+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By toxic candy

Thread: Need advice, someone may be using my email for bad things in GW2!

Default Need advice, someone may be using my email for bad things in GW2!

DO NOT CLICK ANY LINKS IN THIS THREAD UNTIL YOU READ THE WHOLE THING

So I got an email from NC Soft (or so I think it is, could be a phishing scam. Haven't clicked on any provided links) saying the following:

Greetings

We are sorry to inform you that your login account <my email address> is temporarily closed because it was involved in the sale of in-game items for cash or other items with real world value, or otherwise engaged in gathering items to be sold for cash or other items with real world value. Both actions are against our User Agreement: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/...ser-agreement/

If you wish to reactivate your account, you should immediately verify your account ownership. Click the link below to validate:
    https://account.guildwars2.com/login...2C6C305A9.html

Please keep in mind that Guild Wars 2 is a global game with hundreds of thousands of players. This means that standards of behavior must be upheld. For your convenience, you can obtain more information about our rules at the address listed below.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/

Regards,

GM Cuache
    Guild Wars 2 Support Team
    http://support.guildwars2.com

Now I should stress at no point have I ever bought, played or made an account for GW2. The only thing I have ever done regarding NC Soft was provide my email address on the official Wildstar web page to sign for beta.

The e-mail was from the following sender ArenaNet (noreply@guildwars2.com) and it was sent to my "Junk" folder.

I am not quite sure what to make of this. Any advice? I have changed the password on my e-mail account.
    Last edited by Ronaldspiers; 11-23-2013 at 01:49 PM.

The general rule when trying to figure out if something is legit is looking at the links and the sending email address.
    Both of those can be faked, though, so you kinda have to know what you're looking for.

Sending email address:
    Look for anything that is obviously incorrect. Anything with a yahoo or hotmail address is going to be fake.
    Check to see if it matches their normal email address. A "noreply@guildwars2.com" does seem right, though.
    If you want to be absolutely sure, you would need to check the headers of the email. I know that Hotmail won't let you see them unless you're on a paid account. Not sure about others.

Linked addresses:
    There are two ways that emails can have links in them. There's the raw URL, like you have posted here, and there's hypertext links. That's more like the links you see on a webpage where it is a word of phrase, and when you click on it it actually links to a page.
    Some times people will put in a valid URL to make it look real, but use a hyperlink behind it to get you to a site you don't know.

To find out the site that you're going to, look for the last period before the first slash.
    account.guildwars2.com/login is a valid login page. It is from guildwars2.com
    account.guildwars2.login.com is not. It is from login.com (don't click the two links on this line)

In this case, all the URLs that they listed are real, with the exception of the "reactivate your account" one. That has some sort of token at the end. Attempting to go to that page directly returns an error.
    If you copied this text from the body of the email, I assume that there was a hypertext link behind it. You can hover your mouse over the link and it should show you (top of screen for recent Internet Explorer, or bottom of screen for Chrome, FireFox, and older Internet Explorer) what the link is actually pointing to.
    You can check that to see if it points to a valid URL, or a fake one.

All in all, though, I am not aware of any game company that provides a link to reactivate your account. They will usually give you instructions on what to do ("go to the account management page and log in") as opposed to providing a link to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by meoka2368 View Post
    snip
    Thanks for the help that was really good advice.

Unfortunately I cant hover over that link because I tagged it as phishing scam before you had replied for the following reason:

I went and made an NC Soft account for real (not using the links from that email) using the same "banned" e-mail address. I then made a support ticket to them explaining everything.

But the fact i was able to make an account with a banned e-mail address was weird. So i tagged the e-mail as phishing scam and will wait to hear from NC Soft themselves. Surely they will have a log of it if they did in fact send the e-mail.

Thanks for your advice though I will definitely make use of it if i ever get a suspiscous e-mail like this again.
    Last edited by Ronaldspiers; 11-23-2013 at 02:40 PM.

Yeah.
    If your email address was used to create an account, then that account was banned (or even if it wasn't), I would expect that you wouldn't be able to make another account under that email address.

Soulwalker

That's a fishing email.

Anet uses zendesk.com for their support system.
    Real Anet's support address is guildwars2.zendesk.com

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by toxic candy View Post
    That's a fishing email.

Anet uses zendesk.com for their support system.
    Real Anet's support address is guildwars2.zendesk.com
    Haha, incorrectly spelled Phishing.
    I tried to edit my post but it wouldn't let me edit....idk why.

Anyway, Mouse over a provided link and see that where you’re going is where the link says you’re going.

Oh wow thanks Toxic. I will look out for that in future!

There are some like that in WoW, i seen few emails that telling me i need to login on my account the site or link they posted and it look like Blizzard, but itsnt.

So becareful what you click on and visting website, one more thing, changing the passwords wouldnt do any good, cause they use keylogger programs to steal ppls account.

+ Reply to Thread