+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gigapixel images

Default Gigapixel images

If you don't know what these are, it's a picture put together by many pictures with a special technique and it lets you zoom reallyyyyy faaaar.

http://gigapix.no/gigapiksel/1399/be...tt-fra-ulriken
    This is a Norwegian town called Bergen

Anyone know any good ones?

That is pretty cool.

There is a man and a boy to the right of the small blue pond, and you can zoom in and see them clearly.

You can also zoom in on the stadium (left side) and read the banners clearly.
    Dual Targeting - The Targeting System of the Modern MMO

If the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was made by today's MMO designers, the first 8 hours would be condensed into 30 minutes, and the last hour would be stretched out over 8.5 hours. It would be all about 'The Ending' and not about 'The Journey'.

You can even read some license plates!

But this....

http://i56.tinypic.com/312w6qh.jpg

That was actually started quite a few years ago by these guys at the giga pixel project, there are tons of pics there, you could spend hours on it if you are so inclined:

http://www.gigapxl.org/gallery.htm

As a photographer this probably interests me more than most, but I think everyone can gawk at some of the pictures and get a little slack-jawed

There are some very nice pictures there, could spend hour looking at them. It would be interesting to see a portrait of someone, I wonder if you could zoom in far enough to see skinflakes :P

Quote Originally Posted by Dakgo View Post
    There are some very nice pictures there, could spend hour looking at them. It would be interesting to see a portrait of someone, I wonder if you could zoom in far enough to see skinflakes :P
    Well, you could, but you would have to use a macro lens.. And you probably wouldn't see skinflakes, but you could inspect the pores pretty well :P

Just because a camera can take numerous landscape pictures and patch together to a giant picture, doesn't mean it becomes a microscope (quite the opposite, really)

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Well, you could, but you would have to use a macro lens.. And you probably wouldn't see skinflakes, but you could inspect the pores pretty well :P

Just because a camera can take numerous landscape pictures and patch together to a giant picture, doesn't mean it becomes a microscope (quite the opposite, really)
    Yep, there's a difference between making 'closer' (telescopes, that crazy camera) and making 'bigger' (microscopes =o)
    It is an ironic habit of human beings to run faster when we have lost our way.
    -Me? I am Someone, Somebody. Anybody. Anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post

I had no idea how it works, but you learn something new each day (phew done with that today). I just look at them and let the professionals take them for me

Oh wow, that's so pretty, and such a cool concept. A little strange when you zoom in then zoom back out to see how far you were. I like it.
    "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

That's a cool view of Bergen from the mountain Ulriken. Norway is blessed with great views. My Wife and I went up into the arctic of Norway {near Narvik) this year around midsummer. Nothing but views up there, not many people. The sun dipped pretty low behind a mountain around 2AM but them rose again at 3AM. It never sets that far north at midsummer, just gets a bit twilighty for a hour or two. We had a barbeque attended by 70 people of so, it's an annual event at our friend's farm. One person had travelled there from New Mexico in the US, another was from Wales in the UK, of course most were from the far north. Our friend slaughtered 3 goats for the BBQ, we had other good stuff to eat too and LOTS of good Norsk beer. Hurray for summer!
    Mac

+ Reply to Thread