+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Not a list we really want to be on...

Default Not a list we really want to be on...

This is obviously just an opinion piece, and who cares... BUT....

This is once again NOT the type of publicity that Trion needs. It's frustrating to see this kind of thing, and at the same time see so little real solid hype-generating GOOD info coming from Trion. At some point, waiting to start hyping the game digs you a hole you can't get out of.

#5 on the list.

http://kotaku.com/5657970/10-games-b...hat-are-doomed
    "Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

forums - Fozzik's Hardware
    blog - The Last Bastion

the line "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" comes to mind
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1282&dateline=1279040  725

Well, I would agree...except the author is speaking directly to the "don't reinvent the wheel" strategy that we know Trion is employing with Rift. Whether that was the correct strategy or not remains to be seen, so he's not entirely out in left field with his concern.

I know this thread is going to get at least a bazillion responses with people saying the author has no credibility, doesn't understand games, etc. Still, I think these types of things are a concern. People read it, and the mass market that isn't already fans on this site are going to form an opinion based on what they read.
    "Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

blog - The Last Bastion

Quote Originally Posted by g0kuenuan View Post
    the line "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" comes to mind
    Would have to agree with this. Some of those things don't even make sense - especially number 10. The majority of the others are assuming that every MMO developer is out to create the mythical "World of Warcraft killer". Most MMO developers have stated that they are not out to destroy World of Warcraft, they are simply out to make a profit on a fun game.

As far as I see it, this is one man's (flawed) opinion.

I personally have played a ton of games, and I believe that Rift has the potential to be that mythical WoW killer. If it provides everything WoW does and more, I see no reason for it not to be. People are getting bored with WoW, the only reason they still play it is because there is nothing better available....yet.

For me he lost his credibility when he compared Rift with Runescape.

Think the phrase wowkiller is the most overused one out there since...well the release and success of WoW.

I think that ultimately developers can go after chunks of that market but need to bear in mind that a huge % of WoW's gameplayers are made up of traditionally non-gamer types (as in the cliche definition of gamer) and the lines are blurred somewhat where WoW is concerned.

It's very one size fits all.

Whereas something like Rift, and indeed things that are still going strong like Eve and a few other MMOs that are still generating revenue, are building a fanbase of their own and people from WoW may or may not check it out with a product that whilst not reinventing the wheel caters to a particular mindset and playstyle.

Challenging gameplay seems to be the derigeur of late from all sides, even Blizzard blue posts are going on about it, WoW took gameplay down to it's lowest common denominator so hopefully Rift can bring new stuff and give us a challenge once more so we don't have recruit#10001 standing in stuff and wondering why he's dieing :P

Quote Originally Posted by Song View Post
    I think that ultimately developers can go after chunks of that market but need to bear in mind that a huge % of WoW's gameplayers are made up of traditionally non-gamer types (as in the cliche definition of gamer) and the lines are blurred somewhat where WoW is concerned.

It's very one size fits all.
    Thats exactly why I am hoping that Rift wont be a WoW killer.I dont want to play with the average WoW player, I prefer the traditional UO or EQ player type. And if it becomes a WoW killer it would mean that they targeted the wrong group (for me at least).

Quote Originally Posted by Stryff View Post
    I personally have played a ton of games, and I believe that Rift has the potential to be that mythical WoW killer. If it provides everything WoW does and more, I see no reason for it not to be. People are getting bored with WoW, the only reason they still play it is because there is nothing better available....yet.
    Honestly I hope not because of community.

@Fozzik I think you are right it's not what we want to see and it is just one opinion. Trion has never said it is reinventing anything and most fans of it and hopefully the ones it brings in will understand this. I posted on a similar thread over at MMORPG that I hope to see a solid 300k subs imo that is a success if Trion saw a million I think they would be estactic but I don't think they are unrealistic in expectations either. The mark of success I believe is contined subs we saw what happened with WAR and AoC big hype out of the box and a dramatic decline.

I still don't understand the "need" to innovate everything but I guess that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadili View Post
    Honestly I hope not because of community.

@Fozzik I think you are right it's not what we want to see and it is just one opinion. Trion has never said it is reinventing anything and most fans of it and hopefully the ones it brings in will understand this. I posted on a similar thread over at MMORPG that I hope to see a solid 300k subs imo that is a success if Trion saw a million I think they would be estactic but I don't think they are unrealistic in expectations either. The mark of success I believe is contined subs we saw what happened with WAR and AoC big hype out of the box and a dramatic decline.

I still don't understand the "need" to innovate everything but I guess that's just me.
    I don't think it's about innovating EVERYTHING... but it is about getting out ahead of the market in some ways and clearly differentiating your product. This is, right now, where Trion is having issues. No matter how much fans on this site would like to argue otherwise, it is NOT a good thing that people around the web seem to think this is too similar to a 6-year-old game.

This game is targeted at the mass market (the exact same market WoW is targeted towards). Their whole design points to that fact. If they end up with 300,000 subs, that's not a niche success... it's a mass market failure. Could the game survive that way? Maybe... but I'm pretty sure that Trion and their investors are hoping and banking on a much higher number of subs. The fact that the community here is made up of a lot of folks who are looking for a niche game doesn't matter... If Trion tries to change their focus at this point we'll have another mess on our hands.

Again, the point of me posting this wasn't to say that the author of the article had some kind of magical insight and his DOOM prediction was going to come true. The point was to say that yet again, we're seeing negative opinions of the game because of its similarity to previous MMOs, and the mass market is going to develop an impression (if they haven't already) of the game based on those opinions. The "don't reinvent the wheel, we're the same on purpose" strategy does not appear to be working from a marketing standpoint.

blog - The Last Bastion

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzik View Post
    I don't think it's about innovating EVERYTHING... but it is about getting out ahead of the market in some ways and clearly differentiating your product. This is, right now, where Trion is having issues. No matter how much fans on this site would like to argue otherwise, it is NOT a good thing that people around the web seem to think this is too similar to a 6-year-old game.

This game is targeted at the mass market (the exact same market WoW is targeted towards). Their whole design points to that fact. If they end up with 300,000 subs, that's not a niche success... it's a mass market failure. Could the game survive that way? Maybe... but I'm pretty sure that Trion and their investors are hoping and banking on a much higher number of subs. The fact that the community here is made up of a lot of folks who are looking for a niche game doesn't matter... If Trion tries to change their focus at this point we'll have another mess on our hands.

Again, the point of me posting this wasn't to say that the author of the article had some kind of magical insight and his DOOM prediction was going to come true. The point was to say that yet again, we're seeing negative opinions of the game because of its similarity to previous MMOs, and the mass market is going to develop an impression (if they haven't already) of the game based on those opinions. The "don't reinvent the wheel, we're the same on purpose" strategy does not appear to be working from a marketing standpoint.
    I believe what that reviewer was trying to say is that there has only ever been ONE big winner based on the model that WoW and Rift are using. That doesn't mean there couldn't be two (or more) just that there never has been a second winner to date. The reviewer points out a real risk to Trion's business model.

It's my belief that if Richard Garriott is designing a new game today (and when was he ever not?), he would go for some kind of browser based social game. When you see a few million players using WoW model games and hundreds of millions playing browser based games... do the math.

Does that mean Rift is bound to fail? Of course not. But it IS a risky bet. So, if you were Lars Butler, what would you be doing to help Rift be as profitable as possible? One thing I would do is start a world class marketing effort on many fronts to insure that the target market was not only aware of the game but excited about it.
    Mac

from what i;m reading up there author have.. some strange ideas, i really don't know what he's smoking but would like to taste some.
    second thing don't ever trust internet troll, even if he's published on kotaku.
    ;e

I can agree with everyone when they say you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.

And I don't want another WoW. Having anyone and anybody play the game takes away from it. I like being able to work for things and then next week not have them giving it out like candy.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Dakgo View Post
    For me he lost his credibility when he compared Rift with Runescape.
    For me, he lost his credibility when he didn't put SOE up there. Plenty of new produce, but really, how long can they keep producing the same old with modifications?

I think RIFT is an extremely good idea and don't care what he says about implementation of new ideas, it's new ideas that make or break a company.

Shadowlander

browser games cannot support the amount of content that will be offered in rift. that in itself and the comparison with runescape ruin that articles credability in my mind

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast