+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A little discouraged, so...

Default A little discouraged, so...

First, as most of you know I'm not a fan of the direction the supposed MMORPG genre seems to be heading. Maybe we should just stop calling it MMORPG and start calling it SGOG (small group online game).

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone feels there will ever be another MMORPG that actually is a Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game? With large groups of people workig together in a coordinated way to defeat powerful monsters/gods in a persistant world?

*group hug for Kula*

I've come to terms with MMOs...its a business more than anything. If business allows for it then sure but I do not see it happening. The closest thing is just be guilded and let your guildies make the mmo for you but then again there's always limits with that.

#retiredBear #teamBBCs #puffForeverMad

Quote Originally Posted by Kula View Post
    First, as most of you know I'm not a fan of the direction the supposed MMORPG genre seems to be heading. Maybe we should just stop calling it MMORPG and start calling it SGOG (small group online game).

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone feels there will ever be another MMORPG that actually is a Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game? With large groups of people workig together in a coordinated way to defeat powerful monsters/gods in a persistant world?
    As I've said before, I think if such a thing happens, it will come from a smaller developer. So expect that it may not have the graphical fidelity or userbase you're used to. But those that play will be like-minded individuals, so the community should be rather strong.

As to what game this is? No clue currently.

Most MMO forums wars are over the Game vs World divide. Which side are you on?

I feel the same Kula.

I hope that eventually the current trend reverses and we see games with "RPG" aspects in them again.

MMOs now are little more than console games for the PC.
    Dual Targeting - The Targeting System of the Modern MMO

If the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was made by today's MMO designers, the first 8 hours would be condensed into 30 minutes, and the last hour would be stretched out over 8.5 hours. It would be all about 'The Ending' and not about 'The Journey'.

There is a massive ammount of people playing online at the same time, so guess MMO still fits. Although you mostly still work in smaller groups in-game .

I really miss the 72 player raids in EQ. Or the 300 people zergs when Nagafen first died. Today its too few people who are needed to achieve such things.

I don't think they've put a limit on how many can fight a rift. So those big numbers could be possible.

i hope so, i miss the 40 man raids in wow too, they always cut the raiding group in 20 or 25, but that 40 man group was awesome, i alwais loved AQ40 =)
    i speack not english good you tell me when wrong i am ! [JK!]
    Waiting for the king of the mmorpg's ...
    -Dnz

Quote Originally Posted by Denzen View Post
    i hope so, i miss the 40 man raids in wow too, they always cut the raiding group in 20 or 25, but that 40 man group was awesome, i alwais loved AQ40 =)
    I've done 200 vs 200 vs 200 in the old days of DAoC. Remember great 3 way battles near AMG in Emain. They can still happen but now we organize Zerg nights on the server forums. Couple months ago we had ~150 Albs vs ~80 Hibs vs ~60 Mids in one zone. On the PvE side, last night we had 53 Albs kill the dragon. DAoC allows the players decide how many should be raiding. I'm not a big fan of calling 2 groups a "raid".
    Mac

Prophet of Telara

Wasn't EQ a group-centric game? So I guess that kind of throws out the idea that games are heading in the direction of just small groups.

I always actually thought that grouping in EQ was more of a focus than raiding and I certainly don't feel that Trion are negating groups or raids for Rift.

I do feel that the massively has somewhat left MMOs but it's more a case that any social activities are being panned in favour of solo activities. I'd happily see a SGOG if it meant I could be almost always in groups and not soloing.

In closing I have a lot of hope for the social side of Rift. I think Trion are actively looking to make working together popular. If they can bring together all those people jumping in to rift events as a solo adventurer than they'll have done a wonder.
    We Were The Defiant

Then Rift went Trivial and Dull

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Slyde View Post
    I feel the same Kula.

I hope that eventually the current trend reverses and we see games with "RPG" aspects in them again.

MMOs now are little more than console games for the PC.
    With all due respect Slyde, I don't think you'll ever be happy with what Rift does.

I hope you enjoy the game when it comes around, because I have this feeling Trion are going to surprise a few people.

I'll also add that if you join in then you make a social game. If you sit back, whining and complaining, then you ain't. No disrespect.
    We Were The Defiant

Then Rift went Trivial and Dull

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    I don't think they've put a limit on how many can fight a rift. So those big numbers could be possible.
    I am hoping for this as well.. Having 100 Defiants helping Death rift take over the Guardian city would be awsome, BUT what would be even better if there were 200 Guardians tryign to stop the invasion... *Drools*
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakgo View Post
    I really miss the 72 player raids in EQ. Or the 300 people zergs when Nagafen first died. Today its too few people who are needed to achieve such things.
    Me too. =(

+ Reply to Thread