross your path.
    This game was not designed for flying mounts (thank gods), so either hide, or join up with very large numbers of people unified in taking the bastards down.

WoW

Crafting- You have engineering. You can make mounts and other cool stuff. I was an engineer. One of the things about the game I vaguely miss.

Rift

Crafting- We have no engineering. Odd, considering the Defiants are all steampunky. Our crafting could be fleshed out more with the kinds of stuff to make- hovering carpets for outfitters a la Cyclone (not the 1st game to have hovering carpets, peeps). But in full disclosure I'd love to see an SWG type crafting system but neither game is set for that. We do have Dreamweaving now, which gives effects in Dimensions as well as crafting a "free" stat orb, so to speak.

WoW

Extracurricular, not counting Moon Guard- well, you can forage, farm, mine, fish. Play Pokewow. Loremaster, which I was a part of ONE freaking continent away from having until Cata came and they added addons which I did not use.

Rift

SO SO SO MANY ACHEIVMENTS (hush glass of wine) for so many different things to do. Hunt rares on each zone, get rewards.Tons of titles that are hard to earn. Collect sets of artifacts for titles and dimensions. Lots of puzzles in the game. You get a title for them.

It's hard to compare because WoW is straight linear, and while Rift is that way too, it's 2/3 themepark and 1/3 sandbox.

WoW

Talent Trees- minimal. Limited roles of 2, except for Feral which I think has 3.

Rift

Talent Trees- Good GOD the combinations! 7 roles max.

Rift

Free. Pay for the Storm Legion souls, and whatever else cosmetic stuff you want. You can play the entire game, every raid, every single thing with your friends for free, without cash shop ads in your face. It's a little shopping card on the left.

Hope that helps some.
    Last edited by ilex011; 03-02-2014 at 01:36 AM.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

I am playing both, switching to other when i am bored.. so WoW=RIFT

but,

WoW community > RIFT community
    Eravena@Bloodiron
    Fivona/Niovin/Sunriel@Zaviel

Rift has less bratty kids.

You don't have to do LFR to gear up.

That's a pretty big positive for Rift.
    Nope.

Rift Chaser

Rift pvp is crap.

overall:
    wow > rift

cons:
    f2p>p2p

conclussion:
    play rift until archeage(f2p) goes out or wildstar(wow on heavy steroids - p2p)

eso is crap, eqnext is gw2 clone.

Shield of Telara

Rift pvp is fun and more additions are coming.

overall:
    riift > wow

conclussion:
    play rift

Telaran

Rift is f2p with very minimal p2w.

Wow: Flying Mounts
    Rift: .....ok you won.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Fivona View Post
    I am playing both, switching to other when i am bored.. so WoW=RIFT

but,

WoW community > RIFT community
    WoW has an awful community...it is only trumped by the MOBA game's awful communities.

Quote Originally Posted by dalthium View Post
    WoW has an awful community...it is only trumped by the MOBA game's awful communities.
    Ohh yes, its the newcomers Player unfriendlyst game EVER... if you ask you never get any real answer and in Dungeons anyone have to know everything because you have to be a twink..WoW is crap,for 2-3 years it was good but know its destroyed. Hopefully they will be a new MMORPG like WoW soon.

Quote Originally Posted by destinyhero View Post
    What are the advantages over this game compared to WoW? So far I like it but want to learn more of these advantages such as wardrobe, rifts, instant adventure etc...
    I only play rogue class in both games so my experience is incomplete:
    • PRO: Gearing for PvP in Rift is a controllable time-investment process. There are no arena ratings required for the top gear as WoW requires. Depending on how much time you want to invest is how long it will take to reach your gear goals. Fun process.
      CON: The lifespan of PvP gear is unpredictable. Trion regularly implements gear grinds for no apparent reason. Not a fun process. In contrast, WoW upgrades gear on a predictable "arena season" system with PvP rewards at the end of the previous season. Pick your poison.
    • PRO: The combat macro system is very easy in Rift. It's been a while since I played WoW, but one of the first things I noticed about Rift was the ease of macroing commands.
      CON: The macro organization system is primitive. You can't drag them, they're not separated by role, it's like a pot full of macros. Seems like I remember WoW macros being easier to organize.
    • PRO: Travel in Rift is on the ground or by teleporters. The potential for world PvP is high. Contrast this with WoW where players can avoid world PvP by flying to any point and flying away from combat.
      CON: No incredible flying mounts like WoW has. Plus there's little to no world PvP anymore. Trion shut down the RP-PvP server, where there were reasons to be out and about doing stuff and fighting. There's no engaging reason to world PvP, no PvP zones on PvE servers, there's barely any world PvP on the remaining PvP server. In contrast WoW has RP-PvP servers with longstanding RP grudges between players and guilds.
    • PRO: Combat consumables are easier to make and use in Rift. PvP consumables last 4 hours. Farming mats is a predictable process and you can buy extra crafting slots so you don't need an army of alts to make them. Contrast this with WoW where you have to put your weapon away to take a consumable (or you did when I played) and need alts to make everything.
      CON: If you're against combat consumables or don't want to learn trade skills or farm currency to buy them then you won't like it.
    • PRO: The roles and talent tree combination system enables all kinds of options. You can make your character into pretty much whatever you want and change it at will. You can buy extra role slots. You can respec at very low cost compared to WoW.
    • PRO: Server transfers are completely free. If I remember right, WoW charges something like $25 to change servers. You can even visit and play on other servers without transferring to them.
    • PRO: The wardrobe and weapon transmutation system. You can pretty much design an outfit and dye it whatever color combinations you want and show that outfit regardless of what gear you're actually wearing.
    • PRO: Faction appearance. You can change factions, change what faction you look like.
      CON: WoW has better conflict between factions.
    • PRO: The Rift ignore list appears to be infinite size.
      CON: It needs to be.
    Last edited by LeCreaux; 03-02-2014 at 03:21 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast