+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Deeew
  • 1 Post By Deeew

Thread: Happy Festivus!

  1. #1
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    274

    Default Happy Festivus!

    I think it's time we had change of spirit in in GD to recognize the joy of the holiday season

    And so in the tradition of Festivus, let us begin the airing of grievances against Trion!

  2. #2
    Ascendant Wonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zartosht View Post
    I think it's time we had change of spirit in in GD to recognize the joy of the holiday season

    And so in the tradition of Festivus, let us begin the airing of grievances against Trion!
    I know you are trying to be cute here, but seriously... someone makes up a fake holiday and those who are easily amused decide to celebrate it... like peas on a vibrating drum you hop to the beat of an air guitar.
    So in celebration of a fake holiday invented by fake characters on a show designed to mock those who laughed at it's antics... I salute the classic air head, for it's those that make the world what it is... all screwed up.

    I Rift, therefore I am.

  3. #3
    RIFT Guide Writer Deeew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,183

    Default

    Woah woah woah, settle down tiger....Fake to some is very real to others. Festivus is a real holiday celebrated by the family of the writer of the show, Daniel O'Keefe, as early as 1966, and celebrated by atheist due to its lack of religious significance. Festivus brought families closer together during times of family tension.

    You call Festivus fake, I call Christmas fake.... Deal?
    Those that can, do. Those that can't, write guides on the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    In all seriousness, we don't expect everyone to still be playing SFP

  4. #4
    Ascendant Wonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boodie View Post
    Woah woah woah, settle down tiger....Fake to some is very real to others. Festivus is a real holiday celebrated by the family of the writer of the show, Daniel O'Keefe, as early as 1966, and celebrated by atheist due to its lack of religious significance. Festivus brought families closer together during times of family tension.

    You call Festivus fake, I call Christmas fake.... Deal?
    No deal.. .when it becomes a federal holiday and not a joke on those gullible enough to celebrate it, then you might have a case. Creating an alternate holiday to mock others celebration is at best unkind, at worst, offensive.
    I Rift, therefore I am.

  5. #5
    RIFT Guide Writer Deeew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,183

    Default

    I am offended that you say my holiday is not legit but yours is. Just because you celebrate the birth of a baby carpenter does not mean that it is the only legit holiday during the month of December. This is a Festivus for the rest of us!
    Those that can, do. Those that can't, write guides on the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    In all seriousness, we don't expect everyone to still be playing SFP

  6. #6
    Ascendant Boase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,696

    Default

    Santa is white.
    T for Trinity
    42k Achievement Points Club
    I has stream https://www.twitch.tv/boase Add me on GW2 Boase.6204 or Bnet Boase!#1862

  7. #7
    Rift Master PaulieGatto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    622

    Default

    Inb4FeatsofStrength

    Ghostwheel@Vigil

  8. #8
    Rift Disciple thinice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonk View Post
    No deal.. .when it becomes a federal holiday and not a joke on those gullible enough to celebrate it, then you might have a case. Creating an alternate holiday to mock others celebration is at best unkind, at worst, offensive.
    So it has to be a federal holiday for it to be real? The fact that people do celebrate it doesn't make it real enough? The fact that people find it unkind or offensive kind of proves the whole point to those that don't celebrate Hanukkah or Christmas. So only Christians and Jews have the right to feel put upon in this country?

    Personally I don't "celebrate" any of the crap because the HOLIDAYS are a load of crap and lies anyway.

  9. #9
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boodie View Post
    Woah woah woah, settle down tiger....Fake to some is very real to others. Festivus is a real holiday celebrated by the family of the writer of the show, Daniel O'Keefe, as early as 1966, and celebrated by atheist due to its lack of religious significance. Festivus brought families closer together during times of family tension.

    You call Festivus fake, I call Christmas fake.... Deal?
    I know that I'm new. This is my first post, hopefully of many. I also realize this is a bit of a necro. I read the forum rules about necroing, and I'm not even entirely sure that I am within the bounds of the rules here. So, for a first post, I'm wading into something that is obviously controversial, and perhaps flirting with rule breaking. That all said, I feel compelled to reply to this post. I hope those that read it will understand.

    My problem with the above attitude is that it seems ignorant to itself. Like so many social convictions popular among youth today, it fights a perceived injustice head on like a train, while at the same time not aware of how brash it is. This is best explained by an example.

    Let's say that there was a movement within the United States to have us brought back under Brittish rule. Odd example, I know, but bear with me. These people that are fighting American Independence, believe with their entire hearts that they should be under Brittish rule. When the 4th of July comes around, of course these people wouldn't celebrate Independence Day. However, these people want to celebrate like everyone else, so they come up with a new holiday, called "Fireworks Day". They greet each other saying "Happy Fireworks Day", and really, they greet everyone by saying that. But, one would have to acknowledge that by saying "Happy Fireworks Day", they aren't just celebrating their own made up holiday. They are simultaneously communicating a great deal of other things, although not verbally. That's where the rub is. To say that those people are just celebrating a day of their own is to feign ignorance of the greater issue, and rather childishly. When that person says "Happy Fireworks Day", they are also saying, "I don't believe in your independence, I reject America's independence, and I reject your holiday celebrating it". It isn't just a holiday for something, but is rather a holiday against something.

    Christmas, for many, is a celebration of a belief in something. And that's the difference. Festivus is a celebration that one does not believe in something. When you say "Happy Festivus" you are saying "I am glad I don't believe what you believe". But that's not what's really bad about it. Sure, it's negativity, but what really rubs me isn't that people believe differently, or are happy to believe differently, and take pride in telling me so. What really bothers me is that they aren't honest enough to admit that's what's really going on. Instead it's "I'm just celebrating my day, you celebrate yours". We both know it's something against what I believe in. Neither one of us is dumb. Why not just be honest that that's what it is? If you are going to celebrate how wrong you believe I am, don't do it passive agressively, and have a holiday dedicated to passive aggressivness. Instead be as bold as we both know you want to be. Say you think I'm bonkers. Say you think my holiday is whack and what it stands for is fictitious.

    I can respect honesty. There's simply too little of it in today's world.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts