+ Reply to Thread

Thread: worth upgrading my GTX 460 to a amd 7850 2gb?

Default worth upgrading my GTX 460 to a amd 7850 2gb?

I bought the 460 around 2 years ago and it's been a wonderful card. A matter of fact, nothing's wrong with it! I've just been looking at some upgrade options and since I can pick up a 7850 2gb for around $140 if it would be worth it.

thoughts anyone?
    twitch.tv/themaverick_gamer - mixer.com/themaverick_gamer - youtube.com/themaverickgamer

Its okay as long you dont mess around with high end spec games, like coming ESO or playing Skyrim on max settings. I got my gtx660 from newegg, just below 200 and it was a bottle rocket video card.

Check around for benchmark and speed compare to others, that what i did. This gtx660 can run Skyrim on ultra high along witn enhance graphic mods, very impressive. Not sure about the brandnames, it can be tricky getting a ripoff though. Believe mine was XFX, only say Nvidia GeForce on my system properties.

Good luck finding one

Btw you should double your RAM too.
    Last edited by sceptre; 11-18-2013 at 12:52 AM.

Ascendant

for rift? definitly No.

if you player other games, perhaps, but you might want to look at nvidia cards. (personal preferance ^^)

Quote Originally Posted by sceptre View Post
    Its okay as long you dont mess around with high end spec games, like coming ESO or playing Skyrim on max settings. I got my gtx660 from newegg, just below 200 and it was a bottle rocket video card.

Check around for benchmark and speed compare to others, that what i did. This gtx660 can run Skyrim on ultra high along witn enhance graphic mods, very impressive. Not sure about the brandnames, it can be tricky getting a ripoff though. Believe mine was XFX, only say Nvidia GeForce on my system properties.

Good luck finding one

Btw you should double your RAM too.
    my RAM is fine lol 4 gigs is plenty for what I need as I don't run anything that eats up my resources. But I am planning on upgrading to my max of 16GB of DDR3 in a few months.

and idk where you get saying that the 7850 can't run high end games? Hell, my gtx 460 can play skyrim maxed out, and that's with textures mods as well. So if an older GTX 460 can do it, I'm sure the 7850 will be even "better"

also, I am normally an nvidia guy but tight now I can't seem to find a mid range card in my price range that I can justify spending $50-$100 more for. I was also looking at the gtx 650 ti BOOST edition, but compared to the 7850 the gtx 650 boost only has a 192-bit memory bus where as the 7850 has a wider 256-bit bus and a a higher clock speed ( by a bit). I know that both of these gpus can OC like mad, but that's not really thing lol

And while I will be playing rift, it's just to all around upgrade my system

ugh....decisions decisions -_- hence why I'm trying ot get a second opinion on here.
    twitch.tv/themaverick_gamer - mixer.com/themaverick_gamer - youtube.com/themaverickgamer

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerine View Post
    THANK YOU!!!!!! lol I can never remember the name of that website xD

Noticed you mention the gtx650, not worth it, unless you degrade your graphic performance. Good luck getting your rig setup.

Quote Originally Posted by sceptre View Post
    Noticed you mention the gtx650, not worth it, unless you degrade your graphic performance. Good luck getting your rig setup.
    not just a gtx 650 -_-

the 650ti Boost. compared to my gtx 460, it offers a higher stock clock, more gddr5, and a lower TDP. and in all tests I have seen it out performs the gtx 460 in double digit margins.

so idk where you're getting your info from, but it's wrong lol

Telaran

Take a look at the AMD R7 and R9 cards, they vary in price but tend to be a bit cheaper than their older counterparts for the same performance. The R9 270 might be within you price bracket.
    I own a R9 280X and it has maxed out everything i have thrown at it (with an i5 4670K) apart from metro last light (not full antianalysing)

Quote Originally Posted by Saryad View Post
    Take a look at the AMD R7 and R9 cards, they vary in price but tend to be a bit cheaper than their older counterparts for the same performance. The R9 270 might be within you price bracket.
    I own a R9 280X and it has maxed out everything i have thrown at it (with an i5 4670K) apart from metro last light (not full antianalysing)
    i envy you lol the r280x is a beast from what I have read

Rift Chaser

Dont buy radeon cards they are crap, i know because i was always radeon user but radeon cards are bad. I havebought gtx 650 ti and i am satisfied with its performance. I would suggest nvidia because they are far superior today.

I like to use the Tom's Hardware Best Graphics Cards For The Money review, just look for the Hierarchy Chart if you don't want to read all of it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...view,3107.html

thanks for the advice everyone! but today I went ahead and picked up an amd r9 270x ^_^

installing the drivers now!! can't wait to try it out!!

+ Reply to Thread