+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Elder Scrolls Online Charging Extra to Unlock all Classes.

Default Elder Scrolls Online Charging Extra to Unlock all Classes.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

A game that cost 54.99Euro to buy the digital standard edition and a further 13.99Euro per month after the first 30 days.

But upon purchasing the game and setting up a sub' you still don't get the Imperial Race, not vanity bonus but Race, until you upgrade or purchase the Imperial Edition which cost a minimum of 74.99Euro for the digital deluxe.
    (If you have no CC or DC and need to buy box retail/ time cards the cheapest version of the game to include the Imperial Race cost 99.99Euros)
    The imperial has unique racial traits and a personalised crafting system to craft Imperial gear(no other race can do this).

I am just wondering your thoughts on this, the imperial isn't a new or special Race and was developed within the original budget of the game and even though the game has a box price and sub fee you still have to pay extra to get all races.
    The imperial has been with the Elder Scrolls pretty much from the star and is many peoples fav' Race and was pretty much the focus Race of Oblivion, the game that introduce about 90% of current fans to the series and is now suddenly not a standard but a pay for item?

What do you think of this business plan to launch a P2P game with a 50+USD box price and still pay around 15-20 USD(minimum) for a standard Race. A top that they are also launching with a cash shop(outside the game) offering services and "fun stuff" for real money?

For me this is very dodgy and really don't feel it's right to start a culture of charging for Races. How would this be different for say WoW to have charged you 40Euros for MoP but 50 if you wanted the version that included the Pandaren Race?
    Last edited by gobSIDES; 02-23-2014 at 12:48 PM.

Pretty much, from what I've seen, any pay-to-play game that somehow includes a cash shop ends up being free-to-play. Off the top of my head I've seen Rift and The Secret World do this. The Secret World had one even in beta. I think it's pretty clear that they're preparing to go free to play. Even though it is going against what they were saying last year.

Ascendant

I get an air of snobbishness from these developers. Their arrogance will be their downfall. The game will probably sell well due to ES players wanting to try it out but I can't see most of them committing to a sub game.

^^This is what I was really feeling too. It seems as tough in every interview with anyone working on this game that it always comes back to "ow this is the Elder Scrolls experience" and what have you.

After Bioware and Star Wars no dev' or pub' should really bank on this though. Any series or ip can bomb no matter the hype or even to an extent first week sales if the treat the players like cash cows.

I have no doubt ESO will have immediate success but I am unconvinced the average elder scrolls fan will be willing to pay each month and continue after the first 30 days + the fact that one of the biggest reasons to play Skyrim/Oblivion wont be present, modding can an elder scrolls game demand 500+ hrs without it, I'm not sure.

So failing to bring in MMO players with cash grab tactics may prove to be them scaring off their biggest long term market.
    Last edited by gobSIDES; 02-23-2014 at 05:42 PM.

Ascendant

I think I won't be buying the game at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post

tl;dr - Trion should do this: Melee = Turret Ranged > Mobile Ranged

Rift Disciple

I call this bull***t! How on earth they expect you to pay for the game, pay for the sub, have a cash shop and make you pay more to get all the races?

I think that many fans of Elder Scrolls will buy it, play the 30 days that you get and then never play it again. Six months from release the game will get banished in the list of "I was waiting for this game but it was total bulls**t".

At that time, even if they cross over to F2P, they will be doomed because all the TES fans will be angry and dissapointed.

If you want to play Imperial, and the price is worth it to you, then buy the Imperial Edition.
    If you don't want to play Imperial, and the price isn't worth it to you, then don't buy the Imperial Edition.
    If you want to play Imperial, and the price isn't worth it to you, then don't buy the game.

My thoughts, and it's not like this **** is rocket science.
    Even free cost too much now

^^Yeah it's not really like were talking about solutions were more discussing the ethics of business practises like this and whether fans should tolerate or support, what could become a culture of charging extra for content developed in the original budget of the game, a budget to which your first day purchases go toward paying back.

Supporting this and not calling it out essentially allows a company to charge you extra for something you have already paid for the development of. No it's not rocket science, it's simple this is blatantly ripping off players and supporting it, in my opinion, is stupid. Actively letting a company charge you twice for something.

I can't believe people react this way, imperial race IS NOT A CLASS. Your title is misleading and the race IS mostly vanity, except the racial ability, which is nothing special. The massive sense of entitlement is strong in this thread. The game was not going to have Imperial originally, and I think it was added last minute because people wanted it added. So in my mind, I think it is cool that they are breaking their original idea to allow a race that was going to be locked from play. You guys act like Imperial race is a must have to be viable in the game, when it's not, and as for business practice, I've seen way worse and I can't blame them for trying to make an extra buck.

Rift Chaser

Why? because there are no good games out right now and they are getting the money of crazy ppl who would buy all those things before they go to f2p version. p2p wont last long because game just sux. I am playing Archeage now and it gonna be hit here. Its awesome. Graphic are 50% better than GW2 and 50+ fps on full detail.

Telaran

Too much for a sucky game I'd say

Quote Originally Posted by HannonHellbringer View Post
    I can't believe people react this way, imperial race IS NOT A CLASS. Your title is misleading and the race IS mostly vanity, except the racial ability, which is nothing special. The massive sense of entitlement is strong in this thread. The game was not going to have Imperial originally, and I think it was added last minute because people wanted it added. So in my mind, I think it is cool that they are breaking their original idea to allow a race that was going to be locked from play. You guys act like Imperial race is a must have to be viable in the game, when it's not, and as for business practice, I've seen way worse and I can't blame them for trying to make an extra buck.
    The title was a mistake but as I mention multiple time that it is a RACE and I pointed out it is absolutely not vanity. Races are simply not vanity at all they have traits, abilities, lore and in the case of the ESO Imperial they have the ability to craft unique Imperial gear which no other race can.

The imperial is also a standard Elder Scroll race that has been in every ES game, it's standard they held it back simply to charge for it, yhey didn't dev' it specifically for the CE.

People tend to feel entitled mate after they pay 55.99 plus 13.99 Euros every month and the game still has the nerve to ask for more money for standard in game content.

Ascendant

The Imperial race was developed as a 'CE' edition feature that was worth something, rather than just fluff as most CEs are. There was a furore of QQ so Zenimax have come out with this.

I support them, there's no reason why everyone should have access to everything for one price.

Quote Originally Posted by gobSIDES View Post
    People tend to feel entitled
    Yup, some peoples sense of entitlement is pretty sad.
    Last edited by Kerin; 02-24-2014 at 04:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gobSIDES View Post
    The title was a mistake but as I mention multiple time that it is a RACE and I pointed out it is absolutely not vanity. Races are simply not vanity at all they have traits, abilities, lore and in the case of the ESO Imperial they have the ability to craft unique Imperial gear which no other race can.

The imperial is also a standard Elder Scroll race that has been in every ES game, it's standard they held it back simply to charge for it, yhey didn't dev' it specifically for the CE.

People tend to feel entitled mate after they pay 55.99 plus 13.99 Euros every month and the game still has the nerve to ask for more money for standard in game content.
    Here you go, you need it.

http://img.pandawhale.com/81968-Lie-...cry-a-4qKE.png
    Last edited by HannonHellbringer; 02-24-2014 at 05:02 AM.

^Cute picture. I like pictures like that, they allow people to make jokes on the back of others wit, the wit they lack if you will allow.

So if Beth/Zeni call wanting an original race entitlement issues they must be right.

But hey you can do what you want when you have a community of morons they can charge 75 euros for anything from.

You people here defending this better not start crying when in a few months you can buy the Imperial race in the cash shop along with a host of other game content. Because remember it was you people who chose to allow companies to charge extra for all content.

After this game initial boom and it falls, it's gonna be hard because mistreating your customers, then insulting them isn't exactly good for business.

But hey who needs to discuss this when you can just shout "YOU FEEL ENTITLED!!!!" and rather than reinforce this point just hide behind memes/pictures to solidify a point you lack the intelligence to.

Plus you geniuses only touch on the Race, no opinions on a sub fee and cash shop?
    Last edited by gobSIDES; 02-24-2014 at 05:26 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast