+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ghostcrawler joins the League of Legends team

Rift Disciple

Default Ghostcrawler joins the League of Legends team

So according to this article at massively.com it looks like Ghostcrawler has left World of Warcraft and has joined the Riot/League of Legends crew.

Do you think this will help or hurt LoL?

Neither, I guess: LoL's success depends on factors wholly independent from a single man's skills.
    Last edited by Goodberry; 01-15-2014 at 04:27 PM.
    Never give a sword to a man who can't dance (Confucius)

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Nazjin View Post
    So according to this article at massively.com it looks like Ghostcrawler has left World of Warcraft and has joined the Riot/League of Legends crew.

MMO-Champ user forums had this first. A user was stalking his LinkedIn profile.

Blizzard have a hippy way of doing it where they make the decisions collectively so no one person was to blame but because Gregg Street was the one who tweeted and communicated with players he was always the bad guy.

My guess is that at LoL he will be making the decisions so maybe that's why he left Blizzard. He has a yacht so I doubt it had anything to do with not being paid much at Blizzard. He clearly must have something that Riot want as they must be paying him a significant amount to leave Blizzard.

Rift Master

I suspect his condescending forum rant before the crack community managers told him to shut up is what drove people bonkers. I do agree though that it was the company that drove that game into the ground and that perhaps Greg was just the man on point.

I guess Street was made the fall guy for some of the game's decline. Truth be told, no one person can turn things around. It just too old a game. They missed the chance years ago after WOTLK, to come with a WOW2, so the decline is just inevitable.

It seemed to me that Street worked pretty hard at his job. He seemed like a pretty intelligent person to me. I still find it bizarre though how a biologist with no experience at all, can change professions, and break into the gaming industry the way he did, with no prior experience. In a few short years to find himself as lead designer for the biggest MMO game in the market at the time is pretty impressive.

All I know about this comes from the LoL forums. Morello (the lead game developer) is but one guy. When they announced bringing Ghostcrawler on-board, they said it was because LoL was too big a project for one person to continue doing. So he and Morello are sharing the position in order to give Morello some time off.

We have to remember that at any given hour of the day, there's between 14 and 18 million people playing League. There's over 50 million unique players who play LoL. That's a playerbase almost 5x larger than WoW. LoL is huge in gaming terms and that's why they wanted a 2nd game development lead.

LoL is -the- biggest game on the market right now.

Shield of Telara WriteThemWrong's Avatar

I love how in the gaming industry it's perfectly normal to call people by their usernames, almost professional even. Just another reason to get into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazjin View Post

HURT :P
    more words
    Chrish @ Wolfsbane

+ Reply to Thread