+ Reply to Thread

Thread: rift support hardware question

Soulwalker

Default rift support hardware question

I hope put this is the right place.I just want to know if this pc will support rift at all?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell---X...&skuId=7622052

Should be fine, just choose medium gfx settings, make sure shadows are disabled.
    Pegatron IPMMB-FM (intel Z75) + Intel i7 2600 / 2x4 GB Kingston HyperX Blue DDR 1600Mhz
    Cooler Master Force 500 / 120 GB Kingston HyperX Fury / Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X 4 GB / SilentiumPC Vero L1 500W (thx Irabank!)

It'll play it, just don't expect great fps during raids/hunt rifts. Even thousand dollar PC's have problems.
    Zaviel/Ducky/Cleric/60
    Zaviel/Duckette/Rogue/25

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Duckbro View Post
    It'll play it, just don't expect great fps during raids/hunt rifts. Even thousand dollar PC's have problems.

i was looking at this one and look like a better video card.i hope this helps.

Alienware X51
    PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i3-3220 3.3GHz (3MB Cache) with Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost Technology 2.0
    MEMORY 6GB (1 X 2GB, 1 X 4GB) DDR3 at 1600MHz
    HARD DRIVE 1TB SATA 3Gb/s (7,200RPM) 32MB Cache
    OPTICAL DRIVE Slot-Loading Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD±RW, CD-RW)
    VIDEO CARD 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 645
    CHASSIS COLOR Matte Stealth Black with Dark Chrome Accents
    WIRELESS DW1506 Wireless-N WLAN Half Mini-Card
    Adobe Reader Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader
    ALIENFX AlienFX Color, Quasar Blue
    Steam Factory Installed and Steam Extra Content
    Alienhead Chrome Blue180W External Power supply

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by P123 View Post
    I hope put this is the right place.I just want to know if this pc will support rift at all?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell---X...&skuId=7622052

You can build better PC for that much money yourself

Have look here what that will cost you

anything in green will be better

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Alienware X51
    PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i3-3220 3.3GHz (3MB Cache) with Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost Technology 2.0
    No real gamer plays games on Alienware

They make status symbols not PC's

Alienware X51
    People here might remember how I harp on the single most important stat for CPU intensive games... that of course is cache arrangement. 3MB cache... is... abysmal. A common cache size on budget chips today is around 6mb. 3MB is... they make top end calculators with more cache these days. A top end gaming machine is going to have 12+.

What that system is that you listed is something called a scam. It's an absolutely horrible PC that someone is trying to pull a fast one on someone with a machine built for someone doesn't who know anything about PCs. I see this sort of thing a lot. Alienware hasn't made an Area 51 in a while. This is someone who is putting junk components into an old Alienware Area 51 case and trying to pawn it off as a performance PC.

It is a very slow CPU that was originally made for a grandmother so she could play POGO slots or something. They then took a budget GPU and spent 30 bucks and topped off the RAM. To build a PC like that out of parts you could find on the web... it's worth about 300-400 dollars and won't perform very well at all. A 645 GPU is an entry level GPU (I would never game with anything beneath a 650 personally... 660 is still affordable and even better).

The problem with this machine though is the dinosaur dog of a CPU and probably the motherboard it is connected to. It also has mismatched RAM. Many times when people use a 4GB/2GB rather than 3 2GB sticks... they are often just slapping memory in slots and it isn't matched. This can cause problems. Some motherboards require 3 sticks of RAM in order to make use of special memory management features on the MOBO itself. Then again, this may also be an old mobo or a budget version that doesn't have 3-4 slots.

I would summarize by saying:

1) This is a very dangerous PC to buy. It was either parted together by someone who doesn't know what they're doing or by someone who is trying to scam you.

2) An $800 Dell would be 2x faster than this... even if said Dell had a 460 Nvidia GPU and a slower CPU with 6mb of cache.

3) This machine was likely built to run on 2GB of RAM back in the day... and all they seem to have done is put on an extra 4GB. If the RAM is mismatched, performance may suffer. It's usually just very odd to see such a weird memory configuration (especially on an Alienware).

4) I can't stress this enough: 3MB shared cache is just...bad. For gaming, you need a good cache size (preferably a strong L2 block) in order to let your CPU handle intensive tasks (Aka playing MMOs). 12MB+ chips can get expensive... but 6 or 8 MB CPUs aren't all that expensive. A 3MB cache CPU is slower than a 2.2ghz CPU with 6MB of cache in terms of how much data it can handle over a period of time. Per instruction rates would be slower on a 2,2 6mb CPU... but multitasking rates are much higher. Gaming is all about multitasking and data management... therefore for a PC made for gaming... your number 1 stat is a good cache... and that needs to be no less than 6MB. I would honestly rather have an 8mb cache on a 2ghz dual core CPU than 3MB on a 3.2ghz 8 core CPU.

5) The power supply on this PC is also inadequate. I'm surprised it even turns on.
    Last edited by Laeris; 06-20-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Also I noted above you said X51... I misread that as an Area 51 desktop... so disregard what I said there about that. The rest still applies though. Here are my stats for comparison:

nForce 790i ULTRA SLI Mobo
    Qx9770 Quad core CPU with 12MB L2/L3 cache @ 4ghz per core
    12GB DDR3 (3x 4GB @1600)
    900 watt modular PSU
    SoundBlaster Hendrix (Audigy 2 factory modified) 32 bit sound card
    200gb 10k RPM Raptor SATA drive (mainly where I stick my games)
    I have 5 terabytes of drive space on 8 other hard drives and external drives available
    Liquid cooled CPU and GPU
    WIN 7 Ultimate edition, 64-bit OS

The above machine... the CPU and mobo are 5 years old. This machine runs Rift at nearly 80 FPS in normal locations. Like everyone else... performance suffers in large engagements but I run Rift... even large engagements and raids... at maxed out ultra settings.

My PC is built for multitasking. Not only can it run Rift, but it can also simultaneously run iTunes, a web browser (or 20) and 100 or more other background processes and the CPU doesn't go over 50% load. As I'm playing Rift right now... my CPU load is at 18% in Tempest Bay.

This PC... even if you parted it together today... would cost close to $3,000. It too is stuffed into an Alienware ATX case... but it is a PC I built myself and the only thing in it that's Alienware is the light FX controller and the original fans

A more economical alternative is an i7 CPU with 6-8mb of cache. You can part together a bundle with one on NewEgg for under $500. All told, you could drop maybe another $300-400 and finish a PC for just under $1,000 that would about triple the performance of the one you listed.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Laeris View Post
    Also I noted above you said X51... I misread that as an Area 51 desktop... so disregard what I said there about that. The rest still applies though. Here are my stats for comparison:

nForce 790i ULTRA SLI Mobo
    Qx9770 Quad core CPU with 12MB L2/L3 cache @ 4ghz per core
    12GB DDR3 (3x 4GB @1600)
    900 watt modular PSU
    SoundBlaster Hendrix (Audigy 2 factory modified) 32 bit sound card
    200gb 10k RPM Raptor SATA drive (mainly where I stick my games)
    I have 5 terabytes of drive space on 8 other hard drives and external drives available
    Liquid cooled CPU and GPU
    WIN 7 Ultimate edition, 64-bit OS

The above machine... the CPU and mobo are 5 years old. This machine runs Rift at nearly 80 FPS in normal locations. Like everyone else... performance suffers in large engagements but I run Rift... even large engagements and raids... at maxed out ultra settings.

My PC is built for multitasking. Not only can it run Rift, but it can also simultaneously run iTunes, a web browser (or 20) and 100 or more other background processes and the CPU doesn't go over 50% load. As I'm playing Rift right now... my CPU load is at 18% in Tempest Bay.

This PC... even if you parted it together today... would cost close to $3,000. It too is stuffed into an Alienware ATX case... but it is a PC I built myself and the only thing in it that's Alienware is the light FX controller and the original fans

A more economical alternative is an i7 CPU with 6-8mb of cache. You can part together a bundle with one on NewEgg for under $500. All told, you could drop maybe another $300-400 and finish a PC for just under $1,000 that would about triple the performance of the one you listed.

What would be a good build pc and what type game pc case would be good?

+ Reply to Thread