+ Reply to Thread

Thread: After reading, my curiosity has grown...

Default After reading, my curiosity has grown...

I had never thought there were so many different ideas, thoughts and opinions as to the purpose of beta testing. It was an eye opener for me. It made me wonder:

Without judgment...

Who wants to beta test to to actually search for anomalies, bugs, typos, etc, in the graphics, spheres, terrain ... and view the advance knowledge of the game as a side benefit?

Who wants to test to get a glimpse/taste of the game to help determine if the want to invest a lot of time, thought, and heart into staying abreast of the information, partaking in the polls, diligently check forums several times a week/day or determine it's not the game for them and continue their search, but will feed/report back if they come across anything that should be fixed?

Who wants to beta test to recon, gain advance knowledge in order to hit the game full throttle on opening day knowing which mobs, npcs, questlines to skip/comeback to later and to which to make a V-line, but will feed/report back if they come across anything that should be fixed?

Again, this is not to troll, I am seeing different points of view in regards to beta testing that I have never thought of and I am going to learn from it if I can. I am not sure how many will answer or answer honestly, if they are concerned that their answer might affect their acceptance into beta, but I am guessing from the method Trion is going to employ, any response will not really change their invite.
    "That which is beautiful is not always good, but that which is good is always beautiful."

T A S C'S Guild FAQ

If I were to beta it would be to bug hunt and make suggestions to better the game....

However, personally I do not beta test a game i want to play from day 1. I dont like having the advantage of knowing the game prerelease. I want to experience all first hand when I am actually playing but that is my personal opinion. I know there are a lot that want to get an edge. I hope most of the testers for Rift are there to make it a better game not just for personal gain.

i cant beta test becouse my english is preety limited xD
    but i think that everyone who goes to beta test is going for see how the game will be, and if the game is good then they will help to solve bugs or search some to exploit after :P (jk)

Quote Originally Posted by keliana
    Who wants to beta test to recon, gain advance knowledge in order to hit the game full throttle on opening day knowing which mobs, npcs, questlines to skip/comeback to later and to which to make a V-line, but will feed/report back if they come across anything that should be fixed?
    well, if they test quests they will know what to do when the game lauchs, if they go to the beta JUST for this there is no problem they will be questing and will be testing so, they wil be helping in some way :P xD
    i speack not english good you tell me when wrong i am ! [JK!]
    Waiting for the king of the mmorpg's ...
    -Dnz

Quote Originally Posted by Denzen View Post
    ...well, if they test quests they will know what to do when the game lauchs, if they go to the beta JUST for this there is no problem they will be questing and will be testing so, they wil be helping in some way :P xD
    That is another good point of view of which I did not think.
    "That which is beautiful is not always good, but that which is good is always beautiful."

T A S C'S Guild FAQ

I still file /bug reports in Vanguard after almost 4 years now - even though I know they will never get fixed. So, yeah, that would be my primary goal in beta.

However I will also be looking to see if the game has potential to be my MMO 'home' for the next few years.

In EQ, beta players are not treated as testers. We just play the game, they let us play all night, we get all the gear and stuff we want. We are not forced to do anything. There are times we get invited for testing zones, the developers invite us in the group and we get to play. There are no rules or guidelines, we do /bug things on the forums and in the game all the time, but we still do whatever we want in the world. But our beta forums are probably much better than any other game out there.

There must be other types of betas I'm not aware of, but what I described in EQ happened in Lineage, in FFXIV and in Aion.

I think people are making way too big a deal out of this. The game might not even be fun or good, until I played it (which I haven't) I won't be able to decide either way, so for me beta is a preview too.
    Last edited by Aurelie; 10-07-2010 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keilana View Post
    Who wants to beta test to to actually search for anomalies, bugs, typos, etc, in the graphics, spheres, terrain ... and view the advance knowledge of the game as a side benefit?
    I would say I'm about 60% this one because typos break immersion like you would NOT believe. Typos drive me absolutely in-fricken-sane!!

Who wants to test to get a glimpse/taste of the game to help determine if the want to invest a lot of time, thought, and heart into staying abreast of the information, partaking in the polls, diligently check forums several times a week/day or determine it's not the game for them and continue their search, but will feed/report back if they come across anything that should be fixed?
    And about 40% this one. I'm not gonna lie. I want to see if it is a game I want to invest my money in. There are so many games out there nowadays. I'm not just gonna plunk my money down based on some videos, interviews and screenshots. You know?

I had never thought there were so many different ideas, thoughts and opinions as to the purpose of beta testing. It was an eye opener for me. It made me wonder:

Without judgment...

Again, this is not to troll, I am seeing different points of view in regards to beta testing that I have never thought of and I am going to learn from it if I can. I am not sure how many will answer or answer honestly, if they are concerned that their answer might affect their acceptance into beta, but I am guessing from the method Trion is going to employ, any response will not really change their invite.
    I want to do all those things. I don't see them being in conflict. I like to find bugs, report em and offer suggestions. I also want a preview of the game to see if the whole guild should migrate.
    Mac

Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    I want to do all those things. I don't see them being in conflict. I like to find bugs, report em and offer suggestions. I also want a preview of the game to see if the whole guild should migrate.
    he he, I just knew someone was going to say that. I already know that everyone or most everyone will want all of those things. I was trying to get an idea of what was the biggest driving force of the three.

T A S C'S Guild FAQ

he he, I just knew someone was going to say that. I already know that everyone or most everyone will want all of those things. I was trying to get an idea of what was the biggest driving force of the three.
    I guess my motivation would be about 60% find bugs/issues and post bug reports/suggestions. 40% split on exploration of a new world and familerization of the game to help guildies get a fast start when the game goes live.
    Mac

I would love to but it actually seems like people in Alpha found a very big chunk of it.
    I know well enough that the game during Beta will not exactly be the same game at launch. Though, like anyone, I would like a glimpse at it to see if it is on the right track.
    I'm way too forgetful to remember any of that and it would be absolutely weird to write it all down. No, I'll figure it out by myself, I usually remember how to complete some odd and confusing quests after I played through it once though. (usually )
    It really seems like the next step in Beta soon will be just for marketing and stress testing. It's fine with me but it makes it fine for me not to be in Beta as well. I merely want to make sure the game doesn't come out with tons of glitches, lag, etc., it sounds like they found most problems during Alpha.
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

You asked: Who wants to beta test to to actually search for anomalies, bugs, typos, etc, in the graphics, spheres, terrain ... and view the advance knowledge of the game as a side benefit?

Part of my desire to do beta is for the reason you mentioned above - I would venture to say its the majority of the reason. I enjoy the process, trying things out, and reporting back.

I do also admit that rest of my desire is to just get a sneak peak of the world - NOT as you mentioned, so that I can decide if I want to play the game, as I have already made that decision, but merely because I am curious since the game was called Heroes of Telara. ;-)

I am not at all in the "recon, gain advance knowledge in order to hit the game full throttle on opening day" because thats not how I play ANY game, at any time.
    Last edited by ryashani; 10-10-2010 at 02:46 PM.

Some of the time what's in beta is different in live... from my little experience with beta testing in DAoC and EQ2. Even things that are focus tested, will/can be changed up.

The only time I noticed no changes was open beta for STO, even submitting /bug /feedback and typos there were no obivious changes.

Even while playing EQ2 for 6 years I was submitting /bug and /feeback and /typo till I left.

Developers might want a good mix, because you don't know where the little buggerboos will show up, so even just "playing" will show up where a fix maybe needed. Hopefully beta testers will at least do /feedback.

Yes, everyone would like to know what's coming, but sometimes you are going to be surprised when it's not the same.

When in beta, first thing I do is to play everything in the game and not reporting the bugs. If the game has potential to be my home for a few years, then I will start helping out bug reporting and giving feedback. However if I find this game doesn't match my expectations, I will stop playing in beta for good. That is how I treat every other MMO beta. I am a gamer at heart, not beta tester. I know what I want in a MMO game.

+ Reply to Thread