+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By KalToreth
  • 1 Post By WyldStallyns
  • 1 Post By TheGrinnz

Thread: Steam OS and Steam's upcoming gaming rig :)

Default Steam OS and Steam's upcoming gaming rig :)

Hoi!

Not sure if this or tech is the right forum, but I recon general fits as well.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/4/50...-of-the-future <--- Pictures! It will support Keyboard and mouse, but their new gaming hand thingies look just flippin brilliant!

Now that Steam OS which will be linux based (Yessh!), I wonder if Trion will make a linux client ?
    That would be t3h sex.

Cause Rift is probably the only reason why im running dualboot with Linux and Windows
    Many other games I enjoy are linux compatible already.

So - Dear Trion - Do you plan on making a linux client ? More and more games will now see that linux will be a plattform alot of gamers will expect to be able to play on
    Last edited by KalToreth; 11-05-2013 at 09:32 AM.
    Everybody remember where we parked.
    -James Kirk, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, after landing the cloaked Klingon bird of prey in Golden Gate park

..and yes, I drive an electric car yo.

I have to admit, that I actually expected this thread to get some discussions gooing

I was wrong obviesly wrong
    Last edited by KalToreth; 11-05-2013 at 10:35 AM.
    -James Kirk, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, after landing the cloaked Klingon bird of prey in Golden Gate park

Seems no one cares, I don't. I despise Steam.
    There are not Powers above the Earth, on the Earth or beneath the Earth that can separate us from His love.

Quote Originally Posted by Kantazo View Post
    Seems no one cares, I don't. I despise Steam.

Say what you like about steam, I dont really care to much about them either.
    But their project to make an operating system dedicated to gamers, and stuff like that - THAT i can get behind. And especially since the OS itself is based on linux, and thus open and free is awsome!

Cheers for your feedback, non the less, sir!

More tools for Big gov to spy on you and your family.
    There are not Powers above the Earth, on the Earth or beneath the Earth that can separate us from His love.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Kantazo View Post
    More tools for Big gov to spy on you and your family.
    Google know more about you than the NSA do.

It's pretty much just a prebuilt PC, but made by Valve. I'd sooner get that than a "next-gen" console, but I don't need it. As far as pre-builts go though, it's probably going to be a better deal than, say, Alienware. I will probably download SteamOS though.

Unfortunately this will require getting the game engine running in openGL. Which is a good idea now but it's going to be a long time before existing DirectX games are properly ported over assuming steamOS actually takes hold.

Quote Originally Posted by WyldStallyns View Post
    It's pretty much just a prebuilt PC, but made by Valve. I'd sooner get that than a "next-gen" console, but I don't need it. As far as pre-builts go though, it's probably going to be a better deal than, say, Alienware. I will probably download SteamOS though.
    Ditto - Can't wait for the OS to be relaseed.

Still hoping a Trion employee will pop in and say "Yes, we will make a Linux client"

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    Unfortunately this will require getting the game engine running in openGL. Which is a good idea now but it's going to be a long time before existing DirectX games are properly ported over assuming steamOS actually takes hold.

Fair enough, and agreed.

But when, and im saying when, not if, steamOS is released. An OS for gamers, without all the windows crap that eats 10% of a system is out, and lets face it - More and more people are starting to embrace the open and free community that is Linux.

Mark my words, more and more game developers will take notice and make linux clients aswell.

Personaly i am exited about it. There is nothing i want more than the ability to play my games on Linux. This is perhaps the biggest step in the right direction ever. Still a long way to go, but this is exactly what we need. A big player on the market making a solid stand

+ Reply to Thread