+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: World of Warcraft subscriptions on the rise, ended 2013 at 7.8 million!

Default World of Warcraft subscriptions on the rise, ended 2013 at 7.8 million!

Blizzard Entertainment's MMORPG World of Warcraft ended 2013 with 7.8 million paying members, which is up from the 7.6 million figure announced in November. That's right, more than 9 years after release, the game is actually continuing to grow.

Of course, 7.8 million is down from a milestone of more than 12 million subscribers achieved in 2010 following the release of the Wrath of the Lich King expansion. All the same, it's impressive that the game has been able to not only stem subscriber attrition, but actually grow this late in a product lifecycle.

World of Warcraft's fifth expansion, Warlords of Draenor, was announced during BlizzCon in November and is expected to launch later this year. The subscriber numbers were announced as part of Activision Blizzard's latest earnings report today detailing fourth-quarter and full-year sales.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wor.../1100-6417575/

...so those stories about WoW's imminent demise have been greatly exaggerated...

A game will always experience a jump in activity in anticipation of an expansion. The only numbers that will be telling will be the subscription activity in the months after the release of Warlords of Draenor.
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

I know I'm playing it right now while Trion figures out what they want to do with PvP (most likely nothing or make it worse)

I'm Horde on Mal'Ganis if anyone wants to hit me up!
    Even free cost too much now

Ascendant

You're a bit late on this. I was expecting a small drop but an increase is a nice surprise. The pre-purchase option for the expansion is due to be released any week now and with that you get a free boost to an existing character or a completely new one so I expect that to keep numbers up for a while until the new expansion comes out. hopefully sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Crithappens View Post
    A game will always experience a jump in activity in anticipation of an expansion. The only numbers that will be telling will be the subscription activity in the months after the release of Warlords of Draenor.
    I guess your one of the haters. If it was a drop in subscriptions it would be WoW is dead. Now it's a increase it's but... Very sad.
    Last edited by Caitie; 02-25-2014 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Credo View Post
    I know I'm playing it right now while Trion figures out what they want to do with PvP (most likely nothing or make it worse)

I'm Horde on Mal'Ganis if anyone wants to hit me up!

As bad as it's always supposed to be according to everyone in the MMOrpg community I'm still playing over Rift atm as I, in my own personal experience have found Rift to have stagnated of late.

While I find this lvl 90 boost to be kinda a bit BS I think it stills does a lot of things better than most MMOrpg's atm.

Well, WoW is the only Western designed MMO that caters to the preteen market. It's not like they have any competition for their players to go to

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Laeris View Post
    Well, WoW is the only Western designed MMO that caters to the preteen market. It's not like they have any competition for their players to go to
    I'm sure I recall a dev saying the average age of a WoW player is now in their twenties.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by caitie View Post
    I'm sure I recall a dev saying the average age of a WoW player is now in their twenties.
    and they still have many players in their 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's and up

but that won't stop Laeris hating on it for being a "kiddies" game nor will it stop him writing thesis length posts making his case, arguing the point and telling everyone why he is right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post

tl;dr - Trion should do this: Melee = Turret Ranged > Mobile Ranged

Quote Originally Posted by caitie View Post
    I guess your one of the haters. If it was a drop in subscriptions it would be WoW is dead. Now it's a increase it's but... Very sad.
    Please do enlighten me as to how saying that I want to wait for more information to come out is hateful.
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

Telaran

First MMO yo...

Rift's raids are much much better though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntled View Post
    and they still have many players in their 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's and up

but that won't stop Laeris hating on it for being a "kiddies" game nor will it stop him writing thesis length posts making his case, arguing the point and telling everyone why he is right.

Blizzard also released the stats on the demographic that caused said growth. I'll wait for you to post back what demographic that is

I rather enjoy watching people eat their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
    I agree on this point. But what about everything else?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
    First MMO yo...

I'm being serious here, why are Rifts raids better. I'm looking for specifics not vague hyperbole.

Better is subjective. Rift's raids are far more involved and more difficult. Rift's don't have scalable difficulty either. Raiding in WoW has more or less become a pasttime that anybody can do with little to no preparation outside of gearscore prereqs.

In the same vein, let's give you full BiS raid gear. Now, take 20 people to the OLD hammerknell raid and try and fight Akylios for the first time. If people don't study up, there's going to be a WHOLE lot of wiping. Heck, I'd even say they wouldn't make it to Akylios on the first night without someone prepping them for the mechanics.

It's been some time since I've personally raided in WoW but I know plenty of people who do still play it. Going off what they've said and what I remember... WoW raids are very simple. Basic mechanics and DPS checks... not very many chained triggers and such. Don't stand in fire, don't DPS when a boss does X, and so on.

Rift's mechanics are very deep in many of the fights. For example the akylios fight again. Raid is in constant motion due to tentacles needing to be DPSd and Jornaru kited about between two tanks. Aky himself places debuffs on the raid that require random people to run together or they get mind controlled (and said mind control does not wear off... raid must kill them). Aky does cone AoE that must be avoided. All of this must go on while avoiding periodic waves and while keeping Jornaru and Akylios' health bars relatively even because killing one enrages the other. You have to drop Jornaru within seconds of killing Aky because enraging a god is very painful and your raid can't tank him for more than maybe 10-15 seconds at most.

The best gear in the world won't save you from mechanics checks on this fight due to the instagib nature of many of them... that and well, aky destroys the floor and if you fall in you die.

Mechanics like these, in my opinion, are what make Rift raiding better. Some fights aren't completely scripted on timers so you can't use mods to tell you where to stand unlike WoW. You have to have a pulse and an IQ to raid in Rift. In WoW, you just need a mod to tell you what to do.

God, that's a lot of players still. Hope RIFT turns into such a huge player base eventually, hopefully with a crazy af patch or something

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast