+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gamer seeking RL friends

Soulwalker

Default Gamer seeking RL friends

I expect a lot of harassment about this post, but i am going to give it a go anyway.

Now before the laughing begins yes, I have some friends. Not very many and most of them are in my fiance's friend circle rather than mine. None of which share a love of PC/MMO/VIDEO gaming. They are Larpers or D&D gamers, which i also enjoy but am not a part of their games. I am 27 and I live in the Finger Lakes region of NY state, and i am putting out a call to any Gamer geeks in my area who like me need more RL friends to hang out with. Waiting for Rift/GW2/SWTOR without anyone to actually talk to about it is seriously killing me. I scour the internet for new information and so much exciting stuff has been happening and when i check my AIM list to talk to someone anyone i realize, not one person on my list would really care. My fiance tries to show enthusiasm but honestly she couldn't care either way.

Let the trolling begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Davian View Post
    I expect a lot of harassment about this post, but i am going to give it a go anyway.

Now before the laughing begins yes, I have some friends. Not very many and most of them are in my fiance's friend circle rather than mine. None of which share a love of PC/MMO/VIDEO gaming. They are Larpers or D&D gamers, which i also enjoy but am not a part of their games. I am 27 and I live in the Finger Lakes region of NY state, and i am putting out a call to any Gamer geeks in my area who like me need more RL friends to hang out with. Waiting for Rift/GW2/SWTOR without anyone to actually talk to about it is seriously killing me. I scour the internet for new information and so much exciting stuff has been happening and when i check my AIM list to talk to someone anyone i realize, not one person on my list would really care. My fiance tries to show enthusiasm but honestly she couldn't care either way.

Let the trolling begin.
    I know the feeling m8... Despite im be much more younger, still very hard to find that kind of friends :/

Hey, I wish you luck with this, and I also want to say that I admire your courage in posting.

Yeah, you may get some harassment, but just ignore them.

If you find even one friend in your area it will be worth it.
    Dual Targeting - The Targeting System of the Modern MMO

If the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was made by today's MMO designers, the first 8 hours would be condensed into 30 minutes, and the last hour would be stretched out over 8.5 hours. It would be all about 'The Ending' and not about 'The Journey'.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyde View Post
    I admire your courage in posting.
    Indeed. You know, you could try local gaming cafes. There's often group events that give ppl a chance to break the ice and get over the weird/awkward social stuff, plus you're already on the level since it's an environment with common ground (gaming). I found this one on a quick google.

http://www.cyberstormgaming.com/

Ask around at your local GameStop or on craigslist about local LAN events, etc. I can tell you for sure though, you gotta get out at some point if you want to meet some quality ppl! =) GL!
    - -
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Anonymous Awesomehead

Quote Originally Posted by Vorlis View Post
    Indeed. You know, you could try local gaming cafes.
    Yeah I was gonna suggest that. There are some regulars that go to the one near me (though I don't go there anymore myself really.)

You can also meet peeps at game launches if you have local stores that do midnight launches.

Friends are tough to make though. I've been trying to make new friends for years and haven't gotten any yet. Most peeps want there to be something more in common than 'this guy who's a random passer by has a few common interests.'
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Eyeh. Truth be told, people kinda suck anyhow.

http://randomesq.com/wp-content/uplo...nusissmart.jpg
    - -
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Anonymous Awesomehead

Join a good Guild, the OMG group is pretty close. We fly out to meet eachother at least once a year, whether it be PAX or St Patty's Brewfest. But when i get home, its nice to be able to log on to vent and chat with my buddies. Don't join a guild for their gaming properties, join it for their values.
    Proud member of OMG I'm Drunk since January 30th 2007

I have the highest respect of OPs courage! Still, I would suggest a mix of friends, some related to PC and gaming and some not.
    ELDER of TELARA

Proud member of NEMESIS

To the OP:

If you do manage to make a few local friends that are also interested in MMORPGs, please let us know how you did it.

I think there are quite a few of us in the same boat you are. I make people at work completely nuts, and my friends and family too for that matter, because I'm often talking about MMOs and they couldn't care less. The minute I mention games, their eyes glaze over and I might as well be speaking another language.

The long-term relationships I've had in online gaming have been pretty much entirely online...with very few exceptions. Once in a while my wife or I will host a gamer event at our house for one game or another, but usually we really enjoy the company and then never end up staying in touch with people.

Part of it could be that at least in my case, I tend to not be as diligent in maintaining relationships as I should be. I'm not the regular call / write type of person...I'm a bit of slacker. I'm probably not the only one. ;)
    "Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

forums - Fozzik's Hardware
    blog - The Last Bastion

Soulwalker

Find a local gaming community, thats what i did when i lived in the city and low and behold i met some good dudes from it as well. Idk what part of NY yer from but im sure somewhere in NY theres a gaming community.

Default I is a Suga Minion!

There are a lot of eastcoasers in my Vanguard guild. I am a lucky one, married a man who games. Quite a few in The Platinum Order have gotten together as often as we can, even if its just someone passing through and we meet for coffee. TPO has become over a period of time a special family of all makes and models. Some of us have even gotten our kids playing together in their mmo's.

My advice, get into a decent size guild with members who live in your area and a active vent server. Many times we will pop into vent even if not in game just to hang out. Even if you don't meet in real life, you talk to each other often and develop real friendships and guaranteed you will find at least a few others with the same interests as yourself, not just gaming.

I admire you as well OP, i wish I had enough courage to ask to meet friends in my area and follow through with it. I have friends through Kainzo, but it's hard to meet people who share your love of gaming while you're out and about, because generally... we're not all out and about. Well I know I'm not haha and I know I feel super awkward carrying on conversations with strangers. I wish you luck though! Maybe I will take notes from you if you succeed. Please share when you do!

i dont think that someone is going to troll you in this forum, if we are here at this phase of the game its becouse we are some hard-core gamers that know what your problems are by first hand :P imagine my situation, im from Argentina, and this game will not be launch in spanish, my friends doesn't speak english so im the only one who will play this game xD i can write english but enter in a ventrilo and speak it? naa, i can't do that xD so, im alone and everything i see in this game its just for myself, i cant talk to nobody about it becouse nobody cares.

you have the chance to search for a guild and use the ventrilo/skype/TeamSpeack to comunicate, ask what game they are playing and play with them until this game comes out, they will sure love it
    i speack not english good you tell me when wrong i am ! [JK!]
    Waiting for the king of the mmorpg's ...
    -Dnz

http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9949&dateline=1285304  790

I don't really hang out with other gamers, in fact most people are surprised to find out I even play games for some reason.
    More or less the gamers I know outside of the game are ones I've known for years or just met by chance conversation, use to be a time that we all chilled at the electronics stores and talked shop so to speak, but back then those stores actually sold computer software lol - Could always check out social websites, seem to be more and more popping up aimed at the gamer community.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast