+ Reply to Thread

Thread: US Court of Appeals strikes down net neutrality... consequensces for MMOs?

Default US Court of Appeals strikes down net neutrality... consequensces for MMOs?

Today, the Court of Appeals of the DC Circuit struck down the FCC's policy of net neutrality. That is, ISPs were required to charge everyone the same fee for bandwidth usage. After today's ruling, ISPs can now charge people/companies as they please, meaning those who use more bandwidth will pay more to the ISPs.

There has already been talk about how Netflix and Google might be in trouble (Netflix in particular might see their costs go up $75 to $100 million per year the if ISPs have their way). If this stands, this will have an affect on how MMOs do business?

Perhaps in the US, in the rest of the world no. It might end up with more companies doing like Facebook, building serverparks in northen part of Europe to get unlimited bandwidth usage and "free" cold weather to chill the servers.

Just had a quick look at my bandwidth usage this month (16th of Jan) and getting close to 2,7 TB, got 1000/500Mbit/s and since as atleast 100/100Mbit/s is standard around here I can only imagine the amount of bandwidth ppl use...
    17/17 T1, 4/4 T1HM, 4/4 GA, 3/3 IG, 5/5 PB

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Ophelya99 View Post
    Today, the Court of Appeals of the DC Circuit struck down the FCC's policy of net neutrality. That is, ISPs were required to charge everyone the same fee for bandwidth usage. After today's ruling, ISPs can now charge people/companies as they please, meaning those who use more bandwidth will pay more to the ISPs.

There has already been talk about how Netflix and Google might be in trouble (Netflix in particular might see their costs go up $75 to $100 million per year the if ISPs have their way). If this stands, this will have an affect on how MMOs do business?
    Don't google own the US government? Just kidding.

MMOs use very little data anyway so they wont be affected. This might hit sites like twitch and youtube but MMO companies will be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by caitie View Post
    This might hit sites like twitch and youtube
    Give them a while and they probably end up with just having their head office in the US and everything else in other places.

Southern part of Europe do need some work opportunities so I suggest going there, however nothern part have better connections and colder weather for free AC ;)

Well, the US doesn't have VAT and it has a much higher tech base than pretty much all of Europe and Australia combined. Heck, almost 100% of the US has wired high speed broadband internet access in the most remote of areas. We even have fiber broadband on this place: http://www.rc135.com/0018/ISLAND.JPG ...Shemya, Alaska in the Aleutian islands... one of the most remote places on the entire planet.

A large reason for the increased expense of internet in many other countries has to do with infrastructure development costs and VAT taxes being passed on to consumers.

Therefore, net neutrality won't affect us in the USA so much. Companies can charge for bandwidth but unlike the telephone industry... there are a LOT more ISPs and competition will keep prices affordable.

I actually predict service rates will go down due to this.
    Last edited by Laeris; 01-15-2014 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laeris View Post
    Well, the US doesn't have VAT and it has a much higher tech base than pretty much all of Europe and Australia combined. Heck, almost 100% of the US has wired high speed broadband internet access in the most remote of areas. We even have fiber broadband on this place: http://www.rc135.com/0018/ISLAND.JPG ...Shemya, Alaska in the Aleutian islands... one of the most remote places on the entire planet.

A large reason for the increased expense of internet in many other countries has to do with infrastructure development costs and VAT taxes being passed on to consumers.

Therefore, net neutrality won't affect us in the USA so much. Companies can charge for bandwidth but unlike the telephone industry... there are a LOT more ISPs and competition will keep prices affordable.

I actually predict service rates will go down due to this.
    Take a look at the latest price checks on broadband globaly, most parts of the US pay 3-5 times more per MB then EU, often 7 times more then the IT focused countries in Asia. Most of the EU also have free bandwitch usage (not sure about Asia), I find it hard to see any resonable IT-company staying in the US if they have to pay even more then they do today.

For example I pay roughly 31 USD for my 1000/500Mbit/s, a quick check on various US sites showed me connection speeds not even reaching 100Mbit/s for double and tripple that price. Sure I pay VAT, but I also get alot of stuff for free that US inhabitants don't, in the long run I pretty much prefer being able to walk into a hospital and have them fixing me for free etc, however since most of the IT market is private VAT don't really play that huge part of price/penetration/speed.

Large part of EU and most of the IT focused countries in Asia offers both better average speeds and penetration, but also alot cheaper high speeds in the densly populated areas compared to their US counterparts.

I predict that the US customers will have to pay even more then they do today, something that ain't really optimal seeing the huge economical crisis the country is in.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Nitzi View Post
    *snip*
    I predict that the US customers will have to pay even more then they do today, something that ain't really optimal seeing the huge economical crisis the country is in.
    I wouldn't doubt that this is more true.

I am US.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Ophelya99 View Post

Not at all, the only large amount of bandwidth mmo's use is the initial download and the occasional patch, the actualy game play uses very little bandwidth at all because it's small packets of data, I'm not sure how much it is in rift but I do know that SWG, WoW, DAoC, Warhammer Online and Ultima Online (as well as some other mmo's I've played) actually use less bandwidth than you would browsing the web.
    Last edited by Asharoth; 01-16-2014 at 08:37 AM.

Soulwalker

If they don't change how this works, then I really might take up my idea of living in denmark...

I mean, its the country my dad's from, its supposedly the happiest/least corrupt country in the world (according to studies reported on by news sites though so don't quote me on this :P), and I love the atmosphere as well- been there in the past.

Of course, I might have to learn the language- which I'm really bad at- but this could be the final straw if it continues XD.

P.S- I'd prefer to not sound like I'm advertiseing denmark or anything, so I will say one bad factor I've heard- the drug situation there might be pretty bad, at least from what I've heard from family.

Also, this is me joking, sort of. Though if this is any indication of future problems with the internet and stuff, it wont be....

Ugh, now I'm worried I've over stepped myself again XD. I don't really have much practice socially, so I can't really tell if i do... sorry if so. In the future I might just not say anything I'm worried about like this :P.
    Last edited by Drake Arron; 01-17-2014 at 06:52 PM.

Glad i live in the uk internet is sweet here.

Champion

Take a look at the latest price checks on broadband globaly, most parts of the US pay 3-5 times more per MB then EU, often 7 times more then the IT focused countries in Asia. Most of the EU also have free bandwitch usage (not sure about Asia), I find it hard to see any resonable IT-company staying in the US if they have to pay even more then they do today.

For example I pay roughly 31 USD for my 1000/500Mbit/s, a quick check on various US sites showed me connection speeds not even reaching 100Mbit/s for double and tripple that price. Sure I pay VAT, but I also get alot of stuff for free that US inhabitants don't, in the long run I pretty much prefer being able to walk into a hospital and have them fixing me for free etc, however since most of the IT market is private VAT don't really play that huge part of price/penetration/speed.

Large part of EU and most of the IT focused countries in Asia offers both better average speeds and penetration, but also alot cheaper high speeds in the densly populated areas compared to their US counterparts.

I live in norway and l pay roughly 65 usd for 25/25... when i lived in the states, thats what i paid for 100/100 So idk where you live, but its very expensive here.

Quote Originally Posted by istrikeanywhere View Post
    I live in norway and l pay roughly 65 usd for 25/25... when i lived in the states, thats what i paid for 100/100 So idk where you live, but its very expensive here.
    I'm your next door neighbour, I live in Sweden. Had 100/100Mbit/s before and paid roughly 15 USD for that. Then again, everything is more expensive in Norway then in Sweden so no suprise there.

I pay 49.99 per month for unlimited fiber broadband. Includes Web hosting, Email, telephone, and so on.

Also, your hospital does not fix you for free. There's just no out of pocket expense at the time of care. I won't get into the particulars but your tax burden percentage is triple mine... and I'm not in a low income tax bracket. Meaning: You pay close to 60% of your earnings in various taxes. I pay just a bit over 20%.

I pay $2,100 per year for a full-featured healthcare plan. The last time I checked a couple of years ago, the average Briton with the means to do so pays the equivalent of $5,000 USD in taxes for a "free plan."

I don't have to wait for care and my care isn't dictated by the government. I get what I want and I don't have to schedule major or minor procedures at a date in the future. I think I'll keep mine
    Last edited by Laeris; 01-19-2014 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laeris View Post
    I pay 49.99 per month for unlimited fiber broadband. Includes Web hosting, Email, telephone, and so on.

Also, your hospital does not fix you for free. There's just no out of pocket expense at the time of care. I won't get into the particulars but your tax burden percentage is triple mine... and I'm not in a low income tax bracket. Meaning: You pay close to 60% of your earnings in various taxes. I pay just a bit over 20%.

I pay $2,100 per year for a full-featured healthcare plan. The last time I checked a couple of years ago, the average Briton with the means to do so pays the equivalent of $5,000 USD in taxes for a "free plan."

I don't have to wait for care and my care isn't dictated by the government. I get what I want and I don't have to schedule major or minor procedures at a date in the future. I think I'll keep mine
    The unlimited part might change in the recent future though, hence this thread. It's also not suprising that the US as a whole is a bit behind western EU and "IT focused" Asia speedwise, the difference in size and amount of people is huge. However you must have quite a good deal with your ISP, didn't find many ISP's in the US that even offered 100/100Mbit/s for the price I'm paying for 1000/500Mbit/s today.

You are correct, my hospital don't fix me for free, I pay tax for it to do so, same goes for the not so fortunate people, the unemployed and sick that don't pay tax for it, they get the same care as me. I don't have to wait for my care either and if I'm sick I'm free to pick a public or private hospital.

The unlimited part might change in the recent future though, hence this thread. It's also not suprising that the US as a whole is a bit behind western EU and "IT focused" Asia speedwise, the difference in size and amount of people is huge. However you must have quite a good deal with your ISP, didn't find many ISP's in the US that even offered 100/100Mbit/s for the price I'm paying for 1000/500Mbit/s today.

You are correct, my hospital don't fix me for free, I pay tax for it to do so, same goes for the not so fortunate people, the unemployed and sick that don't pay tax for it, they get the same care as me. I don't have to wait for my care either and if I'm sick I'm free to pick a public or private hospital.
    ^^Yeah off topic but this. Much happier to pay more on NHS/HSE for my fellow citizens who are less fortunate, elderly, disabled or otherwise prevented from being able to afford costly medical plans. Plus for just one tax paying parent living below a certain wage the taxes he/she pays cover his entire family and I'm certain this guy isn't covering his wife and four kids on just 2gs py. But I'm happy to pay this way knowing the tax I pay now covers those less fortunate.

As for the ISP broadband. Nah maybe wont hurt MMOs or google too much as it only hurts the pockets of Americans and to what degree if any is unknown right now.

As said maybe these companies will relocate as many have already being doing for lower operating costs in other areas why not do the same when broadband costs for companies become to high.

+ Reply to Thread