+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thehidden truths of Zam, WoWhead, IGE, Allakhazam, Thottbot.

Default Thehidden truths of Zam, WoWhead, IGE, Allakhazam, Thottbot.

I'm amazed so few people know that so many bigger MMO sites are connected to a few individuals. I post this for people who visit the sites, developers or for fansites and simply don't know that all of these sites have a very shady past and very shady men who control them. That's not to say don't use them, just realise who they are when you do.

http://www.azzor.com/article/2006/05...-gold-industry

Well, have fun reading.
    Last edited by Aurelie; 10-04-2010 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelie View Post
    I'm amazed so few people know that so many bigger MMO sites are connected to a few individuals. I post this for people who visit the sites, developers or for fansites and simply don't know that all of these sites have a very shady past and very shady men who control them. That's not to say don't use them, just realise who they are when you do.

http://www.azzor.com/article/2006/05...-gold-industry

Well, have fun reading.
    Definitly an interesting read. It seems like you can't go anywhere in the MMO world and not run into that company. Not sure what to make of Zam and the Rift interviews now

Very interesting. he did a lot of research for that.

(but doesn't anyone proof-read or use spell check???)
    Dual Targeting - The Targeting System of the Modern MMO

If the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was made by today's MMO designers, the first 8 hours would be condensed into 30 minutes, and the last hour would be stretched out over 8.5 hours. It would be all about 'The Ending' and not about 'The Journey'.

Default WoWhead

I noticed the changes to WoWhead and heard about the moves over there and we all noticed when Thott went rogue. It's just a shame that people want so badly to push forward in a game that they would use hard earned money to buy accounts/leveling/objects. I think Pay2Play has definitely taken a bit of a bite out of that sort of thing in some games, but it's still apparently a horribly viable business in other games.

I shudder to think about the seedy nastiness that can go on behind some of these gaming sites and the kind of deals people are duped into thinking they can get an edge on others...
    When life kicks you down, you get back up and kick that bastard in the fork. Man, what a jerk...

Interesting to read more of the story. Anyone who was around in early Vanguard fansite days remembers the drama around IGE buying up fansites. (Me especially...).

Thanks for sharing!
    Retired.

Rift Master

i remember a lot of this things. After Monkey-Buisness was sold almost every bigger Fanside / Infoside got a "nice"offer from Yantis. Respect to those who didnt sell (like the steelwarrior, the safehouse and gucomics)

Interesting read (although I would've prefered the author to give more details on his sources). Really puts these gaming sites into perspective.

Started with EQ, and currently helping out on the Telarapedia while waiting for Rift!

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Timrum View Post
    i remember a lot of this things. After Monkey-Buisness was sold almost every bigger Fanside / Infoside got a "nice"offer from Yantis. Respect to those who didnt sell (like the steelwarrior, the safehouse and gucomics)
    It was a horrible time seeing one after the other get eaten up. I was a regular on EQBeastlords and when that got bought up it split the community, with half of us setting up home at the newly created The Beastlords Den, myself included. There was a great deal of animosity, not just between us at the den and Yantis, but between us and the BL's at the original, now Yantis owned site. It's hard to put it into words, people turning on each other who were once great friends, people we shared information on tricks and tips, levelling guides, gear guides, techniques etc etc. We didn't know each other irl, but the BL community was pretty tight. Not anymore. All gone, replaced by BL's accusing others of being traitors, of over-reacting, of splitting up the community needlessly, of bowing to Yantis's boot heel. Everyone at each others throats. A horrible time.

MMO newbies missed all of that. Gold sales is now pretty much an accepted part of the MMO industry. Yantis won, we lost. I'm still proud that we created the Den in response to Yantis. But sometimes, it feels the fights we fought were for nothing. And I wonder was it ever worth it.

God, and I remember when Allakhazam was young with micro-EQ updates.

first off, that article was written in 2006.
    Affinity Media (the owner of the ZAM Network) isn't part of IGE anymore.
    plus from ZAM.com site :

Staff List
    ZAM Network

Management

Steve Bannon CEO
    Matt Smith COO/CFO Since 2005
    Ryan “Draknorr” Bohmann President Since 2006

That being said, I hardly liked allakhazam back in the day, and when they renamed themself Zam, with an awfull website that isn't respecting HTML and website coding, I hardly ever went there.

I am aware of this fact. The change of the sites when they were taken over was very obvious. Gold selling does earn a solid profit. I strongly oppose it, but in the end it is a very well working business model. Money wins arguments 9 times out of 10....
    ELDER of TELARA

Proud member of NEMESIS

Prophet of Telara

I remember when the news hit the web that Allakazam had been bought out by IGE. There was hell directed at the site from everyone with thread after thread of abuse. I added what I thought in my sig and stopped using the site.

I also remember the effect of IGE on the Vanguard pre-community. There was a time when official affiliates were being bought out as of IGE's attempt to disrupt Sigil. I can't recall any names but I remember someone coming on the Vanguard forums and apologising that he had a roof to fix and bills to pay so he wasn't able to turn down IGE's huge offer for his site. He understandably stopped being an affiliate straight away but I udnerstood his dilemma and always saw IGE as the villain of the piece.

I hope with all my heart and soul that Trion do something to try and beat these bastards. I depise the gold selling industry and anyone connected with it. I have always hoped that those people I call friends don't enter in to it because I don't know what I would say to them.

IGE, gold-sellers and all associated with this despicable facet of the MMO genre should be despised and distanced by anyone who enjoys these games.

C'mon Trion, we beg of you to be hard as nails in the face of this crap. Ban, ban, ban...before you ask questions. If people come to you with a damn good answer for your accusations then they can have their account back. People will get the message that Rift:Planes of Telara does not welcome cheats.
    We Were The Defiant

Then Rift went Trivial and Dull

From what I can see, best way is to throw something in their eula or terms of use that prohibits it, and take proper legal action wherever they can. Fearing legal action, most won't attempt to engage in RMT. Internally, they just need to keep vigilant and ban people accordingly.

Allakhazam was so much better than Zam, and I'm appalled to learn they are/were owned by gold sellers.

+ Reply to Thread