I'm curious what would be faster

3 - EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX 512 MB

approx $ 300

or

2 - EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked 768 MB

approx $ 360

1 - EVGA GeForce GTX 470 1280mb

Approx $ 290

Trying to figure out what configuration would be the best combination the 3 .... the 2 or the 1.... i'm a little new to the SLI configurations trying to see what may be best for a new computer.... any info would be great....

Soulwalker

First of all out of those the GTX470 is easily the fastest, though its only about 10% faster than the GTX460.

On a side note, where the hell are you getting those prices?

Use newegg.com or amazon.com and you should be relatively safe.

I think you guys misunderstood. He's asking which is faster: THREE of the first cards together in SLI, TWO of the second cards together in SLI, or ONE of the third card.

The first card isn't worth considering, even in a 3-way SLI setup. It is much older tech, and wouldn't be a good investment.

2 GTX 460s in SLI would be faster, I think, but I would go with a single GTX 470. Save some money, save the hassle, and unless you are running a super-high resolution, a single GTX 470 should be plenty for any game. In fact, depending on the rest of your system and the size of your monitor, a single GTX 460 1GB might be plenty.

Personally, I don't feel SLI is worth it most of the time, because of the hassle, and the fact that the performance is inconsistent. Some games you'll see a huge performance increase from SLI, some a small increase, and some no increase at all...and you often have to play with setting and mess with stuff to get the performance increases. I like to just put in a card, not mess with it, and play with reasonably close performance across all games.

You may want to hold off on buying, though...there are new gen cards coming pretty soon.
    "Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

forums - Fozzik's Hardware
    blog - The Last Bastion

2xgtx 460 is fastest but make sure your motherboard has 2 x 16 PCIE ports. The cheap motherboards usually dont make full speed slots, so they are cheaper, they make 1x16 & 1x8 usually. I myself rely on one ATI 5850 card since i saved ~150 on motherboard without 2nd full speed PCIE.

Why do ducks have webbed feet?...To stamp out fires

Why do elephants have flat feet?...To stamp out burning ducks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurgle View Post
    2xgtx 460 is fastest but make sure your motherboard has 2 x 16 PCIE ports. The cheap motherboards usually dont make full speed slots, so they are cheaper, they make 1x16 & 1x8 usually. I myself rely on one ATI 5850 card since i saved ~150€ on motherboard without 2nd full speed PCIE.
    That is not true according to what I read on hardOCP
    http://hardocp.com/article/2010/08/1...6x16_vs_x16x8/
    and here
    http://hardocp.com/article/2010/08/2...16x16_vs_x8x8/

Like above said, the 9800 setup is not valid at all, it's very old cards, they are refurbished 8800s so they are 4 generations old.

Best bang for the buck atm are nvidia 460-465-470 - Go for more than 1gb RAM if you can, it's worth it with ultra textures or if you want to run really high anti-aliasing.

Anyhow, the 460SLI would be the fastest by a mile, especially if you have a monitor with higher than 1080p resolution.

I would go for the single 470 unless you have a huge monitor or dual monitors though, saves you quite the electricity aswell, and easier to keep your computer cool - SLI setups are very hot.
    Ernesto
    [Ginnunga] Online gaming guild since 1999 - Founder

yea sorry for not clarifying on the fact that the numbers in front of each card meant the number of cards......

It sounds like the majority of the consensus leans toward the one - GTX 470 idea which i guess would probably be the best bet then a year or so down the road I will still have the option to upgrade to a second one if need be.

Sorry about the confusion if anyone else has anymore comments I would more than appreciate to hear them...

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzik View Post
    I think you guys misunderstood. He's asking which is faster: THREE of the first cards together in SLI, TWO of the second cards together in SLI, or ONE of the third card.

The first card isn't worth considering, even in a 3-way SLI setup. It is much older tech, and wouldn't be a good investment.

2 GTX 460s in SLI would be faster, I think, but I would go with a single GTX 470. Save some money, save the hassle, and unless you are running a super-high resolution, a single GTX 470 should be plenty for any game. In fact, depending on the rest of your system and the size of your monitor, a single GTX 460 1GB might be plenty.

Personally, I don't feel SLI is worth it most of the time, because of the hassle, and the fact that the performance is inconsistent. Some games you'll see a huge performance increase from SLI, some a small increase, and some no increase at all...and you often have to play with setting and mess with stuff to get the performance increases. I like to just put in a card, not mess with it, and play with reasonably close performance across all games.

You may want to hold off on buying, though...there are new gen cards coming pretty soon.
    He is correct on this, 9800's are out of date, and a Galaxy 470 GC can be easily over clocked to run as fast or faster than a 480 with good air cooling in the case. Thats the way I would go!

Get the 470 and overclock. The 9800 is old old tech and the 470 can beat the 480 if you overclock it.

I think we should just take the warning labels off of everything and let evolution do it's work. Weed out the stupid people.

Champion

I would hold out for a couple of weeks, rumour has it the Radeon 6000 series is launching very soon, should shake up prices even if you are determined to go Nvidia.

Out of those 3 options I'd definitely go for the 470.

Soonish. Word wavers around early November. There are only 2 cards mentioned so far, and they effectively perform at the higher series 8 levels. But yeah, there will likely be holiday price drops or add-on offers starting "black Friday".
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

You could always do 2 GTX 460's and if SLI reduces performance, you can set one to specifically run physX, so one card will do everything that deals with PhysX, and the other will handle everything else. We did that with 2 8800's and it runs massively better, however, you should make sure your mobo has SLI support, some are only CrossfireX and some are both, but if you do not have a SLI supported mobo it requires some software modding; not too difficult, but annoying to deal with. The 460's are also thick, so you'll have to have a long SLI adapter (i think it comes with one), because they won't fit in side-by-side PCI-e slots, it will completely cut off airflow to one and cause extreme heat issues. I also suggest the EVGA version of the 460 because it doesn't have the stupid little sticker on the front that will bubble up and cover the heatsink casing.

I suggest the 460's primarily because they run MUCH cooler than the 470 and 480. The two latter cards use GF 100 core which generates much more heat than the GF104 core. Also, the best card - GTX 480 is only 1.6x faster than a single GTX 460, so running two is immensely better than a single of even the best (and hottest) card on the market. Unless you have a Cooler Master HAF 942**, heat will become a problem. I can feel heat radiating from Kainzo's computer and he has a single 480. He idles around 50 degrees C, but it quickly gets up there when playing graphically intensive games, mostly on Metro 2033, and the fan is very loud when it's above 60%.

All-in-all, I would suggest a SLI of the 460s, or one card being used only for PhysX and the other as your main video card to take strain off. Either one would work. :]
    Last edited by Apherdite; 10-07-2010 at 09:31 PM. Reason: mistype

Quote Originally Posted by Apherdite View Post
    [...]have a Cooler Master HAF 465, heat will become a problem. [...]
    there's no such things. Might have put in the wrong numbers. HAF are like 912, 922, 932 and 942.

also if you're going to dedicate a card for PhysiX, if you own a series 8, 9 or GT 2 already, buy a new card, and plug one of the old ones. it will do it.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jaudark View Post
    there's no such things. Might have put in the wrong numbers. HAF are like 912, 922, 932 and 942.

also if you're going to dedicate a card for PhysiX, if you own a series 8, 9 or GT 2 already, buy a new card, and plug one of the old ones. it will do it.
    The 942 is just the HAF X. My question is why do people still buy nvidia? With 5870's going under 400$ and the 6xxx series of ATI coming out next month, nvidia is way behind. Crossfire imo is also way superior to SLi. Im not an ATI or Nvidia fanboy/hater I built this pc at first with a gtx295, then went to a HD5870 and will never look back.

Quote Originally Posted by SltrHouse View Post
    My question is why do people still buy nvidia?
    Coke vs. Pepsi. Many have what they prefer and will ignore differences between generations as they leap-frog each other and stick with their prefered card/manufacturer.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

+ Reply to Thread