+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New rig configuration I might buy

Default New rig configuration I might buy

This is the computer i'm probably gonna buy/build just curious what everyone thinks on price range i should be able to acquire it for and any suggestions on components:

I have a brand new I7 930 custom build that runs like a dream with anything you throw at it. All my computers are built with care, and attention to detail with performance and aesthetic appeal in mind. The details on this system are as follows.

The Chassis on this computer is a Cooler Master HAF 932 Black Edition. This is one of the best cases you can get in terms of cooling performance. It looks good. It's practical, and there is almost nothing you can't add to this chassis. The heart and soul of this computer is a Gigabyte X58A-UD5 motherboard with an I7 930 processor that has been overclocked to 3.8GHz. This is a high end motherboard that provides stability, performance, and future proof features that you won't find on cheaper alternatives. Such features include multiple slots for SLI or Crossfire GPU configurations, USB 3.0, SATA 3.0, and overclock features in the BIOS. With that said, the I7 930 processor with hyperthreading that has been overclocked to 3.8GHz with a voltage of 1.25. That's effectively 8 cores @ 3.8GHz. These speeds will crush anything you through at it. The processor is kept cool with the excellent cooling capabilities of the HAF 932 full tower and the after market Scythe Mugen Revision 2 heatsink. At 3.8GHz, this processor is running comfortably faster than Intels I7 975 chip. The processor has been tested for stability using prime 95 and is rock solid stable with maximum core temps peaking in the mid 60'sC.

To compliment the power behind this turbo charged processor, there is 6GB of OCZ Gold Series RAM operating at 1600MHz. There are 3 more open slots for RAM and in all, this motherboard can accommodate up to 24GB of RAM.

The high performance CPU and RAM combination is complimented with Nvidia's latest GTX 470 graphics card with 1.28GB of high performance GDDR5 memory. A 15% overclock has been applied to the GPU with the MSI Afterburner Utility. The GPU fan profile has been set so that this card never exceeds 85C under full load. With the overclock applied to this card, you will get performance and framerates that are at par with the GTX 480, Nvidia's best card. I have tested this card, with the overclock, on Crysis (perhaps the most demanding game ever made), and it runs the game beautifully around 40fps on "very high" settings with 16X anti-aliasing on a 27" monitor at 1920X1200 HD resolution. This essentially means that if gaming is your passion, any other game you play, this card will crush it. I have also installed Crysis and Call of Duty Modern Warfare on this system so that you can experience it's gaming capabilities right out of the box if you wish.

Everything is thoroughly powered with an Rosewill Libertas 800W modular power supply. The hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB with a 200GB partition set up for the OS, and a 1.2TB partition reserved for personal data. With this arrangement, as long as you store personal files on the data partion, the OS will run fast and efficient indefinitely. The operating system on this computer is Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. Lastly, the primary disk drive is a Sony multi-recorder DVD drive.

All in all, this computer is built with power in all areas,and balance in mind. There is no single component that is a weak link in the chain so to say. This computer has the power to satisfy any task you throw at it. Whether that be high definition gaming, video encoding, or demanding productivity applications.

With the purchase of this computer, you will receive all the original hardware boxes and literature that can be used for registering the individual components with their respective manufacturers to activate warranties, etc... I also offer technical phone support for as long as you own the computer. I love building computers the way they are supposed to be built, and it brings me great satisfaction to see a happy customer using a powerful computer that they will never find in a big box store, or from any other OEM producer.

Please let me know thoughts and concerns or suggestions if you guys can....

Quote Originally Posted by Qualzek View Post
    words
    This seems a touch imbalanced if you ask me. While graphics are 'enough', you've gone a decent amount into the overkill range on the CPU. Me, I'd pull back to a socket 1156, Core i5 760, mainstream motherboard, probably go 4 gig, possibly 8, and go with dual GTX 460s and Nvidia surround with 3 monitors. I'd much rather have graphical punch and enjoyment level than going overkill on CPU power that won't be used with games for several years. Plus, the advantages of socket 1366 are wasted if you aren't going to go SLI. The slight SLI boost and minor overclocking advantages are the only reason to choose it over 1156. However, since something like a Core i5 750 is plenty of power for gaming these days without overclocking I see no reason to go with a (typically) more expensive socket unless you are doing so for the separate hobby of overclocking. I see no gaming advantage in spending higher amounts of money on it compared to something like more on graphics and multiple monitors.

With the purchase of this computer, you will receive all the original hardware boxes and literature that can be used for registering the individual components with their respective manufacturers to activate warranties, etc... I also offer technical phone support for as long as you own the computer. I love building computers the way they are supposed to be built, and it brings me great satisfaction to see a happy customer using a powerful computer that they will never find in a big box store, or from any other OEM producer.
    Emmm... I'm confused. Most of your post sounds like you are talking about specs for a system you are thinking about building, yet this paragraph seems to imply you are building the system to sell to people here. Which is it? I'm pretty sure using the boards to generate sales would be against the agreement terms of the forums.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

No sorry I posted this from another post from the guy I may have build for me I just copied it and asked for price suggestions so I could compare the price I've been set in front of me with the prices other people think it is worth. I have built it through newegg and my newegg price is higher than his so it seems like a fair deal..... I do like your suggestions on the components though I'm just trying to get the best gaming comp for my money that will last me awhile....

What would you think if I just added an additional 460 in SLI and went with the monitors I kind of want to stick with the powerful processors so it will last me awhile, but I may take your advice and back down some to the i5
    Last edited by Qualzek; 10-06-2010 at 12:22 PM.

Ditch the Rosewill psu, they're cheap and fail. I'd also pick up an SSD or at least one of the new WD Velociraptors. Instead of the gtx470, Get two gtx460's. It will cost a little more but once they're OCed they will be overkill for anything coming out for years to come. I'd also get a prolimatech megahalem cpu cooler instead of the scythe. The HAF 932 is a great case (using one currently) but why not get the updated HAF X ?

Quote Originally Posted by eavy_metal View Post
    Ditch the Rosewill psu, they're cheap and fail. I'd also pick up an SSD or at least one of the new WD Velociraptors. Instead of the gtx470, Get two gtx460's. It will cost a little more but once they're OCed they will be overkill for anything coming out for years to come. I'd also get a prolimatech megahalem cpu cooler instead of the scythe. The HAF 932 is a great case (using one currently) but why not get the updated HAF X ?
    I do like the plan with the 2 460s instead of the 470 ive been asking people what the best idea for a video card combo would be.... and alson on the HAF X ..... havent looked much at that cpu cooler ill have to take a look at it...

thanks for all the helpful info

Do you think the ATI cards are better than the Nvid cards?

I think 2 460's is better than a 5870 but not better than a 5970. Don't quote me on that though. Regardless a 470 is more than enough to run Rift on max settings. If you haven't bought anything yet, I'd for sure get a better PSU , a sound card too if don't have one already and then get a better HD or even an SSD.

I prefer Nvidia just because I've always used them but either brand will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Qualzek View Post
    Do you think the ATI cards are better than the Nvid cards?
    Typically it's a Coke vs. Pepsi thing, but you may want to skim the advantages on each at my site. For the current generation there are a few different features on each side that may impact your enjoyment.
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast

Quote Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
    Typically it's a Coke vs. Pepsi thing, but you may want to skim the advantages on each at my site. For the current generation there are a few different features on each side that may impact your enjoyment.
    ^ They render things differently is all. Yes, it's noticeable. Just stick with what your like.

Edit: Basically when building..if you're going to go all out. Then by all means do so. If you want low end, then make sure everything is low end, etc. Otherwise your lower end components bottleneck the high end.
    Last edited by eavy_metal; 10-09-2010 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eavy_metal View Post
    ^ They render things differently is all.
    Basically, but as mentioned on my site there are other difference to consider if you are doing more than sticking a single card into a computer and hooking it up to a single monitor. (AMD: Crossfire, Eyefinity. Nvidia: SLI, Surround, 3D Vision, PhysX.)

+ Reply to Thread