+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Civilization V

Default Civilization V

I have been playing around with Civ V for a good week now. As my girlfriends has caught the flu, I had to take care of our little daughter most of the time - so there was not enough time to really make up my mind about it.

Still, even with my limited time, I have the feeling that Civ V is a bit less challenging than IV. I am not into Immortal level yet, still tech-rushing Riflemen and simply crushing any opposition with them seems a very strong stragtey.

What are your experiences and opinions to Civ V?
    ELDER of TELARA

Proud member of NEMESIS

Champion

It's a good game, however there are a number of "easy win" strategies, rushing riflemen is just one.

I like the game, I just feel it need a lot of balancing to avoid making a few "I win" strategies so powerful. MP at the moment seems pointless as you'll only ever see 1 or 2 strategies from any player who understands how powerful they are and anyone who doesn't use those strategies will end up steamrolled.

The AI doesn't even seem to care if you win, I managed to make a science victory and no AI civ even attacked me, just let me cruise to victory. It also is very limited when it comes to combat.

Good game, but needs a lot of work through patching to be a great game.

I have played the demo and i quite enjoyed it but i don't have the money to but it right now heh

Quote Originally Posted by Durnkrag View Post
    It's a good game, however there are a number of "easy win" strategies, rushing riflemen is just one.

I like the game, I just feel it need a lot of balancing to avoid making a few "I win" strategies so powerful. MP at the moment seems pointless as you'll only ever see 1 or 2 strategies from any player who understands how powerful they are and anyone who doesn't use those strategies will end up steamrolled.

The AI doesn't even seem to care if you win, I managed to make a science victory and no AI civ even attacked me, just let me cruise to victory. It also is very limited when it comes to combat.

Good game, but needs a lot of work through patching to be a great game.
    I agree. I'm having fun with it but there are a few bugs and balancing issues that they need to deal with to polish it up a little. Huge potential though and, for me, a significant upgrade over Civ IV.

Did anybody try out modern times warfare? Hex-field combat should provide a more strategic approach than the old unit stacking system seen in i-IV. Does the AI put up a fight there or are they just sitting in their cities waiting to be taken out?
    ELDER of TELARA

Proud member of NEMESIS

Quote Originally Posted by Caracarn View Post
    Did anybody try out modern times warfare? Hex-field combat should provide a more strategic approach than the old unit stacking system seen in i-IV. Does the AI put up a fight there or are they just sitting in their cities waiting to be taken out?
    couple of times.
    every time, I ended up bombing the cities to death with B2 stealth bombers and rolled in with mechanized infantry. tanks have a penalty when assaulting a city. When it's a coastal city, I also bring destroyers and Battleships. generally a city last a round.

Prophet of Telara

Haven't really got in to it yet. I've started a few games and got fed up of trying to balance happiness and income. My feel for the game really hit rock bottom when I was exploring a new game and ran in to a Chinese rifleman in 3000BC!!

I must say there are some things about the game that I love, such as the combat, hexes and the natural wonders, but I just haven't found it as absorbing as I found Civ 4 yet. Something just hasn't hit me yet.
    We Were The Defiant

Then Rift went Trivial and Dull

Quote Originally Posted by Caracarn View Post
    I have been playing around with Civ V for a good week now. As my girlfriends has caught the flu, I had to take care of our little daughter most of the time - so there was not enough time to really make up my mind about it.

Still, even with my limited time, I have the feeling that Civ V is a bit less challenging than IV. I am not into Immortal level yet, still tech-rushing Riflemen and simply crushing any opposition with them seems a very strong stragtey.

What are your experiences and opinions to Civ V?
    I am kind of in a love hate relationship with it. There are things about it which are SOOOOOOOO much better than Civ4. The hex tile system, the lack of unit stacking, the fact that combat/terrain actually makes a big difference, etc. Not having to build transport ships to cross water. There's lots more but this is off the top of my head.

Things that drive me friggin nuts:

The happiness system. Its way too overboard. WAY too overboard. I shouldn't have to build a colliseum and every subsequent happiness building in every single city as soon as humanly possible to avoid unhappiness (i know im exaggerating slightly here but seriously).

The city-state system. Great idea overall, implementation was crap. Influence fades far too quickly and is far too difficult to get. Buying it is unfeasibly because that 250 or 500 or 1000 gold will go SOOOO much further buying you either a new unit, a building in a city, some workers, etc.

The Tech Tree: In trying to trim down the tech tree they made lots of horribly stupid mistakes. For example you can train it so that you get rifleman before you actually train gunpowder.

Lack of options in configuring games. I'm sorry but having 5 map types is a little bit ridiculous.

Utterly broken and "afterthought" multiplayer system. I mean honestly, it doesnt even have a "join game" button. Any way of sorting, a friends list, i mean, the basics are missing here.

I could keep complaining. But, the reality is its a good game, a great addition to the series, and overall i find it vastly better than civ 4 ever was. There are just some major tweaks that need to be made and ASAP.

Edit: I forgot to mention, a couple other people have brought it up, and they are correct, there are way too many strategies that give you a huge advantage. My personal favorite is building the Great Library so it completes a couple turns before you use it to grab civil service, this pretty much guarantees a win.
    Last edited by Hrimnir; 10-07-2010 at 12:00 AM.

+ Reply to Thread