+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Anime Recommendations

Default Anime Recommendations

Hi guiz,

I have recently starting watching anime (as in for about a month now). I am really enjoying it and just loving everything about them.

I just wanted to know if any of you have any recommendations as I am currently looking for a short series to watch. Nothing over 100 episodes please. I am hoping some of you out there watch anime as well.

Anime that I have already watched and loved:

S.A.O
    Accel World
    School days
    Mirai Nikki
    Attack on Titan (currently my favourite)

Thanks xxx
    Awesome game. #1 PvP.

As someone else who enjoyed SAO, Accel World, and Mirai Nikki (which is currently my favorite) I'd recommend looking into FLCL if you haven't already. It's a very short anime (only 6 episodes) but it's a great watch.

Also, as far as the "classics" go, the first few seasons of Digimon are really worth watching.
    Last edited by Crithappens; 11-17-2013 at 03:55 PM.
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

Here's some of my favorites (with MVs, AMVs linked).

Psychological Thrillers
    Death Note (about a guy who finds a notebook with a secret power; he must remain hidden whilst the cops/detectives try to find out his identity and stop his 'justice-filled' rampage. Detective, Psychological thriller. Great music score.)
    Death Note was pretty popular when it first hit Manga, then Anime, then two Live Movies.
    Deadman Wonderland (a more action-y psychological thriller more akin to your usual shounen action genre but with some horror at its core)
    Shiki (A disease is befalling the people of a countryside village one by one. What's going on?)

Action/Adventure
    Soul Eater (very nice combat animations, gets a little crazy)
    Kill la Kill (from the guys behind Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann comes another over-the-top combat-oriented, comedy action anime)

Mecha
    Rahxephon (singing mecha)
    Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (an 'out-there-over-the-top' drilling mecha. ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWA!)
    FLCL (Fooly Cooly) (another 'out-there' mecha with a guy who spawns a mecha out of his head)
    Visions of Escaflowne (old-school mecha. My first Anime. ) (WARNING: This is a particular scene in Escaflowne. Possible SPOILER!!)
    Star Driver (time-based mecha. I mainly like it for the singing. Each episode is highly 'repetitive' - i.e., uses the same formula. But the fights and singing are nice.)

Romantic Comedy
    Toradora! (them feels!)
    Princess Jellyfish (about a male cross-dresser and a group of otaku women living in an apartment where no men are allowed) (note: It's Josei so targeted at adult women but like shounen or seinen that doesn't mean only women can be interested in this)

Comedy
    Great Teacher Onizuka (Absolutely hilarious high school comedy about a gangster-turned-teacher and his problems teaching the 'worst' class in the school. The students try to get him fired/etc. Old-school anime art style but absolutely amazing. There's an English dub version too although don't know how good it is (most dubs aren't that great imo though) [WARNING: SPOILER!! A small 21sec scene from the Anime]

Studio Ghibli
    I pretty much recommend all Studio Ghibli works. They are just magical. I think there should be dubbed versions of each.
    You've probably heard of a few such as:
    Spirited Away
    My Neighbor Totoro
    Howl's Moving Castle
    Tales from Earthsea

Others can be found on their wiki page.

---------

Those are the ones off the top of my head. Hope some interest you!

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Dahliablood View Post
    Hi guiz,

I have recently starting watching anime (as in for about a month now). I am really enjoying it and just loving everything about them.

I just wanted to know if any of you have any recommendations as I am currently looking for a short series to watch. Nothing over 100 episodes please. I am hoping some of you out there watch anime as well.

S.A.O
    Accel World
    School days
    Mirai Nikki

Thanks xxx
    Ruroni Kenshin OAV (not the TV series, the OAV is basically a prequel anyways but in a much more adult fashion).
    Evangelion
    Trigun
    Full Metal Alchemist

Movie wise:
    Akira (really a must watch, its the defining anime film)
    Spirited Away
    Wings of Honneaimse
    High School of the Dead for lols (though women might find it borderline offensive heh).
    Last edited by Khelendross; 11-17-2013 at 04:53 PM.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

Rift Disciple

If you liked attack on titan, I can't recommend Berserk enough. You'll be disappointed that there's no 2nd season, hopefully this won't be true for AoT

You should probably watch a classic like Death Note, and if you like it, you have to watch Code Geass, imo even better than Death Note.

Thanks so much guys!! Some awesome suggestions to keep me busy. I usually just like to watch them straight through without stopping lol.

I forgot to mention that I have watched Death Note (ahmazing but a little bit of my heart died when a certain character died and I never watched the rest of it)

I have also watched 5 centimeters per second.

Oh and how could I forget, I watched AngelBeats. Cried a river while laughing so much.

I must admit I do love a good feelsy anime. Know any of those? I also like fantasy & romances like Mirai Nikki. Yuno is so cute!

I downloaded Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Is it worth watching?

I was actually really interested in Deadman Wonderland and Shiki. I was sketchy about Shiki as I heard it was about vampires and anything vampires just reminds me of Twilight >_>

Again, thank you so much for the replies.

Edit: I am unsure if I like mecha animes, but is Accel World considered one? If so then im dumb and will watch Code Geass.
    Last edited by Dahliablood; 11-17-2013 at 05:03 PM.
    Awesome game. #1 PvP.

Accel World wouldn't be considered mecha.

That said, Code Geass is definitely worth watching.
    Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is nice as well. It's not an "omg this is so good, must recommend" Anime, but it's enjoyable.

Oh, now that I think about it - I didn't mention Hellsing Ultimate either. About Vampires - not Twilight though. Absolutely loved it and Hellsing Ultimate (2006) stays true to the manga. I would not recommend watching Hellsing (the 2001-2002 anime adaptation) because the final 'boss' was a giant F U to the fans of the Hellsing manga. They pretty much decided to end the Anime short and bring in a new character as the final badguy instead of the whole SS arc.
    Last edited by Jonus; 11-17-2013 at 05:21 PM.

In terms of feel-good, romance and/or comedy Anime; I guess:

Ouran High School Host Club
    (about a girl who joins a host club and pretends to be male in order to pay off a debt she owes them. Comedy/Romance).

Hetalia: Axis Powers
    Episode 1^ (eng dub). People representing countries. Comedy. (no romance though) Very short episodes each that last ~5min.

Mudazumo Naki Kaikaku (The Legend of Koizumi)
    Mahjong (board game) Comedy Anime. It's hilarious. Even if you know nothing about Mahjong, the comedy is awesome. About world leaders fighting in Mahjong battles. It's 3 episodes.

Lucky Star
    Comedy. School life. No real plot or anything. Some like it, some hate it.

Nichijou
    Comedy. Life. No real plot. Some nice comedy moments - other times you might not get the joke due to culture/not-japanese. Above is a rather nice scene^ Another one.

Ascendant

Zone of the Enders

Quote Originally Posted by Jonus View Post
    In terms of feel-good, romance and/or comedy Anime; I guess:

Ouran High School Host Club
    (about a girl who joins a host club and pretends to be male in order to pay off a debt she owes them. Comedy/Romance).

Hetalia: Axis Powers
    Episode 1^ (eng dub). People representing countries. Comedy. (no romance though) Very short episodes each that last ~5min.

Mudazumo Naki Kaikaku (The Legend of Koizumi)
    Mahjong (board game) Comedy Anime. It's hilarious. Even if you know nothing about Mahjong, the comedy is awesome. About world leaders fighting in Mahjong battles. It's 3 episodes.

Lucky Star
    Comedy. School life. No real plot or anything. Some like it, some hate it.

Nichijou
    Comedy. Life. No real plot. Some nice comedy moments - other times you might not get the joke due to culture/not-japanese. Above is a rather nice scene^ Another one.
    I meant animes that give you the feels. As in

I like to cry in bed while watching anime.
    Awesome game. #1 PvP.

Ascendant

If thats what you want then look no further than Grave of the Fireflies. But don't be mad at me when you can't stop sobbing,
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

This may not be up your alley, but I watched Gurren Lagann earlier this year and fell in love. It's suuuper epic and has a great, motivating and empowering story arc that has great messages and feel-goods for me. But it's also probably not a show for everyone, and it has a bit of sexuality that's sometimes (literally) in your face. Still inspires me all the time though.

Rift Disciple

As Marko mentioned Studio Ghibli. Deep, intricate, emotional stuff:

http://www.imdb.com/list/AKklFzQOpeU/
    Last edited by StateOfUnrest; 11-19-2013 at 03:35 PM.

“There is no greater danger than underestimating your opponent.” - Laozi

RIFT Guide Writer

Hi guiz,

S.A.O
    Accel World
    School days
    Mirai Nikki

Thanks xxx
    You would probably like Claymore.

tau
    Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Khelendross View Post
    If thats what you want then look no further than Grave of the Fireflies. But don't be mad at me when you can't stop sobbing,
    That's not feelsy. That's outright depressing. Her example was Angelbeats and you came up with Grave of the Fireflies? That's like saying "i liked The Hobbit" and someone replying "Well you should watch Schindler's List too then".

@Dahliablood,
    Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood is awesome; one of the best in recent years. It'll definitely give you the feels you're after. Also, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. It's a magical girl anime but it's kinda brutal and a bit of a mind****, nowhere near as bad as Mirai Nikki though. Another +1 for Gurren Lagann from me. If you don't mind trying a sports anime I'd recommend Cross Game. It's a really cute "feelsy" story.
    Last edited by tau; 11-19-2013 at 03:55 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast