+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Anime Recommendations

Rift Disciple

Not under 100 eps (probably more like 500 if you include Shippuuden) but I would highly recommend Naruto.

Naruto was the first anime I got into and I still love it. The subtitled versions of course, none of the terribad US voice overs.

“There is no greater danger than underestimating your opponent.” - Laozi

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Dahliablood View Post
    Hi guiz,

I have recently starting watching anime (as in for about a month now). I am really enjoying it and just loving everything about them.

I just wanted to know if any of you have any recommendations as I am currently looking for a short series to watch. Nothing over 100 episodes please. I am hoping some of you out there watch anime as well.

Anime that I have already watched and loved:

S.A.O
    Accel World
    School days
    Mirai Nikki
    Attack on Titan (currently my favourite)

Thanks xxx
    Do you watch dubbed or sub?
    I can only recommend on dubbed anime

If you liked Angels Beat!
    I would recommend trying Kanon, Clannad, and Air (the series not the movie)

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by tau View Post
    That's not feelsy. That's outright depressing. Her example was Angelbeats and you came up with Grave of the Fireflies? That's like saying "i liked The Hobbit" and someone replying "Well you should watch Schindler's List too then".

@Dahliablood,
    Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood is awesome; one of the best in recent years. It'll definitely give you the feels you're after. Also, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. It's a magical girl anime but it's kinda brutal and a bit of a mind****, nowhere near as bad as Mirai Nikki though. Another +1 for Gurren Lagann from me. If you don't mind trying a sports anime I'd recommend Cross Game. It's a really cute "feelsy" story.
    The Hobbit is a genre film. Schindler's List is not, that's not an accurate comparison.

All she said is she wanted something that would make her cry. Well.....Grave of the Fireflies.

I didn't say it was happy.

I meant animes that give you the feels. As in

I like to cry in bed while watching anime.
    That's fairly nonspecific.

And I'd say that Grave isn't so much depressing as its just designed for maximium impact. Its a fantastic film. I actually have it on Laserdisc (yea I have a laser disc player!)
    Last edited by Khelendross; 11-20-2013 at 05:43 AM.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

The only anime I've ever enjoyed dubbed was Great Teacher Onizuka. Phenomenal show, btw.

You can look up a lot of the info for these anime from http://myanimelist.net/

I see you've already seen 5 Centimeters per Second (Byousoku 5 Centimeter) and Death Note, both of which are very good.

Other good anime (not necessarily ones that you or anyone else would enjoy, just ones that I think are quality works and not just trash thrown together on a whim):

Ah! My Goddess (Aa! Megami-sama!) - Romantic comedy
    Full Metal Panic! and Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid - Action with some mecha
    Fate/stay night - Action/Adventure
    3x3 Eyes - Action/Fantasy
    Haibane Renmei - Drama (I actually got bored of this one but it is good quality)
    Outlaw Star (Seihou Bukyou) - Sci-Fi Action
    The Irresponsible Captain Tylor (Musekinin Kanchou Tylor) - Old-school Sci-Fi Action
    Love Hina - Romantic Comedy
    Genshiken - Club Comedy
    InuYasha - Epic Fantasy (very famous)
    The Twelve Kingdoms (Juuni Kokuki) - Fantasy
    Witch Hunter Robin - Vampire/Werewolf Crime Drama
    Last Exile (Rasuto Eguzairu) - Action
    Now and Then, Here and There (Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku) - Adventure/Drama

I would also be remiss not to mention some of the big names like Bleach, Naruto, or OnePiece although those have so much filler you'd be wasting most of your time just to catch the tidbits that are valuable.
    Avatar by Rotaken on deviantART.

Again, thank you so much for the replies guys. A lot of awesome suggestions.

Currently getting through FMA Brotherhood which I really like. I've only watched about 15 eps and it's pretty funny with some feels which I like. Everytime they make these faces I laugh.

I already downloaded Deadman Wonderland, pretty intrigued to watch it. Can't wait to watch:
    Grave of fireflies (totally up my alley if I will be sobbing :P, thanks Khelendross!)
    Gurren Lagann
    Claymore (though unsure because so many females -.-, who will I stare at)
    Clannad (was in the middle of watching this, but was already being emotional all over the place)
    Code Geass
    Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica

Quick question, anyone seen Fate/Zero and Hunter x Hunter? Opinions?

I also watched the first ep of Elfen Lied, but didn't know if I should continue watching it.

Thank you so much for the replies. Makes me super happy!

Edit: I forgot to answer this but I really try to avoid watching dubbed anime. I just don't like the English voices very much. I feel when it's in Japanese, only then can they convey the depth/feeling of the dialogue.
    Last edited by Dahliablood; 11-20-2013 at 01:10 PM.
    Awesome game. #1 PvP.

Rift Disciple

I also watched the first ep of Elfen Lied, but didn't know if I should continue watching it.

Thank you so much for the replies. Makes me super happy!

Edit: I forgot to answer this but I really try to avoid watching dubbed anime. I just don't like the English voices very much. I feel when it's in Japanese, only then can they convey the depth/feeling of the dialogue.
    I totally agree with subbed>>>>>>>>> dubbed, although I started with dubbed and it wasn't THAT bad.

Hunter x Hunter is easily my favorite anime ever. In 2011 they started a remake with some new voice actors and by now it passed the original and is still running. It's mostly the same exact story minus a few fillers and is just better quality overall, so you wanna watch the 2011 version. For a (biased) comparison, I'd give FMA maybe an 8, and HxH a 9.9.

Fate Zero is the 2nd in a series but I would not recommend watching the original "Fate stay night". Fate zero is awesome and definitely worth watching but I'd skip on the predecessor unless you wanna watch it "just because". Be warned! it's a lot worse in every way and the main character is just annoying as hell.

It's been a long time since I watched Elfen Lied but I still remember it being enjoyable (in a gruesome kinda way). I'd probably say finish it since it's so short, I don't think the 1st episode reflects it at all.

I agree with the above poster that Fate/Zero is fantastic, but I wholeheartedly disagree with their comments about Fate/Stay Night. In fact, despite the fact that Fate/Zero is a prequel to Fate/Stay Night, I'd suggest watching it first despite the fact that it comes second chronologically. I found both to be great.
    Last edited by Crithappens; 11-20-2013 at 02:00 PM.
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

If you guys haven't checked it out yet. Kill la Kill is new and is hype as sh*t! Attack on Titan is right up there as well.
    Last edited by IonCannon; 11-20-2013 at 02:46 PM.

IonCannon@Deepwood
    2 sugoi 4 u

Shadowlander

Samurai Champloo - 26 episodes. one of the rare instances where the dubbed version is better than the original. historic japan, sword fighting anime splashed with humor here and there.

Cowboy Bebop - 26 episodes. again, dubbed version is better. sci-fi spaghetti western type sorta anime.

Mushishi - 26 episodes. one of the rare episodic animes. great storytelling and atmosphere throughout the series.

Moribito - 26 episodes. one of the rare animes where the hero is a woman...a smart, kickass woman.

Darker Than Black - 38 episodes over 2 seasons. near-future, secret organizations, spies, superpowers, android type anime. be warned...with how great the start and middle of the series is, its the consensus that the ending did not satisfy.

Rift Disciple

Yeah subbed all the way. Most english voice overs are terrible! Loose the essence of the characters entirely.
    Last edited by StateOfUnrest; 11-20-2013 at 04:54 PM.

“There is no greater danger than underestimating your opponent.” - Laozi

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Crithappens View Post
    I agree with the above poster that Fate/Zero is fantastic, but I wholeheartedly disagree with their comments about Fate/Stay Night. In fact, despite the fact that Fate/Zero is a prequel to Fate/Stay Night, I'd suggest watching it first despite the fact that it comes second chronologically. I found both to be great.
    To each his own, I guess. I found 1 to be amazing all throughout and the other hard to watch about 1/3 of the time. I'm not saying stay night was awful, but in comparison it was a lot worse. Then again, I watched zero first so perhaps my hopes were too high.

Death Note is a must, I suggest you watch that after you finish AOT. Claymore is also very good but it ends with an alternate ending, if you end up enjoying it you'll want to read the manga to see what happens(FYI the Manga still isn't finished,
    Spoiler!
    ).

Others I've enjoyed:
    Code Geas(I believe this has 2 seasons)
    YuYu Hakusho( 112 Episodes)
    Trigun
    Blood+
    Eureka 7
    G-Gundam(Only Gundam anime I like and it's old but imo it's pretty damn good)

Those are all different although most are pretty dark and have violence but yeah if you love AOT then I'm sure you'll love these, check them out you won't regret it!
    Last edited by DrainHeart; 11-21-2013 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggity View Post
    Fate Zero is the 2nd in a series but I would not recommend watching the original "Fate stay night". Fate zero is awesome and definitely worth watching but I'd skip on the predecessor unless you wanna watch it "just because". Be warned! it's a lot worse in every way and the main character is just annoying as hell.
    Hmm, I didn't even know about Zero. Cool. Time to go find it and start watching!

I used a Fate Stay Night wallpaper for a while. I really liked Stay Night and only wish they'd taken the time to delve a little deeper into the characters and world. It seemed like they had barely brushed the surface of what was available to them almost as though they had created a great story and then their publisher had made them cut down to just the necessities so as to make more room for combat scenes.
    Last edited by Frailaq; 11-21-2013 at 12:18 PM.
    Avatar by Rotaken on deviantART.

I don't know why I only just remembered this... or why nobody else brought it up!

Blue Exorcist! I won't spoil anything, but the premise for the anime is two brothers who are also the sons of Satan. It's an extremely well-done anime. The characters are interesting and complex, there's a very well-defined objective and conflict, and it's a good choice for both people who like their anime subbed and those who like it dubbed. I watched both versions for good measure.
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

Hunter X Hunter is fantastic - the problem is that the Manga-ka goes on long hiatus' all the time. The latest one is almost a year now - last update on the manga was in Dec 2012 and a few chapters during the latest arc have been very, very poorly drawn (almost like scribbles).

The same issue happened with D.Gray-Man's manga-ka, and the same issue I think plagued Ao no Exorcist's (Blue Exorcist's) manga-ka as well.

Those were all great Mangas that kind of started losing their fanbase due to massive hiatus'. I would still recommend watching Hunter x Hunter, D.Gray-Man and Ao no Exorcist though. Just don't expect a fulfilling ending.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast