+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Scott Hartsman teases us poor Rifters

Default Scott Hartsman teases us poor Rifters

Seems ArcheAge has gone to 'friends & Family' English Beta, guess who was playing it all weekend

http://i.imgur.com/EnJf4dT.jpg

Just to rub salt into the wounds

We caught up with CEO Scott Hartsman to talk about the milestone and all the other things Trion’s been working on with ArcheAge... as well as when we could possibly see alpha and beta expand to other testers. Read on!

Scott began by telling me that he gets about one week of truly guilt-free game marathon time a year. “No joke?” he said, “I spent about 75% of my vacation time just playing ArcheAge. Not kidding, honestly.” And it’s like that across the company. They all knew what sort of game AA was when they decided to publish it in the West. They knew it was a huge, sprawling sandbox with an incredible amount of things to do. But what they didn’t realize was just how much that point would be driven home once translation was in place. The UI is now about 80% readable, and much of the quest text has been given at least a first pass at translation (with just a few here or there still in Korean). As with any translation, the first pass is a sort of a “raw, make it English” pass, and now the focus is on refining it all and making it ring true
    Full story >>> http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...ha-Begins.html

Interesting times lie ahead, now just to get someone at Trion to make me a friend and gain access

Shield of Telara

I can't wait to try this game out

i'm your friend, right trion?

Plane Touched

animal husbandry and outlaws? player justice system? I might join just to watch it collapse under hordes of farmville carebear gank crews

RIFT Guide Writer RoughRaptorsOld's Avatar

ArcehAge is shaping up to be the quintessential sandbox, a game many have long been waiting for.
    /jelly

WTB sandbox MMO

Prophet of Telara

Games like AA do terrible in the west. Wish Trion would do their homework be for wasting more money on things that will flop.

Every Korean MMO that gets published in the west ends up flopping, Sorry those types of Korean grind MMOs never ever did will in the Western market.

It looks worse then Aion and Tera. Both of those games went FTP and died faster than the flu spreads.

The west wants games like Rift or WoW for MMOS. I'm really mind boggled on Trion's decisions as of late. They don't make any real sense. No one enjoys Korean based MMOs in the west simply due to the RNG factor Korean developers put in and the grind.

Those type of games do well in Asia because, South Korea has gaming laws, they require a cash shop and a pay to play. Koreans pay by the hour for MMOs. China also has similar laws. Those regions enjoy that type of gameplay. I been to South Korea several times for SC2 events.
    It will never be popular in the west.
    Last edited by DriftinARift; 01-14-2014 at 01:38 PM.

I am very much looking forward to this game.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRaptors View Post
    /jelly

WTB sandbox MMO
    tried eve?

yeah, I'm not looking for a real sandbox mmo for a reason.

Trion has such a great history with PvP that I know deep down I can feel the genuineness of Hartsmans reply's as I read them. I know hes not simply trying to hype a game with his name on it. I'm REALLY looking forward to playing it.
    Zoartype@Deepwood

RIFT Guide Writer RoughRaptorsOld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    tried eve?

yeah, I'm not looking for a real sandbox mmo for a reason.
    No, EVE isn't my type of game, but I have very fond memories of SWG.

Quote Originally Posted by zartosht View Post
    animal husbandry and outlaws? player justice system? I might join just to watch it collapse under hordes of farmville carebear gank crews
    If they're a gank crew, are they really carebears anymore?

</eternal eve questions>

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRaptors View Post
    No, EVE isn't my type of game, but I have very fond memories of SWG.
    It's a great game. But it made me realize just how much I need a driving storyline to follow, rather than basically a game where I have to find stuff to do.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 01-14-2014 at 02:43 PM.

Finally some news.

Been playing the Korean version for a few months now. It's very good, but I don't see it doing well enough in the rest of the world, launching this late.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Phreakuency View Post
    Finally some news.

Been playing the Korean version for a few months now. It's very good, but I don't see it doing well enough in the rest of the world, launching this late.
    Pretty much this, Only very very very small amount of people in the West enjoy playing Korean style MMOS.

But since Trion is only translating it, probably won't cost them to much to maintain it as the information will always come from Korea.

Just like NCSOFT with Aion (failed failed game in the west) Where they got all the information from NCsoft Korea. Such a fail system though.

Those games never worked in the west at all, don't see why Trion would even bother, unless they are just going to set up a cash shop with it for some easy profit off the Korean RNG/Grind.

Trion just trying to do to much at once, but they are ignoring the only successful game they launched. Come on Trion, Rift is what made your company even get attention, more resources towards Rift gogo.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Emofanboy View Post
    Pretty much this, Only very very very small amount of people in the West enjoy playing Korean style MMOS.

But since Trion is only translating it, probably won't cost them to much to maintain it as the information will always come from Korea.

Just like NCSOFT with Aion (failed failed game in the west) Where they got all the information from NCsoft Korea. Such a fail system though.

Those games never worked in the west at all, don't see why Trion would even bother, unless they are just going to set up a cash shop with it for some easy profit off the Korean RNG/Grind.

Trion just trying to do to much at once, but they are ignoring the only successful game they launched. Come on Trion, Rift is what made your company even get attention, more resources towards Rift gogo.
    I dont understand most of what you said. First trion isn't just translating it, they said this a few times. I am sure you can google an article or two.

Also, what do you mean they are ignoring their own successful game? If you mean Rift? that makes zero sense and I can't see the logic. They update every single week. They released tons of new stuff the last 2 months. They have a fairly huge 2.6 right around the corner and are also working on 3.0. In any normal person view it seems they are doing a TON of stuff, far far far from ignoring.

So what are they ignoring?

they are not going to release a korean game 100% the way it was for korea. The same as the russian version didn't release a 100% replica.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast