+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dallammarr

Thread: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen; new game from EQ and VG visionary Brad McQuaid

Plane Touched

Default Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen; new game from EQ and VG visionary Brad McQuaid

Brad McQuaid has launched a kickstarter for his new MMO project with his new founded company Visionary Realms Inc. Click the link and check out the kickstarter!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-of-the-fallen

I have Backed!
    Last edited by eken; 01-15-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Champion

It's going to be good!
    Altruistic Valorians - Faeblight -- *RETIRED*
    Guild Leader
    60 Warrior Main Tank
    FT 4/4 - EE 4/5 - TotDQ 4/4

Champion

Where's the love?!
    Guild Leader
    60 Warrior Main Tank

Eh, I was interested until I watched the video where he said, "...we are making a game for a focused target audience." Then, less than a minute later he listed about 10 different things where he said things like, "...most players don't want that," or, "Both! We'll have instances AND zones, arcade action combat and GCD driven combat! etcetc"

To me, it came off like he was saying they're going to be new and groundbreaking but everything he described sounds just like Secret World. Yes, I am a writer too and I like my story content... but I also know intrigue only lasts for one playthrough. AKA, the SWTOR problem. All the dialogue in the world and cool story arcs only deliver shock value and entertainment once. After that, the newness is gone and you're left holding a bunch of mechanics and skill trees. Developers have to be careful not to sink everything into story content because when its done... if you deliver a par or sub-par play experience then your MMO will be judged accordingly. Story is a finite resource. It's the wrapping paper on a present. The mechanics, the presentation, customer support and playable content will be your longevity.

So, to me it seems that this game is walking down that primrose path towards mediocrity.

Now, if you have your ear to the ground in 2014-2015... you'll know that there's about a half dozen AAA sized sandbox MMOs in heavy development. That's the future of the genre. ArcheAge will come first... but then there's EQ Next, World of Darkness and others that are more hybrids like Wildstar that will launch. The days of the themepark MMO are done.

So, I really don't know what he's expecting here. I know its a pet project... but I used to work for Flying Labs studios and I know my pet projects and how those work (1 rich guy makes a game how he wants and doesn't care how many players he has because he can... and did run it at a loss just so he can play his own MMO). I'm not saying Brad will do that (I used to work with him on EQ...I too was a writer) but I am also saying he's a bit like me... old school and stuck in our ways. Luckily for me I was a sandbox player.
    Last edited by Laeris; 01-21-2014 at 10:28 PM.

Champion

the updates keep coming, and it still sounds fantastic
    Guild Leader
    60 Warrior Main Tank

Champion

bunch of addons to the normal kickstarter pledges have been added for more cool stuff!
    Guild Leader
    60 Warrior Main Tank

designing a city with that detail would cost them more than half their budget alone, lol

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/...jpg?1390549320

Champion

19 days left on kickstarter, still needing more backers and support to get this MMO off the ground. Old school MMO players looking for a challenge, get on board and help spread the word!
    Guild Leader
    60 Warrior Main Tank

There is a significant downside to the fact that it seems as if it's going to be released on a monthly subscription basis only. I think with all of the FTP models, that's a mistake.

Subs should always be offered, and perhaps having a dedicated server or two JUST for subs would make as a pretty good bargaining chip. Perhaps do like RIFT does, too, and limit future class content (souls must be purchased, the rest of the content is reachable). The majority of the content should be included with the base game. I don't even have a problem with the game costing money to purchase, but as a one time fee.

But forcing people to pay for the sub is going to be a tough sell nowadays.

It may or may not work, but it's definitely a big obstacle with today's MMO landscape.

Sword of Telara

I agree to an extent, sub based games are a thing of the past, BUT with one caveat, sub based games in big name IP's such as Elder Scrolls Online, I can subs that working for them just like it did for WoW, but not on unknown or new IP's and especially not those that need to ask the public for funding.
    Last edited by Asharoth; 02-04-2014 at 08:19 AM.

+ Reply to Thread