+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Everquest Next Landmark (Alpha) Gameplays

  1. #16
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baramos View Post
    When I first saw the art for the first time, I was horribly turned off. I am one of the many people who griped about the way it looked to whoever would listen. After playing EQN Landmark for a few days now, I am happy with the general feel of the game. I definitely still wish they would have taken the art in a different direction, but it isn't nearly as bad as I first thought.
    The performance is terrible. If people complain about Rift this one is sure to shock.

    On my gtx780, i7-4770k it was clearly struggling and it's only a very small piece of the world available. I didn't see that many people around either to lag me.

    Many many optimizations need to happen for this thing to even remotely work for normal PCs.

    I honestly thought the art style was going to allow it to have a huge FPS boost, I was wrong.
    Last edited by Hydron; 02-04-2014 at 06:12 PM.

  2. #17
    Ascendant Laeris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,873

    Default

    Well it is in an alpha stage. Not a beta stage or an early release stage... but alpha.

  3. #18
    Ascendant Laeris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hydron View Post
    The performance is terrible. If people complain about Rift this one is sure to shock.

    On my gtx780, i7-4770k it was clearly struggling and it's only a very small piece of the world available. I didn't see that many people around either to lag me.

    Many many optimizations need to happen for this thing to even remotely work for normal PCs.

    I honestly thought the art style was going to allow it to have a huge FPS boost, I was wrong.
    I'll use a RL example of a software product I am working on right now. It's a medical integration software that integrates clinician mobile devices with patient bedside alarm devices. In alpha, the program was using 1.4gb of memory on our internal test machines and it could process 1,000 alarms per hour.

    After several builds and about 16 weeks worth of development, the code had been optimized and we got that program to use 0.65 GB of system memory. We identified an issue with our backend processes and had to reduce the alarms per hour until new development could streamline how our LDAP and SQL system stored and routed alarm data. We could only handle 500 alarms per hour with this build. This became our first beta build.

    We're due to go GA (general availability) sometime next month and it is currently running at 0.28 GB of memory and can handle at least 3,000 alarms per hour. Prior to this general release, it was unoptimized for mass use on hospital information systems but in prior releases, we were using beta to test things like our rules engine that communicated with bedside medical devices and pulled alarm parameters from the medical HL7 messages being generated.

    In short, alpha/beta often does not reflect the final product's performance. Where gamers will say, "Ah this beta plays like crap!" A developer will say, "Nice! It looks like we fixed the issue with resource spawn timers and added in some new development tools that will allow us to create new content quicker. We also have some new features on the server side that will allow us to better optimize network usage."

    And, pending quality control reviews... those benefits outlined in build 1 may not be visible to the player until build 2, 3 or 5.
    Last edited by Laeris; 02-04-2014 at 08:27 PM.

  4. #19
    Ascendant Baramos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hydron View Post
    The performance is terrible. If people complain about Rift this one is sure to shock.
    Just like people say it isn't fair to compare Rift to WoW in terms of content because WoW has been out for 10 years and Rift for 3, you can't compare a game to early ages Alpha to a game that has been out for almost 3 years. While I am not an Everquest homer (was playing Ultima Online & Daoc when EQ was popular), comparing apples and oranges isn't fair.

  5. #20
    Plane Walker Phreakuency's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    438

    Default

    I disagree with the performance comment.

    Rock solid 60fps here (yes I have a beast, but this runs way smoother than Rift).

    I made a quick clip showing how you can not just dig for ore and such but actually create tunnels underground.

    Will be cool to see what people do on their property with this feature (I'm guessing your own property doesn't heal like the regular areas).

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2mfk...&feature=share

  6. #21
    Ascendant Laeris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,873

    Default

    That's a feature I'm looking forward to in the real game. You can dig mine shafts in the world and mine for resources... or if you're an intrepid explorer, you dig like a crazed dwarf and break into the 1st layer of the underworld (where buried relics lie). If you keep digging from there, you end up in a molten, hellish area where friendly face chewing goblins live (amongst other things).

    So, as a happy little miner... greed can and will sometimes end in your digging up something that should have stayed buried (insert LotR reference about Moria and Balrogs here).

  7. #22
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Just wanted to point out that if you got into alpha, you're under NDA. Not that it really affects me, but you should be careful.

  8. #23
    Ascendant Baramos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nullity View Post
    Just wanted to point out that if you got into alpha, you're under NDA. Not that it really affects me, but you should be careful.
    I appreciate you looking out for me, but the NDA was lifted a few hours into Alpha Testing.

    "Technically the alpha is holding up very very well, better even than expected. So, based on the requests of our alpha players, (and in spirit of transparency) we've decided to lift the nda immediately."

    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/l...of-Alpha-Start

    Quote Originally Posted by Phreakuency View Post

    Rock solid 60fps here (yes I have a beast, but this runs way smoother than Rift).
    Very nice fps, I am jelly!
    Last edited by Baramos; 02-05-2014 at 09:00 AM.

  9. #24
    Ascendant Baramos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,595

    Default

    Community Claim Creations Episode 1 - Eirynne's Wayside


    Community Claim Creations Episode 2 - Wolf's Claim

  10. #25
    Plane Walker Nitzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    450

    Default

    As I'm a fan of Yogscast I found this a while back and been following it a bit, I like the idea of an "evolved Minecraft" however from the content I've seen so far I've a hard time seeing how this will be appealing to a large player base for a long period of time. Minecraft have the possibility to be modded to contain almost everything, something that the success of the game has shown in maps/worlds designed in almost as many ways that there's idea's and play styles out there. What will you do here after you've crafted everything and built your "home", walk around looking at other people's creations?
    17/17 T1, 4/4 T1HM, 4/4 GA, 3/3 IG, 5/5 PB

  11. #26
    Ascendant Baramos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nitzi View Post
    As I'm a fan of Yogscast I found this a while back and been following it a bit, I like the idea of an "evolved Minecraft" however from the content I've seen so far I've a hard time seeing how this will be appealing to a large player base for a long period of time. Minecraft have the possibility to be modded to contain almost everything, something that the success of the game has shown in maps/worlds designed in almost as many ways that there's idea's and play styles out there. What will you do here after you've crafted everything and built your "home", walk around looking at other people's creations?
    Valid question, I know I wouldn't be able to play it long term. I am just using Everquest Next Landmark as a filler game until something else comes out. I am still playing Rift, but I do enjoy a change of pace from time to time on the side. I never even thought I would touch EQ Next Landmark, but always figured I would play Everquest Next when it eventually comes out. I think it is interesting how they are getting the Landmark players to build a lot of their game (Everquest Next) for them.
    Last edited by Baramos; 02-11-2014 at 10:38 PM.

  12. #27
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Yeah, the character models are a massive turn off. I have zero interest. It seriously looks like a DISNEY MMO.

  13. #28
    Ascendant Baramos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bragol View Post
    Yeah, the character models are a massive turn off. I have zero interest. It seriously looks like a DISNEY MMO.
    I love the world, I hate the character models.

  14. #29
    Ascendant Baramos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,595

    Default

    DiamondBeard's Claim

  15. #30
    Ascendant Baramos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,595

    Default

    Community Claim Creations Episode 4 - Whistling Fists Inn


+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts