+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EvE Online Battle

Plane Touched

Default EvE Online Battle

In what has proven to be one of the costliest battles in any MMO, coupled with the massive fleets revolving around Titans and supercapital ships, EvE Online today hosted what was one of the costliest battles known to the gaming world. Over 1,600 players at one point crammed into the single system of B-5RB, cluttering the grid and overview of friendlies and hostiles alike. The two coalitions vied for domination of this strategically important system. In the end, over 100 Titans sat in smoldering wreckage.

The fight was so unique and large that CCP, the creators of EvE Online, said they'd be forgoing the usual daily half-hour-long daily maintenance at 0700 EST. This was also big because patch 1.1 of the Rubicon expansion was scheduled to deploy on Tuesday. This has, however, been reverted and maintenance will continue as normal due to the battle itself winding down.

At last tally, over $100,000 USD had been destroyed, making this the costliest battle in terms of real-life money.

Quote Originally Posted by FaheyUSMC View Post
    In what has proven to be one of the costliest battles in any MMO, coupled with the massive fleets revolving around Titans and supercapital ships, EvE Online today hosted what was one of the costliest battles known to the gaming world. Over 1,600 players at one point crammed into the single system of B-5RB, cluttering the grid and overview of friendlies and hostiles alike. The two coalitions vied for domination of this strategically important system. In the end, over 100 Titans sat in smoldering wreckage.

The fight was so unique and large that CCP, the creators of EvE Online, said they'd be forgoing the usual daily half-hour-long daily maintenance at 0700 EST. This was also big because patch 1.1 of the Rubicon expansion was scheduled to deploy on Tuesday. This has, however, been reverted and maintenance will continue as normal due to the battle itself winding down.

At last tally, over $100,000 USD had been destroyed, making this the costliest battle in terms of real-life money.

Dayum! That's nuts.

Makes me wish I'd gotten in on this game when it launched. So awesome!!

Ghostwheel@Vigil

Plane Touched

It was quite a sight to behold. CFC (Cluster**** Coalition) fielded more pilots and killed the most Titans. However, Pandemic Legion is known as some of the best supercapital/Titan pilots in the game, and so they brought the fight. While they lost the most, PL really comes out on top because of their commitment to the fight itself. Honestly, that and no one likes the Something Awful forum kids that make up Goonswarm, among other things.

Right now, approximately 70 Titans have been confirmed destroyed. Each one could be bought by spending roughly $3,000 in PLEX, the in-game item that CCP sells for real-life currency and allows a person to subscribe for an additional month (really, it's like using your in-game time to pay for itself). Or, a better way of thinking about it is someone else pays for your time, but that's besides the point. That means that as of right now, the total loss in USD stands at $210,000.

In EvE Online, when you lose your ship, you lose it. You don't "rezz" at a station and have to pay in-game money to repair damaged modules. It blew up. Those Titans are gone for good, and it will take some time to replace them legitimately.

Quote Originally Posted by FaheyUSMC View Post

Right now, approximately 70 Titans have been confirmed destroyed. Each one could be bought by spending roughly $3,000 in PLEX, the in-game item that CCP sells for real-life currency and allows a person to subscribe for an additional month (really, it's like using your in-game time to pay for itself). Or, a better way of thinking about it is someone else pays for your time, but that's besides the point. That means that as of right now, the total loss in USD stands at $210,000.

In EvE Online, when you lose your ship, you lose it. You don't "rezz" at a station and have to pay in-game money to repair damaged modules. It blew up. Those Titans are gone for good, and it will take some time to replace them legitimately.

Eve definitely sounds intriguing. Is it possible to play Eve for a while casually and not spend extra money outside of the monthly fee, or is Eve one of those games you have to play like 8 hours a day and have to invest a small fortune in?

Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you.

Plane Touched

There's different ways to look at it. At the very least, you need to micromanage a bit. You "level up" by training skills, which can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few months to train (some of the longest skills can take 45+ days to train).

Also, keep in mind that EvE Online at its care is a PvP-centric game. You can always find yourself the target of a gank, or of other forms of non-consentual PvP. The only safe place is docked in a station!

As for payment: you don't have to spend anything outside your subscription fee. Hell, I know I bought PLEX for a bit when I was learning, and it allowed me to bank a bit before I became competent. Now I can easily makes billions of ISK a month in a wormhole doing sites and the like, plus plenty of PvP!

+ Reply to Thread