+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Laeris
  • 1 Post By irkiz

Thread: FPS question

Default FPS question

So, I am using a GeForce GTX 660 Ti and an i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz with 8GB RAM.

With max settings in Rift, I can get a maximum FPS of 60 and a minimum of 25. This seems like a huge spread. Any idea what can help me prevent the FPS from dropping low in locations with lots of people?

Do I need to upgrade to an i7 or get more RAM or get an SSD?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    Pantz@Hailol
    Asia's best cleric

Quote Originally Posted by irkiz View Post

With max settings in Rift, I can get a maximum FPS of 60 and a minimum of 25. This seems like a huge spread. Any idea what can help me prevent the FPS from dropping low in locations with lots of people?

If you are only getting a minimum of 25, you haven't done a full CQ map yet. I don't know anyone who gets better than 10 or 12 FPS in an 80 man fight... and I for one have a >$10,000 rig and I get around 8 fps in a heated CQ match.

To answer your question at the end.... no, no, and no. Won't help much as along as Trion is running on budget server architecture and an unoptimized engine.

Sure, getting a new i7 with a large amount of shared cache will give you oh... 3-5 average FPS over what you have. The SSD... won't affect your FPS any at all really... maybe reduce your load times. More RAM will do absolutley nothing for you in any way whatsoever (in Rift or anything else unless you're into professional computing where you can actually use that much RAM for things like 3D modeling).

So, to summarize... you could spend another thousand dollars and get 3-5 FPS... maybe. Depends on how much 3-5 FPS is worth to you and if $1,000 is a lot of money or couch change.
    Last edited by Laeris; 12-31-2013 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laeris View Post
    If you are only getting a minimum of 25, you haven't done a full CQ map yet. I don't know anyone who gets better than 10 or 12 FPS in an 80 man fight... and I for one have a >$10,000 rig and I get around 8 fps in a heated CQ match.

To answer your question at the end.... no, no, and no. Won't help much as along as Trion is running on budget server architecture and an unoptimized engine.

Sure, getting a new i7 with a large amount of shared cache will give you oh... 3-5 average FPS over what you have. The SSD... won't affect your FPS any at all really... maybe reduce your load times. More RAM will do absolutley nothing for you in any way whatsoever (in Rift or anything else unless you're into professional computing where you can actually use that much RAM for things like 3D modeling).

So, to summarize... you could spend another thousand dollars and get 3-5 FPS... maybe. Depends on how much 3-5 FPS is worth to you and if $1,000 is a lot of money or couch change.
    Ahh. The only CQ I do is the first extractor to maintain my CQ power so I can't really tell.

Anyway, there is nothing I can do except hope that Trion optimizes the game better? That's sad...

Thanks anyway.
    Pantz@Hailol
    Asia's best cleric

Rift is F2P for a reason. It's a great game but corners were cut and it has problems on the tech side of the game as a result.

That seams like a good frame rate compared to what i get, normally 20-40 on mid settings.
    I have also recently purchased a 660Ti, upgrading from a 6770 and hope to see a frame rate improvement in this game

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by irkiz View Post

You might want to read through this thread.
    It opened my eyes,

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...mizations.html

Be well,

Maxmillian V. HonorBound

Shield of Telara

Can you please explain what a "budget server architecture" means? I don't understand why this would impact FPS or even what it means.

I have a $400 dollar rig and I don't drop under 20 fps. Sounds like someone got ripped off
    Even free cost too much now

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Credo View Post
    I have a $400 dollar rig and I don't drop under 20 fps. Sounds like someone got ripped off
    I got myself around $ 600 computer set up from good parts and maybe a bit old but still kicking and i got from 6 to 30 fps depending on location. I'm playing on medium settings so i have no idea how can you manage score above 20 fps in Sanctum or Meridian for example unless you play on minimal settings.

It pretty much doesn't matter what hardware you use to play the game. Any rig that you can build today for $800 will play Rift pretty much the same as my $4500 rig.

Rift is HORRIBLY optimized, doesn't take advantage of an i7 processor (heck, it doesn't even take full advantage of an i5), and it certainly doesn't take advantage of multiple video cards or more memory.

So an i5, with a $35 aftermarket air cooler OC'd to 4.4GHz with a GTX 660 or better and 4GB of memory will by and large play just as well as an i7, with a $1000 water cooling system, OC'd to 5GHz and a pair of GTX 780Ti's and 32GB of memory.
    Retired from the forum community 12/19/2017

I too have a very expensive computer I built myself. I have probably the best of everything but in CQ it stays around 14 when encountering 80 plus players
    “Why should I not hate mine enemies―if I "love" them does that not place me at their mercy?”
    ― Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

Quote Originally Posted by Yate View Post
    I got myself around $ 600 computer set up from good parts and maybe a bit old but still kicking and i got from 6 to 30 fps depending on location. I'm playing on medium settings so i have no idea how can you manage score above 20 fps in Sanctum or Meridian for example unless you play on minimal settings.
    I play on high with shadows off.
    I generally sit around 40-45fps in TB even when it's busy
    Even free cost too much now

Quote Originally Posted by Credo View Post
    Some people lie too

+ Reply to Thread